Computer (desktop) woes

AndromedaAnima

AndromedaAnima

I'm hoping the wonderful people here can help me with my problem so please bare with me.

I have a desktop that doesn't seem to work correctly. This all started off when I left my desktop unattended for a few hours and the next thing you know my screen turns purple. Ever since then, I've had problems. Every time I start-up my computer, my desktop will shut itself off (by itself) first before turning itself on and it usually displays one of these two annoying occurances with my desktop:

1. The LCD does not receive any signal from the desktop and my fan makes a loud irritating noise.

2. The LCD receives a signal except that when it does receive a signal, my desktop always stalls on the Acer splash screen and the fan seems to make a loud irritating sound. If I try to press any key on my keyboard on the Acer splash screen, it seems to make a soft beep (assuming my HD is connected).

I've tried several things such as:

1. Swapping graphic cards wasn't the problem.

2. Swapping RAM didn't wasn't the problem either.

3. I've tried using another HD, but that wasn't my problem either.

4. I took out the CMOS battery and put it back in, but that didn't solve my problem either.

5. Disconnected all bootable devices from my computer. At least start-up was able to get past the Acer splash screen and recognizs that there is nothing bootable.

I can't access BIOS nor can I boot anything from a bootable device (like an USB).

Any idea on what the problem could be? If it comes to my last resort, is it worth taking my computer to a repair service or buying a cheap computer as I usually do (since I only use my computer for watching video, programming, very low-end games, etc.)?

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndromedaAnima

Have you tried changing monitors?

I've just tried and it does not make a difference. Tried multiple times starting the computer and it still has the two annoying problems that I posted above.

Yeah I am not an expert.. but I would check to see if everything is hooked up the way it should be.. and getting power.. lie opening the box and booting up.. see if the drive is spinning up and see whats going on with the fan, and which one..

Some will shut down once a certain temp is reached.. so if the fan has gone out in the PSU..( I think it trips something in the PSU- Power Supply Unit ) it could be causing the system to disallow itself from starting.. You should definitely look and see if you have a reset switch.. pull the power cable.. switch the switch over and then back.. replug in the power cable.. and try a boot. if so..

Since you say it occurred whilst you were not using the computer I guess we can rule out any software problems(something that's usually the first thing I think about).

There's no error code displayed, right?

I'd say it's either your PSU or your MoBo, but just to be sure I'd unplug every cable and plug it back in again(plug one out, plug it in again, plug the next out, plug it in again, and so on).

I can't access BIOS nor can I boot anything from a bootable device (like an USB).

Are you saying you can't enter BIOS?

Like shought's guess, it might be a problem on your MOBO.

just to be sure I'd unplug every cable and plug it back in again(plug one out, plug it in again, plug the next out, plug it in again, and so on).

He did that already.

just to be sure I'd unplug every cable and plug it back in again(plug one out, plug it in again, plug the next out, plug it in again, and so on).

He did that already.

He did?

4. I took out the CMOS battery and put it back in, but that didn't solve my problem either.

5. Disconnected all bootable devices from my computer. At least start-up was able to get past the Acer splash screen and recognizs that there is nothing bootable.

Does this ring a bell?

• Administrator

Sure there is only one short beep when you start it?

Most of them don't beep.. unless its really old.. or something is wrong.. if you can't boot fro USB.. have you tried a boot CD of any kind.. if I am right and the thing is really old it will not have to ability to boot from USB Device or DVD unless you have upgraded some way.. in fact the old one my parents have would not boot from DVD until I installed Vista.. and I have never to this day ever seen it boot from USB. even with it enabled in the BIOS.. ( and I have flashed the BIOS twice upgrading it from the original manufacturer.. ( using a Floppy )..

EDIT: The only time it beeped is when I had not put in the RAM all the way ( wasn't clicked and locked in all the way ).. or it was missing RAM I have seen that before.. and I would check and make sure you have the HD plugged into the right connection.. ( there is usually a slave and master )

Does this ring a bell?

This doesn't cover unplugging all cables and plugging them back in again... ;)

• Administrator

For me CD/DVD drive has always been the culprit.

AndromedaAnima

I've tried unplugging and replugging every thing back in, but it didn't help. I tried switching the keyboard and mouse, but those didn't work either. Tried switching CD/DVD drive, but it was of no use either. It does seem that if my computer is on, the hard drive is spinning and CD/DVD drive works as intended. I'm starting to think that maybe it has something to do with my motherboard. This does somewhat resemble the behavior of my last desktop computer I had, but I couldn't figure out the problem to it either.

There's only a soft beep if I press a key on my keyboard assuming my monitor receives an output and is stuck on the Acer splash screen.

• Administrator

Beep on keyboard? Does it beep when you press the power button?

Somehow I feel that there is a problem in BIOS or MOBO of-course. Did you ever tried flash your BIOS? What happens when you press power button after you remove then RAM? Do you hear any beeps?

AndromedaAnima

There are no beeps when I turn on my computer. If I remove my RAM and turn my computer on, it makes that usual beeping sound telling me no RAM is installed. I've looked at guides to try and flash my BIOS, but none of them seem like a viable method to flashing the BIOS which is why I tried to make my USB bootable which did not work. Unless you can point me to a guide where I might be able to flash my BIOS, then that would be great. As of right now, after turning my desktop on and off many times, it's beginning to show no output towards the monitor.

• Administrator

You mean your PC speaker is there and workin but doesn't beep at startup? Odd.

I'm not an expert in flashin BIOS. But what mobo and model no. did you say?

If you have an option to do the floppy.. it was always easy.. go to the main site for the computer.. and look for the most up to date recommended version for it.. format as per instructed slap in the floppy and boot.. Thing is that the BIOS may need to be configured to do so.. if you can't.. unplug the HD and Disk Drives if you can.. and then boot and it should force boot from the only thing that is left..

• Administrator

I read somewhere, it was posted by Tonyblair, on Jose's thread, you need to press any button while floppy bein inserted and it will do it's job by flashin the BIOS.

@shought:

Try doing #5, and don't disconnect any cables :rolleyes:

Besides...

I've tried unplugging and replugging every thing back in, but it didn't help.

I suggest using the peripheral components on another PC.

Archived