Firewall Problem

I Am Negan

On 11/3/2019 at 8:03 PM, brain_death said:

If you run solely on SSDs, you have no need to degragment.

Doesn't O&O use TRIM on SSD's when using default auto settings? I don't know for sure though, 'cuz I don't mess at all with the SSD in O&O because Windows automatically takes care of trim optimization on a weekly basis.

• Replies 30
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, spudboy said:

Doesn't O&O use TRIM on SSD's when using default auto settings? I don't know for sure though, 'cuz I don't mess at all with the SSD in O&O because Windows automatically takes care of trim optimization on a weekly basis.

O&O does use TRIM for SSDs, but I only run it manually. I keep all the automatic options switched off and just defrag when necessary: as part of regular (monthly plus) maintenance and after big installs or deletions in the case of HDDs, leaving about once a week for TRIM. O&O Defrag does have an option to disable automatic updates, but still checks for them regardless, hence the pop up. I have a similar setup to @spudboy and the OP, only I use the firewall rules that block both outbound and inbound traffic. Nevertheless, I still see the pop-up notifications...

Solutions include deleting (renaming) the updater or allowing it to call home, but only do this with the relevant host files entries in place beforehand, to ensure no connection is achieved. Since I only use O&O to defrag/TRIM manually once in while, I have this service disabled the the rest of the time and thus, no pop ups in between!

23 minutes ago, brain_death said:

O&O Defrag does have an option to disable automatic updates, but still checks for them regardless, hence the pop up. I have a similar setup to @spudboy and the OP, only I use the firewall rules that block both outbound and inbound traffic. Nevertheless, I still see the pop-up notifications...

Hmmmm. Where is this option located? Also, I wonder why I don't get any pop-ups from WFC whatsoever regarding O&O updates after the initial rule was created. Are you using the latest version of WFC, or an older release like the OP? I believe you, I just don't know why I don't get them at all.

I'm using WFC 5.3.1, which I believe was the final version before the original developer handed the reins to someone else...

You're right about the updates though. There is an option to check but not to disable. Duh!

PS: I don't get this pop up on Windows 7, or *I think* Windows 8.1. Are you using Windows 10 and what version of O&O Defrag? Can you run O&O Live Update by clicking directly on the exe?

No you are wrong @brain_death because it wasn't the latest. Now the website BiniSoft is offline but according to the changelog (still online today) WFC-v5.4.1.0 was the final !

Someone else ? For the record, MalwareBytes is the guilty one (and this information is really easy to find).

PS : I don't like at all WFC-v6.0.2.0 (the GUI is ugly, etc) and it doesn't sound good...

Abandon ? Probably because the it was published the 04 March 2019 and there is one sign of life (none update for almost a year).

3 hours ago, Ecarion said:

No you are wrong @brain_death

Actually, Malwarebytes announced the acquisition of Binisoft on May 24, 2018...

The last release of WFC before that date (according to the changelog) was 2018-04-24 and the next was not until August 2018.

So I'm sticking with this version for now, until it has no relevance to what the Windows Firewall itself, is doing anymore.

The Binisoft website is still there; don't be fooled by appearances...

The developer is bringing up a family, but is still active online. Maybe he will chime in - though contracts might forbid it!

Where is the OP, btw?

🙃

Archived