JavaScript

Senbonzakura

• Replies 8
  • Views 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen any PDF with embedded javascript yet, so I guess there's no / little consequence in disabling it :unsure:

Security experts seem to always be saying that there's a new threat in Adobe Reader/Acrobat and to disable JavaScript until Adobe fixes the problem. But after Adobe fixes that one particular problem, the security experts say to disable JavaScript again because of yet another attack.

Because of this, I just disabled JavaScript. I read all my PDF files just fine.

Have you ever seen a PDF file with JavaScript...? (That uses JavaScript)

And what is better; Using the Javascript Blacklist Framework or just have JavaScript disabled...?

• Administrator

Hmm. I hope foxit doesn't have any threat. thinking-021.gif

Have you ever seen a PDF file with JavaScript...? (That uses JavaScript)

And what is better; Using the Javascript Blacklist Framework or just have JavaScript disabled...?

For some websites that I have saved to PDF, there was something in them. I can't remember what it was now. When I tried to read the PDFs later in Adobe Acrobat, I was asked if I wanted to enable the feature forever for this PDF file or just this one time. I enabled it one time, and it was just some multimedia that was not important. I wish I could remember what it was.

I have always read that you should disable JavaScript in Adobe Reader/Acrobat to protect yourself from security vulnerabilities. Adobe even says so here: Uncheck the 'Enable Acrobat JavaScript' option

OK, I found two examples now. I had saved the Grammy list from Grammy.com into a PDF file (for both the 49th and 50th annual awards). (Aside: Hmmm, I forgot to save this year's awards list.) When I open up either file, Adobe Acrobat Pro tells me:

JavaScript is currently disabled and this document uses it for some features. Enabling JavaScript can lead to potential security issues.

Under the "Options" on the right side of the bar showing the above message, I clicked on

Enable JavaScript for this document one time only

Then I got a popup window titled "Manage Trust for Multimedia Content" saying:

You have opened a document that contains Adobe® Flash® Player multimedia content. You can

decide whether to play content now and also set options for what to do when you open this

document in future.

X Play the multimedia content this one time

_ Play the multimedia content and add this document to my list of trusted documents

Help Play Cancel

When I click the Play button, there's just a little GRAMMY.com animation.

Archived