Microsoft will be pushing out the new Edge via Windows Update to the majority of Windows 10 users

Karlston

Microsoft will be pushing out the new Edge via Windows Update to the majority of Windows 10 users

In an article on how to stop it, Microsoft has revealed that they will be pushing out the Chromium-based Edge browser to the majority of Windows 10 users.

Microsoft will be pushing out the update, replacing the old Edge, to all Windows 10 users on Windows 10 RS4 (April 2018 Update) and newer.

This may of course cause compatability issues, and Microsoft is releasing a Blocker Toolkit for enterprise users to control the rollout.

Microsoft writes:

To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft will distribute Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) through Automatic Updates for Windows 10 RS4 and newer. The Blocker Toolkit is intended for organizations that would like to block automatic delivery of Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) to machines in environments where Automatic Updates is enabled. The Blocker Toolkit will not expire.

• For computers running Windows 10 RS4 and newer, the Blocker Toolkit prevents the machine from receiving Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) via Automatic Updates.

• The Blocker Toolkit will not prevent users from manually installing Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) from internet download, or from external media.

• Organizations do not need to deploy the Blocker Toolkit in environments managed with an update management solution such as Windows Server Update Services or System Center Configuration Manager. Organizations can use those products to fully manage deployment of updates released through Windows Update and Microsoft Update, including Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based), within their environment.

The toolkit and more information can be found at Microsoft here.

Source: Microsoft will be pushing out the new Edge via Windows Update to the majority of Windows 10 users  (MSPoweruser)

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, orbystorm said:

Personally I know  the new edge works heaps better and faster than old edge.

and even better than Chrome.

Edge insider tracking prevention + ublock origin + ublock extra = the best browsing experience with fastest speed, at least for me :)

It's very interesting how do you know all this and how do you measure the speed. So far no working versions have been released, but everybody already knows it is fastest and the best.

34 minutes ago, Kalju said:

how do you measure the speed

What would be the best way to measure the speed and compare browsers?

A script launching plenty of different local web pages? To be used on a same machine with the browsers to be tested.

16 hours ago, Kalju said:

It's very interesting how do you know all this and how do you measure the speed. So far no working versions have been released, but everybody already knows it is fastest and the best.

You can just tell sometimes. It's basically Chrome but with improvements from original Edge thrown in and a bunch of Google services removed + ad blocking.. 

It's basically the new go to browser..  How times have changed.. Smart move on Microsoft's part and something Mozilla could've/should've done but instead will now just fade into obscurity.

2 hours ago, Ryrynz said:

You can just tell sometimes. It's basically Chrome but with improvements from original Edge thrown in and a bunch of Google services removed + ad blocking.. 

It's basically the new go to browser..  How times have changed.. Smart move on Microsoft's part and something Mozilla could've/should've done but instead will now just fade into obscurity.

Here you are almost 100% wrong, but be that as it may. Live in your light-blue dreams, but don't spread on emotion based false information.Live with your knowledge that it is something new if it is offer satisfaction for you. Have You at all saw it? Didn't You really havent saw, that it based on nonstable Chromium and there as been added about 100MB Microsoft useless junk. Mostly nothing works, now has been even bookmarks sync turned off, because even this doesn't work, more exactly - have never worked.
Now they trying to make new Edge, ie add all old Edge features again to this new. During the eight or nine years, when they tried to get to work this old, it didn't happened. Now has gone already half year and still nothing works in this new.
It is about 1/3 large, than chrome or chromium, takes huge more ressources and still not work.
Merry Christmas and good New Year!

PS! Sorry, I forgot to say that a few hours ago this year's last dev build 80.0.361.5 was released.
At least they said that there would be no newer ones on this year.

@Kalju

we are 100% wrong and you are 100% right?

Actually I've been using the new Microsoft Edge since launch, I have compared it to Google chrome and it's been performing better. in HTML5 and CSS3 tests they are the same but because of the built in tracking prevention and the fact that it is not incorporating Google data mining stuff, it's a better option.

Microsoft didn't add any junk, they just de-junked it.

mostly nothing works? you mean mostly everything works and few others don't work.

yes it's true the sync for favorites is having problem but that is all normal. they have done so much in so little time. you can't compare a browser like chrome that had so many years to get to the point where it is now, with Microsoft Edge that has only been around for few months, yet they are outperforming chrome.

Edge features that don't exist in chrome:

PDF inking - tracking prevention - Share button - having access to tabs and address bar in full screen mode (requires this flag to enable: #edge-enable-shy-ui) - better PWA management - Collections - hugely better reading view mode (immersive reader) - grammar tools (using flag to enable: #edge-reading-view-grammar-tools) - etc

I can explain all of them in depth if you want.

also in the yesterday's canary update, in the new tab page, you get greetings based on your time and also temperature (celsius/fahrenheit) according to your location and the unit is determined based on your regional preference.

Finally! Can't wait to get it rolled into the system as default, removing the old edge once and for all. It's already so much better and is my go to browser after firefox now when i want to use some chrome specific tasks on it. Really loves the Edge chrome and using it since it's inception as well. 

If Chrome extension manifest V3 is implemented I will definitely move away from Chrome. I've already started transitioning to to FF  just in case. The new Edge? I'll wait and see.

Archived