Internet-addicted youth engage in other forms of self-injury

nsane.forums

south_park_gaming_addiction_ars-thumb-230x130-10296-f.jpg

The potential for some users to go overboard when it comes to being online has been obvious since the days when being online meant dialing in to a BBS. In more recent years, however, widespread 'Net access has allowed psychologists to document this obsession on a population level and begin to characterize Internet addiction as a distinct set of behaviors, and relate them to other forms of addiction. A recently published survey of Chinese adolescents from Guangzhou has found that signs of Internet addiction strongly correlate with various forms of self-injury, a finding that may place the addiction squarely within the spectrum of impulse control disorders.

The survey involved over 1,600 high school students, aged 13-18 years; the questions covered demographic information, additional influences on mental health, and two sets of queries on Internet addiction and self-injurious behavior. The Internet addiction series came from a formal Internet Addiction Test that has been validated in the literature. Questions on self-harm covered various forms of self-inflicted injury, from pulling hair to hitting or burning. The survey achieved a staggering 99 percent response rate.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 6
  • Views 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, me included... since I was introduced the internet, I went mental and coo-coo and have never looked back :afro: :bong: :fist:

• Administrator

My advice. Then keep the bullets in your hands or pocket.:hehe:

With some people it doesn't matter what it is.. but then you have to turn back and look at behavioral or personality flaws.. character flaws... which can stem from other things.. like for instance lack of experience in life dealing with things... and actually forming a personal identity .. knowing yourself first. I dunno I think there is more to it than that.. ( LOL ..maybe they are all pushing for better Internet service and free computers.. )

Archived