Software

Senbonzakura

If you have installed for example a firewall from Comodo and you install it again when Comodo is already installed... Is that possible, what will happens if you do that?

And if you have an older version of a software, and you want to update to the newest version; then you just uninstall and then reinstall. But is it possible to just only reinstall...? (Not deleteing the old version first, but just immediately install the new version) I already know that for Java it's possible, but what for other software; is it that for each software it's different...?

And is it possible that software just disappears...? Let's say, software that deletes other software stealth...? For example, you have installed a software, and the company of that software has got angry because you want to uninstall their software and that they have build a kind of component in that software that deletes some software of your computer...?

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have installed for example a firewall from Comodo and you install it again when Comodo is already installed... Is that possible, what will happens if you do that?

And if you have an older version of a software, and you want tio update to the newest version; then you just uninstall and then reinstall. But is it possible to just only reinstall...? (Not deleteing the old version first, but just immediately install the new version) I already know that for Java it's possible, but what for other software; is it that for each software it's different...?

And is it possible that software just disappears...? Let's say, software that deletes other software stealth...? For example, you have installed a software, and the company of that software has got angry because you want to uninstall their software and that they have build a kind of component in that software that deletes some software of your computer...?

Uninstall any existing software first, before installing a new version. But if you want you can also use the update feature of the software that way it is safer. But most of the time, uninstalling then reinstalling the new version is the safest way to do it.

Regarding your last question, I doubt any legit software company would do that just because you have uninstalled their software (Rogue software might do that though)

But if you want you can also use the update feature of the software that way it is safer.

I assume that if there isn't an update feature, then the only way to update is uninstall and reinstall...

And what about the first question...?

To answer your first question .. several things can happen.. First any files in use by you or loaded being read or run by the system, will not be able to be overwritten nor updated.. Second invalid and old registry entries can cause malfunctions not common but possible.. also old settings and program features can be effected. With some software, it is possible to update in this manner but only if the installer and software provide for it.. However it is better to take the first advise given regardless and uninstall .. the re-install.. making sure your registry is clear of junk keys and traces.. not to mention all of the accompanying files..and in some case the installers need to be cleaned out..program folders and so on. Just a safer cleaner method and you usually get a good fresh installation with all new files..no problems.. then you can usually update your settings by importing, or redoing them..depends..

And if you have an older version of a software, and you want to update to the newest version; then you just uninstall and then reinstall. But is it possible to just only reinstall...? (Not deleteing the old version first, but just immediately install the new version) I already know that for Java it's possible, but what for other software; is it that for each software it's different...?

ill just answer your question regarding comodo, whichever way you choose to install it, it will always ask you to uninstall the older version or the currently installed comodo in your system.

But if you want you can also use the update feature of the software that way it is safer.

I assume that if there isn't an update feature, then the only way to update is uninstall and reinstall...

And what about the first question...?

You just answered your first question ... :dance2:

For a specific software program update, I go to the company's website and see what they say you should do for updating their program. Sometimes a company will warn you not to uninstall their program so that the update will keep your existing settings during the (update) install. If the company doesn't say, I will uninstall the older version and then install the newer version.

My experience has been that only one program update left two entries in my Add/Remove Programs. It was an HP update for a program that was preloaded on my HP PC that I never really used anyway.

It's possible. The new version will just uninstall the old one.

Note: It's wise to backup configurations every update.

It's on a case to case basis. I leave every possible scenario to your imagination.

If anyone pulls that stunt, they better prepare for a lawsuit against them.

• Administrator

Well if it's COMODO. It can install when the older one installed. But the new version will overwrite every config etc. It depends on other softwares. In some you may have to backup the config as Biz mentioned and then uninstall it to install the new version.

It's not possible that one software bein deleted by another. Unless the software who deletes is a dangerous system cleaner like. Chances are of malware doin so.

No, Comodo does not overwrite settings when you update. When I was running Vista, I had a lot of programs — cough cough, Adobe Master Collection CS4, cough, cough ;) ;) — that I didn't allow to call home. Every update of Comodo preserved all of my settings. Yes, it's definitely wise to export your settings before updating any program.

There was a bug with Comodo that deleted settings, but Comodo suspended updates until they fixed the problem. I never update Comodo right away because they always seem to put out two or three updates in rapid succession while they fix their bugs.

• Administrator

It recently happened to me. Comodo deletin my settings. Note: It did so when I downloaded the installer separately. And installed to over the previous one. There was no problems felt when I did a upgrade directly from Comodo.

• Administrator

Yea I know that. That was the version I did a upgrade and I didn't download the installer. The problem was when I downloaded the installer previous version of what link you gave me.

Congrats for the 500. :thumbsup:

I always download the CIS installer ^_^

with that you mean download and uninstall existing (then install the new one) or download and overwrite existing?

@nivrid05:

Download > Export Configuration > Uninstall > Reboot > Install > Reboot > Import Configuration

A lot of work, but that's the way I do things ^_^

@nivrid05:

Download > Export Configuration > Uninstall > Reboot > Install > Reboot > Import Configuration

A lot of work, but that's the way I do things ^_^

This is exactly the safest and right way of doing it. ;)

• Administrator

If you do a upgrade by directly inside Comodo. Update > sized very less than the installer > installs auto > reboot and you are done. ;) . But both ways do have it's good and bads.

BTW I have a problem here. From the time I started usin Comodo, even without changing any settings. Comodo doesn't log my HIPS or Firewall events. Even when I made the settings to do so. :think:

@DKT27:

There's a reason why I do it the hard way.

COMODO Internet Security folder

300y5oz.jpg

COMODO Internet Security\repair folder

2zf1qnk.jpg

Now what's the difference?

-----

If you're having problems with logging, try deleting cfplogdb.sdb

It can be found at Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Comodo\Firewall Pro

• Administrator

I really didn't understand the pic thingy. :mellow:

Thanx for the info. I'll try. But I'll have to go into safe mode and try it. :(

I don't really understand the pictures either. My "COMODO Internet Security" folder is from a fresh install on Windows 7 64-bit and it also has a "scanners" folder that I don't see in the first picture. My "repair" subfolder has 35 items, whereas the main folder only has 26 items (not counting the subfolders, registration.txt, and all the *.cfg files).

That's the point; some files and folders were removed.

CIS has a bad habit of including AV files even if the user does not want it included.

Normally, you can't do it without going to safe mode.

Even if you only want to install the Firewall, CIS will still include the AV files.

That's why I choose to install updates manually, so I can remove unnecessary files before reboot.

Archived