Slow Start-up

SacredCultivator

• Administrator

Well does HijackThis work when you boot from Live CD? Or even in Safe mode?

• Replies 34
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SacredCultivator

SOrry, okay here is an update.

All my drivers to my knowledge are up to date. And the slowdown didn't occur after any update (Not that I know of at least)

Tried Safe Mode, and it didn't show "Starting Windows", so hard to tell if it was 'faster' when it just goes to the Welcome Screen.

Was able to get a HiJack This log during Safe Mode, although it looks the same I think.

-----

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 8:30:53 AM, on 12/18/2009

Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3504)

MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Boot mode: Safe mode

Running processes:

C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\asdf\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ask.com?o=14196&l=dis

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe

O2 - BHO: IDM Helper - {0055C089-8582-441B-A0BF-17B458C2A3A8} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IDMIECC.dll

O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [startCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')

O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = ?

O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all links with IDM - C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IEGetAll.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{B67F5014-2843-4503-9442-455333B9642C}: NameServer = 208.67.222.222,208.67.222.220

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe

O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe

O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: NetLimiter (nlsvc) - Locktime Software - C:\Program Files\NetLimiter 2 Pro\nlsvc.exe

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)

--

End of file - 4795 bytes

-----

Anyway, I sorta found out the reason as I did some testing... Seems I loaded a bit TOO MANY Wallpapers into Windows 7 Manager. Meaning upon the "Welcome Screen" it changes to the wallpapers I have loaded. And I tried disabling it and although there is still a good gap between the "Starting Windows" screen and "Welcome" screen, I did notice a HUGE decrease, so faster bootup. So now I only have a few wallpapers loaded which seems to be about the same boot-up as when it is disabled.

I still think you could benefit from optimizing your services and disabling those which have file missing errors.. You can do this manually .. or use something else.. Point being that half of the services you have running.. that the system is looking to start and run.. are missing.. which will slow system startup.. Some of these require you go into other areas of your PC such as network configuration...The reason I suggested the Optimization Manager in Windows 7 Manager.. is that it simply does this by asking you several questions going through the steps.. from start to finish, in certain areas.. which disables un-necessary utilities and tools... and the fix stays.. unless you alter the system after that point... Configuring your system to do just what you want it to.. and nothing more .. or nothing more than you need can help it from even a normal fresh install... It is how I get 7 Ultimate to run on 512 MB of RAM on a system which was created and built in 2000.. almost 10 years old with a 32 MB Video Chip.. without loosing the function of a normal installation, ( Plus I have O&O Cache running ).. I mean do you really encrypt your data? Use our system as a fax? run VMWare? Need Bluetooth access? using a third-party firewall or ICS? need a tray icon for ATI? Virtual Disk Service? Use Windows Backup Service? Need Volume Shadow Copy Service? Run a server which uses several Database resources? Just a quick few I picked out which can all together be ramping a lot of usage and taking away from your startup response.. The less the better... not to mention if your starting up uT on boot then your really hurting it..

IF you haven't really cleaned your task well.. there are several which poll out to the Internet on boot..and startup rather they are needed or not.. ( which also can be a reason that some of these came back because they are scheduled to run.. un-necessarily I might add ) .. especially if you have no need for them and use other applications for the very same thing.. So yeah it can get all tangled and gooey..in there..

IMO.. I see no myth here.. or point of confusion .. I think its plain..

IF you really want to get down to the basics.. I would do a fresh installation and before you do ANYTHING, installations or anything.. walk through ALL of the settings and get windows ripped down to the what you need to have it do ONLY what you need.. don't say well I might use it and leave it.. just rip it down to what and how your using it now.. it can all be re-configured later if something changes.. optimizing the system and getting it perfect..THEN defrag the system.. and Install your programs one by one.. configuring and checking each one.. protection .. all that ..all customizations and installations and programs configured.. Run a disk cleanup..THEN defrag again, clean your registry, startup entries to minimum of what you need.. to boot and be ready to go... May even make a disk image at that point.. But none of those files should be showing up as file missing UNLESS there is a problem with HiJack This!...

If you go about it right I think it would be simple to get it back as fast as it should be for smooth booting.. The only time mine is even slightly slow is from a cold boot.. and first log in .. but even that takes like no time.. ( on a crappy system with everything running you seen in the log I posted.. ) after that its almost instantaneously ready to go each time..CLICK.. BAANG.. point and shoot should be all there is to it..

SacredCultivator

Yeah I have cleaned out my Services, I might have a few that I don't use but am not too aware of.. But definitely i do use Windows 7 Manager to do the cleaning of most services/ tasks.

There might still be a few more that I didn't touch that can probably be disabled, but unno. Either case, it's no biggy on my end given as I mentioned, I don't restart my computer often anyway, and I'm in no rush.

Whenever I plan to Format my PC will be when I do things more carefully, but for now, it's okay.

Thanks for the help people.

-----

EDIT:

Come to think about it.. for the Task Scheduluer part.. if I don't need it.. would it be wise to just DELETE it? or to Disable? As I actually see a few things i don't need that can be deleted if not disabled.

@SacredCultivator:

This info for Task Scheduler is from XP, regardless you might want to look at it: Link

The info for 7 is incomplete.

SacredCultivator

Hmms, so if anything, from that, are you suggesting that I just disable the Task Scheduler? Cause I don't think I want that =X

Hijackthis should be runned at normal boot. Safe boot won't start the processes that are 'lethal'

--

Checked you're HJT log. It's clean, didn't notice any unwanted stuff..

The 'file missing' lines can be fixed if you want.

--

Oh these lines come back.

You should read this if you want them removed ;)

Archived