Bill Gates steps down from Microsoft

Karlston

Bill Gates steps down from Microsoft board

Microsoft co-founder exits the board 45 years after starting the company.

US Microsoft founder, Co-Chairman of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Bill Gates, poses for a picture on October 9, 2019, in Lyon, central eastern France, during the funding conference of Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
Enlarge / US Microsoft founder, Co-Chairman of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Bill Gates, poses for a picture on October 9, 2019, in Lyon, central eastern France, during the funding conference of Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
Jeff Pachoud | Getty Images

Just over 20 years after stepping down as CEO of Microsoft and six years after relinquishing his position as Chairman of the Board, Microsoft cofounder Bill Gates has resigned from the Microsoft Board of Directors. Gates, 64, is leaving the board to spend more time on philanthropic ventures.

"I have made the decision to step down from both of the public boards on which I serve—Microsoft and Berkshire Hathaway—to dedicate more time to philanthropic priorities including global health and development, education, and my increasing engagement in tackling climate change," Gates wrote in a post on LinkedIn announcing the decision. "The leadership at the Berkshire companies and Microsoft has never been stronger, so the time is right to take this step."

Gates founded Microsoft in 1975 with Paul Allen, and their first product was Altair BASIC. The company's breakout product was Windows, which became the world's most-used desktop operating system. Gates steered the company through a period of massive growth but also set the table for his successor, Steve Ballmer, to deal with antitrust issues. Microsoft was found by both US and European regulators to have abused its dominant market position for both Web browsers and operating systems in the 2000s, which resulted in fines and consent decrees.

In 2000, Gates used $5 billion of his personal fortune to launch the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which has become one of the largest philanthropic ventures in the world.

“On behalf of our shareholders and the Board, I want to express my deep appreciation to Bill for all his contributions to Microsoft. As a member of the Board, he challenged us to think big and then think even bigger. He leaves an enduring legacy of curiosity and insight that serves as an inspiration for us all,” said John W. Thompson, Microsoft independent board chair.

Source: Bill Gates steps down from Microsoft board (Ars Technica)  

• Replies 4
  • Views 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bill Gates has announced he will stand down from the public board of Microsoft, the company he founded in 1975.

He will also step down from the board of Berkshire Hathaway.

Mr Gates' resignation will allow him to focus more on his philanthropy efforts.

The world's second richest man made the announcement in a statement posted to LinkedIn.
Bill Gates is stepping down from the board of Microsoft.

Bill Gates is stepping down from the board of Microsoft. (AP)

"I have made the decision to step down from both of the public boards on which I serve – Microsoft and Berkshire Hathaway – to dedicate more time to philanthropic priorities including global health and development, education, and my increasing engagement in tackling climate change.

"The leadership at the Berkshire companies and Microsoft has never been stronger, so the time is right to take this step.

"Serving on the Berkshire board has been one of the greatest honours of my career.

"Warren and I were the best of friends long before I joined and will be long after. I look forward to our continued partnership as co-trustees of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and co-founders of The Giving Pledge.
Bill Gates became the world's richest man in 1995.

Bill Gates became the world's richest man in 1995. (AP)

"With respect to Microsoft, stepping down from the board in no way means stepping away from the company.

Microsoft will always be an important part of my life's work and I will continue to be engaged with Satya and the technical leadership to help shape the vision and achieve the company's ambitious goals. I feel more optimistic than ever about the progress the company is making and how it can continue to benefit the world.

"I am looking forward to this next phase as an opportunity to maintain the friendships and partnerships that have meant the most to me, continue to contribute to two companies of which I am incredibly proud, and effectively prioritise my commitment to addressing some of the world's toughest challenges."
Bill Gates still wears a $50 Casio wristwatch.

Bill Gates still wears a $50 Casio wristwatch. (AP)

Mr Gates stepped down as CEO of Microsoft in 2000.

Mr Gates, 64, has an estimated wealth of A$180 billion.

In recent years Mr Gates has dedicated much of his efforts on getting the world prepared for a flu pandemic.

Since around 1986 whenever my Windows machine froze, I would reboot and shout out "The Bill Gates Bug Strikes Again"! 

Now whenever I give my keyboard 'the three finger salute' (Cntl, Alt, Del) , I will be at a loss for words. 😀

Here's an excerpt from another related news article showing a commentary by CEO Nadella:

"Bill founded our company with a belief in the democratizing force of software and a passion to solve society's most pressing challenges. And Microsoft and the world are better for it.

I see more of a dictatorship with Win 10. Like the STASI with their data collection...

Bill leaves Microsoft board

Microsoft was at its highest peak when Bill Gates ran it. After he stepped down as CEO, Microsoft progressively got worse.

Archived