School help request

shought

I'm writing an essay, well, not just an essay really, it's 25% of a combination grade we get, for my philosophy class and it's going to be about manipulation(includes commercials, dictators, in 'every-day conversations' and (maybe) cults).

I've searched around a little and it seems there's not too much information floating around the internet(that comes up with a Google search) so I'd like to ask you (all) if there's any places(online kind of places) you know where I could find information about the subject?

It's not due any time soon so don't rush into the white house with a tank requesting every bit of information they have on the subject, that's not necessary. (would be cool though...)

Anything helps!

Thanks in advance.

ps I know I could probably get some more people to reply if I'd post this on sites that are for educational purposes... the thing is, I don't want to be seen anywhere near those places :P

• Replies 26
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically speaking EVERYTHING can be considered psychological manipulation because manipulation is trying to make someone do something you want. And well, everything around you defines what you are going to do, some things make a big differences(like a tree, most people won't try to drive their bicycle into a tree) or small differences(like a piece of glass, or the difference of colors between two rooms(which may result in you feeling more down or happy in one or the other).

But I'd definitely like to include commercial songs into my essay, although I don't believe there's been much research on this subject... (maybe there is though, I'm no expert)

Edit: Do remember: it'll be a philosophical essay which means that just telling that it works isn't enough, I'll have to explain(not into detail, but up till a certain level) how it works. Although knowing that it works is a good start :D

Edit: Got a better definition for ya: Psychological manipulation is the intentional influencing of someone's actions or thoughts.

I don't know if this could help you :

000a11d2medium.jpg

A classic examination of how our thoughts and feelings are manipulated by business, media and politicians, The Hidden Persuaders was the first book to expose the hidden world of “motivation research,” the psychological technique that advertisers use to probe our minds in order to control our actions as consumers. Through analysis of products, political campaigns and television programs of the 1950s, Packard shows how the insidious manipulation practices that have come to dominate today’s corporate-driven world began. Featuring an introduction by Mark Crispin Miller, The Hidden Persuaders has sold over one million copies, and forever changed the way we look at the world of advertising.

Originally published in 1957 and now back in print to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary, The Hidden Persuaders is Vance Packard’s pioneering and prescient work revealing how advertisers use psychological methods to tap into our unconscious desires in order to “persuade” us to buy the products they are selling.

http://w17.easy-share.com
Sharecode: /1702795621.html

Downloading, thanks for the effort! (I'll have a look before I thank you for the Ebook as well :rolleyes: )

Edit: Thanks for the Ebook, as well :D

At your service :D

There is also this ebook :

000d0520medium.jpg

The Forger's Spell: A True Story of Vermeer, Nazis, and the Greatest Art Hoax of the Twentieth Century by Edward Dolnick

As riveting as a World War II thriller, The Forger's Spell is the true story of Johannes Vermeer and the small-time Dutch painter who dared to impersonate him centuries later. The con man's mark was Hermann Goering, one of the most reviled leaders of Nazi Germany and a fanatic collector of art.

It was an almost perfect crime. For seven years a no-account painter named Han van Meegeren managed to pass off his paintings as those of one of the most beloved and admired artists who ever lived. But, as Edward Dolnick reveals, the reason for the forger's success was not his artistic skill. Van Meegeren was a mediocre artist. His true genius lay in psychological manipulation, and he came within inches of fooling both the Nazis and the world. Instead, he landed in an Amsterdam court on trial for his life.

http://uploading.com
Sharecode: /files/get/NZ9GTMTQ/
http://www.uploading.com
Sharecode: /files/NZ9GTMTQ/0060825413_The_Forger_s_Spell.rar.html

Another one :

000e48femedium.jpg

The Power of Persuasion: How We're Bought and Sold

"If you're like most people, you think advertising and marketing work--just not on you. Robert Levine's The Power of Persuasion demonstrates how even the best-educated cynics among us can be victimized by sales pitches."

--The Globe and Mail

"Levine puts [his] analysis in the service of his real mission--to arm the reader against manipulation."

--The Wall Street Journal

"This wonderful book will change the way you think and act in many realms of your life."

--Philip Zimbardo former president, American Psychological Association

http://depositfiles.com
Sharecode:  /files/ht0ifppqy

This is my last one :

000d4b15medium.jpg

Robert A. Caper, "A Mind of One's Own: A Kleinian View of Self and Object"

This collection of papers, written over the last six years by Robert Caper, focuses on the importance of psychological development of distinguishing self from object, and the central role that this difficult psychological disentanglement plays in the therapeutic effect of psychoanalysis. In doing so, the author explains what differentiates the practice of psychoanalysis from psychotherapy; while psychotherapy aims to ease the client towards "good mental health" through careful suggestion and manipulation of the client's character, psychoanalysis attempts the more radical task of allowing the client to discover who he/she is and isn't. In particular, it seeks to allow the client to see the internal and external reality, clear of fantasies, with the self wholly distinguished from other people and other objects.

http://uploading.com
Sharecode:  /files/PRFJVVUE/0415199115.pdf.html

I think that will suffice for now :P Am not saying I'll read them all, pfff! :rolleyes:

I don't know if this could help you :

000a11d2medium.jpg

A classic examination of how our thoughts and feelings are manipulated by business, media and politicians, The Hidden Persuaders was the first book to expose the hidden world of “motivation research,” the psychological technique that advertisers use to probe our minds in order to control our actions as consumers. Through analysis of products, political campaigns and television programs of the 1950s, Packard shows how the insidious manipulation practices that have come to dominate today’s corporate-driven world began. Featuring an introduction by Mark Crispin Miller, The Hidden Persuaders has sold over one million copies, and forever changed the way we look at the world of advertising.

Originally published in 1957 and now back in print to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary, The Hidden Persuaders is Vance Packard’s pioneering and prescient work revealing how advertisers use psychological methods to tap into our unconscious desires in order to “persuade” us to buy the products they are selling.

http://w17.easy-share.com
Sharecode: /1702795621.html

This looks like an interesting book. I'm gonna take up psychology when I go to college so this would help. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I need the name of the article and the author ;) . I'm going to assume the journal name in this case is PsycARTICLES.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure, I don´t see any information about that?

Any article, all articles? :P

Edit: Ah, I think I found it.

'Online visual merchandising (VMD) cues and consumer pleasure and arousal: Purchasing versus browsing situation (p 141-165)'

'The relationship between trusting beliefs and Web site loyalty: The moderating role of consumer motives and flow (p 166-185)'

and maybe this one:

'Toward an integrated framework for online consumer behavior and decision making process: A review (p 94-116)'

Should anyone else be able to find the second one, I'd really like that one as well, it could serve as a good bridge from marketing to cults ;)

• Administrator

No... the journal paper really doesn't exist.

If you give some more details (i.e author, year, edition etc), maybe i can find it.

Thanks for your help Lite.

If anybody is interested in reading it after I finish it, let me know.

Archived