which partition is better MBR or GPT

truemate

one of my main 500GB HDD i am moving from 32bit (using it from yrsss) to 64bit win7.

NOW WHILE DOING SO I COME tO KNOW abt this GPT... Is it any good to move frm MBR partition to GPT on this Drive

what i know that for more than 2tb GPT is good.. ahh i wont use 2TB.. max 1TB

nor i will make more than 4 partition... my gigabyte board support  UEFI.

So what should i do.. leave it MBR and install 64 bit or.... !!

and my d drive full of main data... moving to GPT need a clean full drive format ?

• Replies 30
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi bud,

From my experience, with Windows 7, you rarely benefit from using UEFI because Windows 7 does not have the security improvements that UEFI hook into. I have personally ran Windows 7 in UEFI and it works but I did not feel much of a difference. As for the conversion, you will need to either convert the partition type from legacy to UEFI with a partitioning tool, or wipe the drive out. It would be better to do a wipe first as UEFI create 4 partitions with the OS vs legacy and the 2 partitions.

If you really want to try UEFI with Windows 7, I would recommend backing up the entire drive first, destroy the partition tables, install Windows 7 fresh, restore any files that you previously backed up. Unfortunately with this method, you would need to do a reinstall of most programs as well and an image backup and then restore would just undo the partition changes as this information is also stored in images.

The end of the day, it is up to you. Like I said, I do not personally believe that one really benefits from using UEFI besides using a boot drive of 2TB or greater in Windows 7. However, if you are going to either Windows 8 or 10, I would use UEFI.

56 minutes ago, sam3971 said:

The end of the day, it is up to you. Like I said, I do not personally believe that one really benefits from using UEFI besides using a boot drive of 2TB or greater in Windows 7. However, if you are going to either Windows 8 or 10, I would use UEFI.

I Will never use my main internal HDD of 2TB.. thats sure.

win 10 is secondary option.. as i already install win10 ltsc on another 1tb hdd.. there i done it GPT.. (not wipe whole drive.. use a soft which changed my HDD frm MBR to GPT..without any need to move files) taken hardly a min... Though after installing win 10 on that hdd it was showing error...cant install in this partition..so format one of the partition during that installation time and than win 10 got installed..

btw i dont seen any difference... instead it runs little slow

Israeli_Eagle

GPT is the more modern system, MBR became a bit old and has limits. And modern BIOS and OS systems per default UEFI based nowadays. Tho there is no real speed difference of them. But upgrading from HDD to SSD as boot device is for sure a huge difference!! :coolwink:

28 minutes ago, truemate said:

I Will never use my main internal HDD of 2TB.. thats sure.

win 10 is secondary option.. as i already install win10 ltsc on another 1tb hdd.. there i done it GPT.. (not wipe whole drive.. use a soft which changed my HDD frm MBR to GPT..without any need to move files) taken hardly a min... Though after installing win 10 on that hdd it was showing error...cant install in this partition..so format one of the partition during that installation time and than win 10 got installed..

btw i dont seen any difference... instead it runs little slow

Okay man, I know one can convert from MBR to GPT but errors do not surprise me. As Israeli_Eagle said, GPT is much more modern but speed won't really be applicable, more security. It is best to start fresh when converting them over because, like I said, when you set windows up in GPT, it will create 4 partitions, including the OS. MBR only typically creates 2 partitions, there may be issues since the convert won't automatically create the additional partitions.

3 hours ago, truemate said:

So what should i do.. leave it MBR and install 64 bit

yes do this!

In your case you will gain nothing good by formatting partition to GPT. 

In case of partition failure GPT has backup part which can be used to recover the partition table.

GPT better in my opinion.

Israeli_Eagle
37 minutes ago, zigzag said:

In case of partition failure GPT has backup part which can be used to recover the partition table.

GPT better in my opinion.

And any good partition manager (for example AOMEI) can change it anyway without any data loss, so no format needed.

7 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

And any good partition manager (for example AOMEI) can change it anyway without any data loss, so no format needed.

do these soft fully 100% convert it to GPT... just asking

as by default windows way..thru cmd or disk management if we do, than it will format the whole drive and than make it GPT... why they do in this long process... For better results ?

23 hours ago, sam3971 said:

Okay man, I know one can convert from MBR to GPT but errors do not surprise me. As Israeli_Eagle said, GPT is much more modern but speed won't really be applicable, more security. It is best to start fresh when converting them over because, like I said, when you set windows up in GPT, it will create 4 partitions, including the OS. MBR only typically creates 2 partitions, there may be issues since the convert won't automatically create the additional partitions.

yea that 4 partition thing i seen in my other win 10 HDD..when i convert it to GPT for the first time i was shock to see..why so additional tiny tiny partitions there...

i thought i done something wrong while installing lol.. but afterwards i come to know its normal when we do partition in GPT... 

something like this.. healthy boot..healthy recovery etc

change-partition-size.gif

Israeli_Eagle
9 minutes ago, truemate said:

do these soft fully 100% convert it to GPT... just asking

as by default windows way..thru cmd or disk management if we do, than it will format the whole drive and than make it GPT... why they do in this long process... For better results ?

Yes, they can!! And truly nothing is lost then and nothing to format.

You can also then change any partitions, different size or location etc (except Bitlocker)...

5 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Yes, they can!! And truly nothing is lost then and nothing to format.

You can also then change any partitions, different size or location etc (except Bitlocker)...

hmmmm okies... so if i want to do GPT now or in future that soft method is better.. As who will backup whole drive and then wipe it all... Dont have so much time.

btw i never use bitlocker....

Israeli_Eagle
1 minute ago, truemate said:

hmmmm okies... so if i want to do GPT now or in future that soft method is better.. who will backup whole drive and then wipe it all...

btw i never use bitlocker....

Full backup is always recommended, just in case if something goes wrong.

Btw... All my partitions are encrypted via Bitlocker (with TPM). :coolwink:

Israeli_Eagle
48 minutes ago, truemate said:

yea that 4 partition thing i seen in my other win 10 HDD..when i convert it to GPT for the first time i was shock to see..why so additional tiny tiny partitions there...

i thought i done something wrong while installing lol.. but afterwards i come to know its normal when we do partition in GPT... 

something like this.. healthy boot..healthy recovery etc

change-partition-size.gif

Sometimes you also have to clean the partitions a bit, but of course also depends which OS, BIOS etc.
But that can also only do better software without format or loosing data.
A bit deep knowledge about all this is strongly recommended!

This is for example my main 'clean' GPT boot disk:

Clipboard01.jpg.01c01f396e4ae7696d9230b50cf634f3.jpg

JeepWillys58
On 3/2/2020 at 2:23 PM, Israeli_Eagle said:

Sometimes you also have to clean the partitions a bit, but of course also depends which OS, BIOS etc.
But that can also only do better software without format or loosing data.
A bit deep knowledge about all this is strongly recommended!

This is for example my main 'clean' GPT boot disk:

Clipboard01.jpg.01c01f396e4ae7696d9230b50cf634f3.jpg

Dear friend @Israeli_Eagle,

I saw that you use your system with Bitlocker, what are the advantages of using it? Does the system lose performance or doesn't it make that much difference?

Thanks in advanced.

Regards

Israeli_Eagle
3 minutes ago, JeepWillys58 said:

Dear friend @Israeli_Eagle,

I saw that you use your system with Bitlocker, what are the advantages of using it? Does the system lose performance or doesn't it make that much difference?

Thanks in advanced.

Regards

Dear @JeepWillys58,

that's simply my security & privacy system. Nobody ever can open it, not even to boot. Means every byte is strongly encrypted and I use the highest level XTS-AES 256 Bit with TPM.

You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

Regards & Best Greetx!

JeepWillys58
2 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Dear @JeepWillys58,

that's simply my security & privacy system. Nobody ever can open it, not even to boot. Means every byte is strongly encrypted and I use the highest level XTS-AES 256 Bit with TPM.

You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

Regards & Best Greetx!

But tell me, in terms of performance, does that make any significant difference?

I'm thinking of doing this, but I'm afraid it will affect the system's performance and make it slower.

Also let me show you the following scenario, in the recent past, I downloaded the HDD Clone 9 from here from the forum and installed it with the patch provided on the thread, then I tried to use it to clone a disk, but right at the beginning of the process it crashed the screen HDD and started using all the processor and memory processing on my machine, when I realized this, I saw that it actually ended up destroying the data of all HDDs that were connected to that machine, even by USB, but by then it was too late and I lost all data from all HDDs.

If I activate BitLocker, would it protect me from such an incident?

Regards

Israeli_Eagle
2 minutes ago, JeepWillys58 said:

But tell me, in terms of performance, does that make any significant difference?

I'm thinking of doing this, but I'm afraid it will affect the system's performance and make it slower.

Depends which hardware you use, strong CPUs nowadays laugh about that and nothing becomes slower at all. For example my Ryzen 3700X can encrypt 73 GB/sec (AIDA64 CPU AES Bench)!!

6 minutes ago, JeepWillys58 said:

Also let me show you the following scenario, in the recent past, I downloaded the HDD Clone 9 from here from the forum and installed it with the patch provided on the thread, then I tried to use it to clone a disk, but right at the beginning of the process it crashed the screen HDD and started using all the processor and memory processing on my machine, when I realized this, I saw that it actually ended up destroying the data of all HDDs that were connected to that machine, even by USB, but by then it was too late and I lost all data from all HDDs.

I use for backups Macrium Reflect and never had any problems yet. And I also backup from SSD NVMe to an old HDD partition which is also Bitlocker encrypted. But still everything crazy fast!

10 minutes ago, JeepWillys58 said:

It cannot prevent OS errors or bad software which might harm the system when running, but a full backup helps for sure.

JeepWillys58
6 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

For example my Ryzen 3700X can encrypt 73 GB/sec (AIDA64 CPU AES Bench)!!

Can you tell me where on AIDA64 can you see this information, please?

Regards

Israeli_Eagle
9 minutes ago, JeepWillys58 said:

Can you tell me where on AIDA64 can you see this information, please?

Regards

No problem... :coolwink:

You only have to start the Benchmark once.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.bb7c2db9e88ab4a21d8012ce1f5922c3.jpg

P.S.: And you not need a Rocket-CPU, because storage devices never needs such high levels.

JeepWillys58
3 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

No problem... :coolwink:

You only have to start the Benchmark once.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.bb7c2db9e88ab4a21d8012ce1f5922c3.jpg

kkkk, my result is like a museum machine...

Results 17132Mb/s... I use as ASUS M5A99X EVO with an AMD FX-8320 and 32Gb DDR3 1600MHz....

But, anyway, thanks for your time and for sharing your knowledge with me.

A big hug.

Regards!

Israeli_Eagle
Just now, JeepWillys58 said:

kkkk, my result is like a museum machine...

Results 17132Mb/s... I use as ASUS M5A99X EVO with an AMD FX-8320 and 32Gb DDR3 1600MHz....

But, anyway, thanks for your time and for sharing your knowledge with me.

A big hug.

Regards!

No problem at all, your machine is strong enough for such!!
Think about it....... Even a normal SATA SSD can only read&write around 500 MB/sec, that is almost nothing to encrypt.

You're fully welcome, bro!! Enjoy the evening and a nice hug back! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 6:46 AM, JeepWillys58 said:

...Also let me show you the following scenario, in the recent past, I downloaded the HDD Clone 9 from here from the forum and installed it with the patch provided on the thread, then I tried to use it to clone a disk, but right at the beginning of the process it crashed the screen HDD and started using all the processor and memory processing on my machine, when I realized this, I saw that it actually ended up destroying the data of all HDDs that were connected to that machine, even by USB, but by then it was too late and I lost all data from all HDDs.

Regards

whoa that sucks.  i usually thought the downloads here are pretty safe.  do you know if this HD Clone 9 destroyed your data because it detected the patch and took revenge?  that will be damn nasty.

On 3/3/2020 at 2:33 PM, Israeli_Eagle said:

Dear @JeepWillys58,

that's simply my security & privacy system. Nobody ever can open it, not even to boot. Means every byte is strongly encrypted and I use the highest level XTS-AES 256 Bit with TPM.

You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

Regards & Best Greetx!

Dear @Israeli_Eagle,

Does encrypting the partitions by BitLocker save your system and other data from a Ransomware attack too?

In the recent past, I lost all my personal data on non-system device to such an attack. Noting could be recovered.

Archived