What's the best solution to block WU on Pro?

Kaby

What's the best solution to block WU on Pro?
I always used O&O ShutUp10 but it sometimes it just doesn't work. For example after installing new release of Office 2019 Windows Update "turned" itself on.

• Replies 4
  • Views 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jogs

• Kaby

• Bl4ckCyb3rEnigm4

• xxvv

• 1 year later...
Bl4ckCyb3rEnigm4

@Kaby

Thread moved from Member's Corner to Software Chat

Member's Corner should be used to post updates related to new versions of software applications for non-mobile platforms that can't be posted on Software Update forum.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Local Group Policy Editor or in short known as (gpedit.msc). As you are using windows pro edition, you can basically use "gpedit.msc" to ensure windows does NOT update without your permission.

I have used it for as long as I have remembered since upgrade to win10. Only if there is a major release of windows, I will download it directly and upgrade my computer offline use the image that I have download, thus far I have never worried about windows changing back my customized setting of windows. If you wanna know more about what will happened next, click on spoiler below.

Spoiler

Open command prompt or Windows(key)+R. As The Run box open or in Command prompt, enter the following syntax without quote.

"gpedit.msc"

"Local Group Policy Editor" window opened.

You see two main categories, one is "Computer Configuration" and an other one is "User Configuration".

Base on the two option select on "Computer Configuration", you should see three difference sub-categories.

Select on "Administrative Template", you will now have many more sub-tree-menus.

Select on "Windows Components", more setting appeared, don't panic yet as the magic is about to show.

Scroll down until you see "Windows Update" component, in there you see plenty of magic portion.

Now the magic about windows update is ready to show up,

Browse to "Configure Automatic Updates", double clicks on it. The magic ingredients finally show up. What to do?

In the upper left corner you see 3 different roads "Not Configured, Enabled, Disabled", our main goal is to stop the dark force from within "Windows Update".

Now the Excalibur of light is in your hand, press the "Enabled" button. Yet it is not finished, there are more clone "option" to finish. Finish'em all, and you are our savior.

In lower left part, you see more of troopers to finish. The option in our hand, so we have finish them and one for all.

Now change "Configure automatic updating" to level "2 - Notify for download and auto install",

We are going deeper now as we go to low level zone. Un-tick all the boxes if you seen any of it gotten ticked.

The End yet not Finished, click on Apply then Okay/Close this chapter.

An other story is opened up, if you don't want someone/you to click on "Download" in "Setting->Windows Update" as the Dark force will resume during that time(Only one though).  Windows will launch the update, once you have clicked on "Download". Every times you want to receive new update, you have to go to "Setting->Windows Update" and click on "Download". But, we can disable that button. So, neither you nor anyone else could send the message to the dark force.

In "Windows Update" component of "gpedit.msc", you see the supreme Excalibur of light "Remove access to use all Windows Update features", double click on it as usual.

If point your Excalibur at "Enabled" in the upper left corner and select on it, Don't forget to apply and close it. When you go to "Setting->Windows Update", you finally end the oppression from the dark force as you could no long do anything else in there.

An other chapter awaiting. See you later, best regards.

Edited by Blazelanze
Well some grammar error.