[Suggestions] USB 3.0/3.1 Flashdrive

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hello,

I'm in search for a new flashdrive as my current one, This One, is starting to crap out on me, doesn't have a stable connection anymore, so it disconnects periodically.

This has lasted me for quite a long time, but I guess it's time to retire it.

Budget easily would be under $20, and I'm quite open to any brand/style; I do have a preference for one's similar to this or is retractable, but I don't want any that are micro-sized like a little nub that sticks out/ easy to lose.

Any suggestions/links would be most appreciative. Best bang for buck I suppose, as I know lots are good but have slow speeds, and honestly I do have the  patience so speed isnt' everything that's for sure.

Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, SacredCultivator said:

starting to crap out on me, doesn't have a stable connection anymore, so it disconnects periodically.
Thanks.

Are you sure it breaks or as You said "doesn't have a stable connection anymore, so it disconnects periodically"?
Maybe it just disconnects or goes into sleep mode?
At the moment I do not remember exactly, but this time is quite short when it goes to sleep when not actively used. Me remembers something about 5 or 10 minutes when not actively used, it turns off. It should be somewhere in power option settings for USB.
I recommend investigating.

SacredCultivator

I've checked for the "Sleep" option and had already had the option for USB Sleep set to Disabled. Also unchecked the option in Power Management (via Device Manager) that allows the PC to turn off the device to save power.

Oh and just to confirm; with USB 2.0 drives, there's no issues. And then when I tried sister's USB 3.0 one, it works fine as well. So quite sure it's just my flashdrive itself that's acting up. AKA my PC's front panel is sensitive provided that my flashdrive doesn't suffer this issue on my other PC / work Laptop. Only on my new PC.

SacredCultivator

I guess I can try that tomorrow and see if it does anything. BUt find it weird that it's just my primary Flash Drive that seems to have an issue with this PC, when I've tried sister's 3.0 drive as well in same port without issues.

Israeli_Eagle
13 hours ago, SacredCultivator said:

I guess I can try that tomorrow and see if it does anything. BUt find it weird that it's just my primary Flash Drive that seems to have an issue with this PC, when I've tried sister's 3.0 drive as well in same port without issues.

Flash (aka Dead-Slow) drives are more like the weather... ;)

I had 1 client that threw away 2 different brands of USBs 2 and 3.x due to the same issue.... I retrieved and test on mine and found them touchy to fault, often i had to insert more than  2 times, so (i like to play with items) so i took emery cloth and with a plastic probe inserted into and attempted to clean contacts,  it was better so then sprayed contact cleaner and used same emery cloth & plastic probe to clean contacts, so far both USBs are working, this has been over 7 months now @ 100% (my fix) says that mostly the USB contacts get dirty not the Machine USB ports.

PS: my preference for USBs are Sandisk and Samsung. but i do still have some usb 1.0 Ativa 4gb and 1gb working.

SacredCultivator

Oh, many thanks for that tip and sharing that story as well. Though not having known what emery cloth was and looking it up, I was thinking that by using it, you'd actually be damaging the contact since it's similar to sandpaper.

I have yet to just try using my air compressor to see if that does anything, since that's what I use to clean out the PC of dust from time to time.
Would simply using any cloth/Q-Tip to clean it out possibly work as well? (I guess I'm mainly concerned of further damaging it.)

But wow.. USB 1.0... Jeez. And I've never tested Sandisk/Samsung, but do hear a lot more about Sandisk over Samsung for sure.

Archived