'Biggest funnel web we've ever seen' handed in to Australian Reptile Park

dufus

Funnel web spider

PHOTO: "The Rock", on the right, towers over a more normal sized funnel web spider. (Supplied: Australian Reptile Park )

An "unusually large" funnel web spider has been handed into the Australian Reptile Park near Sydney and dubbed Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson by keepers.

Recent wet and humid conditions have created an ideal environment for the deadly arachnids.

The spider was found in Newcastle and handed to the park, which last month called for people to catch funnel webs and donate them so they could be "milked" for their venom.

That will be used to create life-saving anti-venom.

"Having Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson as part of the venom program is so amazing because he will save a lot of lives with the venom he will produce," Liz Gabriel, the Director of the Australian Reptile Park, said.

"He is unusually large and more spiders like him will only result in more lives being saved due to the huge amount of venom they can produce."

Funnel web spider

PHOTO: The Australian Reptile Park relies on the public to donate spiders for its program. (Supplied: Australian Reptile Park )

Australian Reptile Park keeper Jake Meney said adults could place a cotton bud dipped in water or a small amount of moist soil in a jar before ushering the spider inside.

"This is certainly the biggest male funnel web I've ever seen donated to the park," he said.

Adults are advised to keep their hands 20 centimetres from the spider and secure a lid on the jar promptly before dropping it off at the park to be "milked".

The venom ultimately saves up to 300 lives per year, according to the Reptile Park.

Their crucial anti-venom program has prevented any funnel web spider deaths since its creation in the early 1980s.

sauce

• Replies 1
  • Views 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaaaaiiiiiieeeeee!!!!! My phobia. I like lizards and snakes and rodents...but I just can't stand these things. 

But at least it's good news about their use for creating more anti-venom and thus saving lives.🕷️🕷️🕷️

Archived