firewall problem

myidisbb

vista 64 Ultimate

using este security 4 suite with box addon. strict protection mode click on. in network and internet i want network discovery and file sharign turn off. but when i do that windows firewall turns on. in order to have windows fireall off i have to have the discovery adn file sharing turn on.

what can i do to solve this bs problem?

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay to better understand.. when you switch your settings for the connection itself, it turns the Windows Firewall on? Would seem to me that disabling the services for the protocol would stop that issue..Since I don't have Vista anymore its a little hard to play around and see what you mean though..

Okay to better understand.. when you switch your settings for the connection itself, it turns the Windows Firewall on? Would seem to me that disabling the services for the protocol would stop that issue..Since I don't have Vista anymore its a little hard to play around and see what you mean though..

yes it comes on. in the Network and sharing center it even says windows firewall is enable when you click file sharing or network discovery off. i do not rmemeber this happening before. a update problem?

You already tried turn the services off?

If no: Open a command prompt (or go through "run...")

tipe "services.msc" (need adm rights)

in the window search for Windows Firewall

right-click it and go to properties - startup type to disable.

Do the same for :

Plug and play (port 5355)

Remote Procedure Call (RPC port 135)

Server

SSDP (port 1900)

TCP/IP NetBIOS helper (137 to 139)

In control Panel, go to

System and Maintance

go to System

go to Remote Settings

Uncheck "Allow remote assistance"

And check "Don't allow connections to this computer"

I really wanna some guy can confirm what i wrote here for peace of mind.

Please make a backup before change.

Well its mostly been my experience that when you shut off RPC .. you may loose Internet and Network connections.. I don't think you need that one turned off.. if you turn off Server, no system should or will be able to get files fro your system, unless you run a server like Apache or something...and technically even for some system performance.. It can be useful to turn off services you do not need .. so this may be the desired route.. BUT

I started thinking about this .. and I believe that in your Rules and Zones editing for ESS..( Personal Firewall > Rules and zones > Zone and rule editor > Rules with no application assigned... ) You have a drop down that will allow you to shape your connection how you want.. so you can disable all of those things there without completely disabling your system from doing so.. Which actually allows you to retain this function in the event that you need to do a Network recovery.. or want to temporarily connect to another system on your private home network.. Without having to go through all of the complicated mess of remember what to turn on and how.. and setting the whole thing up again.. The only concern that I have with it is any state of vulnerability that it may or could have during startup, which is unlikely but a though nevertheless..

As far as this being a problem in Vista I am not really sure, unless Vista defaults to use this method rather than disabling the services.. Seems as though you would need to go through another method to do that like adding or removing Windows Components .. which these services actually are.. A system optimizer will also do this for you like Yamicsoft Vista Manager which actually allows you to go through and answer some questions and based upon those answers makes adjustments to the configuration of the system..

You already tried turn the services off?

If no: Open a command prompt (or go through "run...")

tipe "services.msc" (need adm rights)

in the window search for Windows Firewall

right-click it and go to properties - startup type to disable.

(did the above. when i changed the file sharing or network discovery is pops up that windows firewall will be enable)

Do the same for :

Server

SSDP (port 1900)

(dont see this helping stop the windows firewall. i think this is a sp2 bug )

In control Panel, go to

System and Maintance

go to System

go to Remote Settings

Uncheck "Allow remote assistance"

And check "Don't allow connections to this computer"

(did the above)

I really wanna some guy can confirm what i wrote here for peace of mind.

Please make a backup before change.

Do the same for :

Server

SSDP (port 1900)

(dont see this helping stop the windows firewall. i think this is a sp2 bug )

This will end you problem with the Filesharing. If you turn it off, you not need close the ports at the firewall (the system will not remain listening at this ports).

Leave the Remote Procedure Call (RPC port 135) service on like heath28m suggested.

The ports 1900 e 5355 is your choice. Not really needed switch off. Only a suggestion.

Archived