Here's what will happen to your Windows 7 PC on January 15, 2020

steven36

By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft

132587688_157866536220798970.jpg

Microsoft is ready to push a full-screen warning to Windows 7 users who are still running the OS after January 14. The nag-screen payload is part of the December 10 Patch Tuesday monthly rollup.

Microsoft has been warning Windows 7 users for the past year-plus that after January 14, 2020, they'll get no more security updates to the operating system for free. Even though users will be able to continue to run Windows 7 after that date, they'll be more susceptible to potential security problems. To hammer that point home, Microsoft is planning to deliver a new pop-up notification to Windows 7 users on January 15, 2020.

Microsoft already has been delivering warning notifications periodically to Windows 7 Home and many Pro users about the impending January 14 end-of-support date. But on January 15, the company will push a full-screen notification to those still running the OS to make it clear that "Your Windows 7 PC is out of support." Note: "The notification will not appear on domain-joined machines or machines in kiosk mode," the KB article says.

Like it has been doing since last year, Microsoft is delivering this new nag notification to Windows 7 users by making it part of a patch rollup. The coming notification is embedded in monthly rollup KB4530734, which Microsoft made available to Windows 7 SP1 users on December 10 as part of its Patch Tuesday set of updates. This patch is designed to configure Windows 7 PCs that receive it so they will display the January 15 notification starting on that date.

The January 15 full-screen warning will tell users that their PCs are more vulnerable to viruses and malware due to no security updates, no software updates and no tech support. It will say that "Microsoft strongly recommends using Windows 10 on a new PC for the latest security features and protection against malicious software."

Those who see the full-screen warning will have three options: Remind me later; Learn more; or Don't remind me again. If users don't click on the "Don't remind me again" button and just dismiss the screen, they will continue to get nag warnings.

In April 2019, Microsoft began proactively notifying Windows 7 Home users about the approaching end of support deadline for Windows 7 via a pop-up. Starting in October, Microsoft also began delivering pop-ups about the end of support to Windows 7 Pro devices that were not domain-joined.

Microsoft will continue to provide security updates for Windows 7 for up to three years to business users who purchase Extended Security Updates for each of their PCs running the OS. It also will provide Windows 7 security updates for no additional charge for three years to users who purchase Windows Virtual Desktop. Office 365 ProPlus will continue to work on devices with Windows 7 Extended Security Updates through January 2023, Microsoft officials have said.

Google has announced it will continue to support its Chrome browser on Windows 7 until at least July 2021. Microsoft officials have yet to say how long they will continue to support the new Chromium-based Edge browser on Windows 7.

Source

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of all the hysteria as we approached the year 2000....aeroplanes falling from the sky, automatic doors not opening, bank ATM's not working etc etc.

There was a "fix" on a site whereby you could enable your Win 7 to still get the security updates until Jan 2023......free.

I wonder if I installed that fix??:w00t::w00t::w00t:

1 hour ago, funkyy said:

This reminds me of all the hysteria as we approached the year 2000....aeroplanes falling from the sky, automatic doors not opening, bank ATM's not working etc etc.

There was a "fix" on a site whereby you could enable your Win 7 to still get the security updates until Jan 2023......free.

I wonder if I installed that fix??:w00t::w00t::w00t:

It happening again  it called  Y2020 bug  it  from were they fixed Y2k bug easy as possible now  stuff is shutting down again , The reason nothing much happened in 2000  was they fixed most of it in 1999 but were they didnt fix it very good, some things made before 2000 stop working Jan1 2020.;)   , As  far as the fix even if Microsoft dont patch against the ESU exploit in a Windows 7 ESU  update but they most likely will and it most likely will  be a  game of cat and mouse like using Windows Media  Center  was  on Windows 10  was . Still most Windows 7 users will  never hear of the Bypass  or even hear of the  forums it's on. :tooth:

I don't think it  matters as much as Y2K did  i collected  food and stuff just in case  something happen but were  they fixed  it  things never panned  out . Because like we had people fixing Y2k in 1999  in 2020 we have Linux  , Mac OS  , Windows 8.1  and Windows 10 gets that get updates  without ESU.  In 2020 the Android cracking forums  are  more popular  than the Windows  ones are  . Many  of Windows ones are old i knew about for ages  , many closed down , even blogs that post Tech news is shutting down because they no money in it.  :hehe:

1 hour ago, funkyy said:

You're right, but only about the excessive exaggeration from many news sources.

As steven36 mentions above, the Y2K problem was very real. I was one of several devs who worked on our company's systems to (1) convert 2-digit years to 4-digit years in our databases and (2) modify software to be able to correctly handle that change.

Y2K gets ridiculed simply because nothing bad happened on 1/1/2000. The real reason nothing bad happened was the preventative efforts of a gazillion devs around the world, not because it was a non-problem.

I still remember it well... :)

The Y2K problem was quite recently  replicated on Garmin GPS devices which had a coding issue with the way satellites transmit the year .Instead of indicating 2020 on the change of year they displayed the year 2000 and so an update had to be written and published to overcome the problem many users found they had.

Just because you are not affected by an issue does not mean it didn't happen

1 hour ago, Arachnoid said:

The Y2K problem was quite recently  replicated on Garmin GPS devices which had a coding issue with the way satellites transmit the year .Instead of indicating 2020 on the change of year they displayed the year 2000 and so an update had to be written and published to overcome the problem many users found they had.

Just because you are not affected by an issue does not mean it didn't happen

You are correct of course...but my point was that there was an excessive amount of doomsday prophecies in the press, television etc. Obviously behind the scenes many clever guys were working hard to avert the predicted Y2K event, and I'm sure that with that experience under their belt they'll be able to handle the next doomsday event scenario.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Spoiler

20 hours ago, funkyy said:

You are so right!  BTW, you didn't minimize Y2K or say it was not real. Oftentimes, people read what is not said and start reacting.

15 hours ago, funkyy said:

...but my point was that there was an excessive amount of doomsday prophecies in the press, television etc.

Alas, in much noise a simple point got lost.  Again, points get lost oftentimes.  And press and television are where we get our news.  And these ponder to people by providing them what-they-like -- "exciting" news -- and make everything appear as "the sky is falling".  Well given our 30-second attention span and twitter-size thinking that's not surprising. Is it?

image.gif.7c8e172e7bf0f8c9c0ac74d85c31a48b.gifimage.gif.9944cfbed149eebd452b79e56894978b.gif image.gif.46d675c1a048ac5395de01cf579e2fb6.gif

1 hour ago, mkc21 said:

oh come on, it doesn't support a lot of features. Time to move on

Neither does my wife, but I'm quite accustomed to having her around!!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

12 hours ago, funkyy said:

Neither does my wife, but I'm quite accustomed to having her around!!:w00t::w00t::w00t:

How about your own body?

:w00t::w00t: :w00t:

2 hours ago, aum said:

How about your own body?

:w00t::w00t: :w00t:

The most important parts still work !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

On 1/10/2020 at 9:15 PM, mkc21 said:

oh come on, it doesn't support a lot of features. Time to move on

The features  in Windows 7 is the only reason people use Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 mostly just has to  do with Win 32  software being able to run on modern hardware . If you're unable to get people too adopt your  API changes within 5 years, you should stop developing the API  altogether  . So it's time for Microsoft to move on from UWP  and the  Windows store. :tooth:

Them not dropping it for consumers just more proof  that they don't matter anymore , They want be able to sell Windows 10 to consumers with or without Windows store  . You can have walled gardens and things but if developers don't want to port there apps to it like they do for Google  and Apple  it's just a big loss  like Windows  phone was .  Most people use PCs for tools  and use smartphones for  most online stuff anymore  . A old PC work just as good ,  many things i do on PC i dont even need internet access but since i'm not a smartphone user like the masses i use Linux to do online stuff. I have Windows around if i need it for something but i rarely do as a home user.

Microsoft  is slower to phase out things  than others  but if it not profitable and cost more to maintain than they make on it they phase  it out .

Features and functionality removed in Windows 10

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-removed-features

Others  had the same idea  as Microsoft like Ubuntu did with making  desktops that work for smartphones .

Ubuntu 18.04: Unity is gone, GNOME is back—and Ubuntu has never been better

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/ubuntu-18-04-the-return-of-a-familiar-interface-marks-the-best-ubuntu-in-years/

They seen they would never be able to compete with Google or Apple so they got rid of it and put there resources into IOT  that is profitable.

Windows phone caused Microsoft to lose billions of dollars and Windows 10  has features left over from Windows phone that never will  make them any money  so there beginning to phase it out like others did years ago.

Windows store  and things are ideas left  over from Windows 8  those ideas never sold good  to business or consumers. Windows 10 never sold good to   consumers most home users got it for free to get people off Windows 7  . Only Windows  10 sold good to business only because they must buy  it or ESU to stay complaint  and they dont want all that garbage that come in the home version  . That never what users wanted  it what Microsoft wanted you to have and in order to sell it  ever it going to have to go.     ;)

Archived