LCD Flickering at start-up

Sl@pSh0ck™

My laptop's screen would rapidly flicker on start up and after 5 minutes it would settle down but still would see a "dead pixel" at the bottom. Would this be an LCD problem or just a loose connection? Please advise. :please:

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My laptop's screen would rapidly flicker on start up and after 5 minutes it would settle down but still would see a "dead pixel" at the bottom. Would this be an LCD problem or just a loose connection? Please advise. :please:

How old is it? Probably the CCFL backlight is dying.

How old is it? Probably the CCFL backlight is dying.

It's only 8 months old, this happened before and I brought it to the service center and they replaced the lcd (took them 4 days), but now it's happening again. I called HP and they told me that it would take 3 - 4 weeks for them to fix this (WTF!) my laptop is still under warranty but 3-4 weeks come on give me a break HP! And the way the lcd is behaving I think this is not a problem with the lcd. Reading the HP forum, many of their customer with the same unit as I have are complaining of this very same problem :fist: HP!

Uhm.. I have seen this with HP laptop before.. I think it is faulty design which actually makes it happen.. It can also depend on the normal wear and tear you put on it.. Some of the earlier models seemed to be extremely sensitive to being jolted around, or vibration..poor quality really.. I seen one that looked as if it had a bad signal.. sometimes it would startup right and other times it would start up with weird lines and stuff across the screen. He had it replaced twice in a year and then the Hard Drive failed.. I would be looking to replace it as soon as you can find it feasible.. and do not buy another HP.. IMHO.. I think its a waste.. and HP seems to have the highest and earliest rate of failure on components allow.. not to mention that most of their hardware is in-expansible and for all yo fight to keep it alive .. yo only wind up with sulking last generation hardware..

@ Heath, I got 3 HP laptops here, and none of them are not working like it should be. They are working stable and reliable!

The only thing you could do is to bring it back to the service. If you mess with the insides of the laptop itself and they notice it, your laptop won't be repaired. They would say that you might have done something with it yourself and therefor blame you as the cause..

Yeah never touch anything until your definitely sure the warranty is up..

@Haantjuh - Well you must be lucky.. I can honestly say that all but one or two of the HP systems I have seen, ranging from desktops to laptops both have all meant an untimely demise.. Maybe it's fate or coincidence.. But I will never purchase nor own an HP system... ( to be honest I had rather build one on my own ).. Maybe its the parts supplier.. maybe its the manner in which they are assembled.. I dunno.. but all the way around HP always just puts me off.. as far a it being a choice that I would make. I think they need to do something to manage it ( 'quality control' )... I don't want a system that I use like a disposable razor..

I don't really have no choice but to bring this to HP's service center but I would do it early next year as I was already informed that it would take them 3-4 weeks just to replace the lcd even though they know that this will be the second time in less than a year that this laptop will be coming back to them. HP really puts me down not just with this laptop but with their costumer service as well. I would never buy HP ever again.

Here also had same problem with my HP..But I think mine is worse!!! :fist: My unit is almost most a year now, and it flickers all the time.and sometimes I can't even see the screen anymore..I'll never purchase any HP anymore!!!..

If I am right when you jiggle the screen on its hinges.. I bet it goes all stupid.. find that sweet spot and try not to move it.. until you can get it replaced or something.. ( you have to be steady and make sure its still not wiggling when you do. )

Archived