Microsoft is killing off its Cortana mobile apps everywhere except the U.S. next year

Karlston

Microsoft is killing off its Cortana mobile apps everywhere except the U.S. next year

1516467484_cortanaai5_story.jpg

If you're a fan of Microsoft's Cortana virtual assistant and you live outside of the U.S., you're in for some bad news, although that should frankly be no surprise. The company is ending support for the Cortana mobile app on iOS and Android as of January 31, as noted in a support document published this week.

The support document is from the UK, as Microsoft isn't killing the app if you're in the United States. Indeed, the page also notes that Cortana is being removed from Microsoft Launcher on Android, something that was previously reported earlier this month, and that news is also exclusive to those outside of the U.S.

Instead, Microsoft's strategy is to integrate its digital assistant into its various Microsoft 365 apps, such as Office, To Do, and so on. The Redmond firm was clear that it's not actually killing off Cortana, but only the mobile apps and the integration with Microsoft Launcher.

It's unclear why the apps will continue to be supported in the U.S., so it's entirely possible that those will be removed at a later date as well.

Source: Microsoft is killing off its Cortana mobile apps everywhere except the U.S. next year (Neowin)

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like they trouble in Microsoft Mobile App land again and this time cross OS ?

18 hours ago, Karlston said:

The Redmond firm was clear that it's not actually killing off Cortana, but only the mobile apps and the integration with Microsoft Launcher.

You cant take nothing they say for granted  every new  version of Windows 10 has a list of stuff they removed  from Windows  all together . Microsoft giveth  and Microsoft taketh away  . They not quite bad as google yet about this but give them time . :hehe:

LisaPeters99

Cortana comes on when I say Hey Cortana but then can’t hear what I ask.

Yesterday for first time I tried saying “Hey Cortana” on my new computer she opened up and I said “Can you hear me?” and Cortana said “Loud and clear”.

Then I asked what the weather would be tomorrow and she answered me.

I thought that was so cool and when my husband came home I wanted to show him. I said “Hey Cortana” and she opened up and appeared to be listening. But she couldnt hear what I asked.

She continues to open up when I say “Hey Cortana” but then can’t hear what I ask her after that. What happened?

Long story short  Microsoft has 0 support for there products   so she had to call Dell  and they fixed  it by remote .

This is me  No, Cortana. I don’t want to talk to you. Or any of your relatives, either. Voice interfaces long ago lost their luster in my eyes. You’re a nuisance. An irritation. An unwelcome intrusion. All of you.

:rofl:

Cortana’s footprint is shrinking

I think there may be two people reading this who will actually care, but Microsoft is pulling Cortana from Android and iOS, as Lawrence Abrams describes on Bleepingcomputer.

I think MS hasn’t gone far enough. Mehedi Hassan, over at Thurrot.com, got it right:

UPDATE: Günter Born has the original article. Not clear if the US will be among the countries that lose Cortana on iOS and Android.

Source: Cortana’s footprint is shrinking (AskWoody - Woody Leonhard)

Archived