How to find the reason for Windows hanging issue?

Tickler

My laptop just hung without any error and I had to restart by long pressing the power button. There was no indication of what caused the issue. I was simply browsing in my firefox to purchase some steam games and suddenly mouse and keyboard all stopped. Is there a way to figure out the exact cause for Windows 10 hanging issue? Is there any log of error somewhere even though it didn't display any error, neither before nor after restart. My laptop is still in warranty period so if there is any hardware issue, I can get it fixed/replaced. Any Idea.. Thanks.

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was having the same issue with my laptop hang without any error and had to restart this could be a driver or hardware issue my problem was there was a Memory card slot in my laptop and it was damaged or was not working for some reason so  i had to disable that memory card slot and it is all fine now never hung now 

running Defrag is not necessary if using an SSD drive

OP did not say whether his laptop is using an HDD or an SSD

Look in your event log...

Start > Windows Administrative Tools > Event Viewer.

Let the log load and look for 'errors' or even 'critical events'.

You'll be surprised how many there are on a regular basis. It could be software or hardware related or just a glitch and nothing to worry about.

;)

18 hours ago, brain_death said:

You'll be surprised how many there are on a regular basis. It could be software or hardware related or just a glitch and nothing to worry about.

;)

Yes this would be good in finding out what happened, I have discovered an app called "Event Log Explorer".  The prog will open up all log files at once. I find it very useful, perhaps you will too. It is shareware and you can get a free home license.

the web page is here:

https://eventlogxp.com/

Apply for a free home license here:

https://eventlogxp.com/free-personal.php

Hi @Tickler

Is the laptop running the original Windows 10 provided by the Manufacturer or did Windows installed some new Updated Edition?

Because the machine is under warranty if the OS changed I would restore the Operating System to the factory default to check if the problem is gone if not then there is some hardware problem and you should rma the machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Very sorry for responding late. I had to leave city for a couple of weeks, didn't have the laptop.

I will try all the suggestions one by one and report here. Thanks. I think I should simply stop playing games on laptop because it heats up bad.

On 10/28/2019 at 2:52 AM, MrZeb said:

Hi @Tickler

Is the laptop running the original Windows 10 provided by the Manufacturer or did Windows installed some new Updated Edition?

Because the machine is under warranty if the OS changed I would restore the Operating System to the factory default to check if the problem is gone if not then there is some hardware problem and you should rma the machine.

Yes it originally came with Windows 10 Home edition, upgraded to Pro with help of @cosy .

@Tickler Hi, don't still try all the suggestions, some are not just very good.

First and foremost we should know what a computer is, when and how exactly this problem occurs. When did you first notice this problem and much more. It's very important to know, even this is important when and how You've cleaned junk, registry. What drivers You have installed or what there was already etc.
What CPU and GPU there are installed etc.
Something can only be corrected or changed once you know what the cause is and what needs to be changed or done. Just trying is not a very sensible activity.

So if you want help, you first need to give more information.

Relevant events (critical & non critical):

Start > Windows Administrative Tools > Event Viewer - Custom Views - Administrative Events

Just now, Kalju said:

First and foremost we should know what a computer is,

Computer model name is: Lenevo Ideapad 330S

System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model:               81F4

Just now, Kalju said:

when and how exactly this problem occurs.

The first time I noticed was when my browser was open and I was on https://store.steampowered.com/, it happened a few times more, again I think I was browsing in Firefox most of the time it happened. Maybe I should try different browsers and see if it still happens.

Just now, Kalju said:

It's very important to know, even this is important when and how You've cleaned junk, registry.

I don't do system/disk cleanups very often. I will do it right away. How should I clean registry though? Third party softwares?

Just now, Kalju said:

What drivers You have installed or what there was already etc.

Not sure how to check it.

Just now, Kalju said:

What CPU and GPU there are installed etc.

BIOS:                              7SCN23WW (type: UEFI)
Processor:                      Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory:                        8192MB RAM
Hard Disk Model:               WDC PC SN520 SDAPMUW-512G-1101 (I don't know if it's SSD or HDD)

Graphics :                      Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (Not gaming graphics but it still runs Witcher 3, AC3, ROTR etc very fine). I will stop playing games on it because it smells like something is burning when I run the games for half an hour or more. My previous Dell XPS motherboard got burned because of gaming.

Just now, Kalju said:

Something can only be corrected or changed once you know what the cause is and what needs to be changed or done. Just trying is not a very sensible activity.

So far I have only ran Windows Memory Diagnostic which showed no errors.

On 10/27/2019 at 2:42 AM, brain_death said:

More than 10000 errors and warnings in the administrative events.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:52 AM, erp-ster0 said:

I think it's set to defrag automatically even though it might be SSD.

optimize.thumb.jpg.dd29bfe2d4f457a708e61fc44fa36a10.jpg

Anyway, I have the warranty extended to 3 years just now. So I guess if there is any hardware issue, it should be more easily detected in 2-3 years.

So, thanks. Now I know what it is and what should to do.

Here is how I understand:

• It's Lenovo IdeaPad 330s - it's enough good to use (something similar)
  • Intel® Core™ i5-8250U Processor -  good enough for home or office use, not suitable for gamers because of the slow processor, (Processor Base Frequency 1.60 GHz, one core Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz, 4 Cores, 8 threads) -  more about it is here 
  • RAM - 8GB is enough for home or office use
  • Hard Disk Model:               WDC PC SN520 SDAPMUW-512G-1101 - it seems to be Western Digital PC SN520 NVMe SSD 512GB
  • Graphics :                      Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 -  good enough for home or office use
  • BIOS:                              7SCN23WW - seems to be the latest for this version - more: support , for the older BIOS 7SCN23WW here is the txt readme file .
  • I think, there is no problems.

My recommendations.

First of all install CCleaner latest and run registry cleaner. Delete all obsolete and junk keys what it finds. There is even not needed backup them, but You can if You want.
The second, download winapp2.ini for CCleaner, trim it with CCEnhancer, select what to delete (not mandatory, if You don't know what to select) and run CCleaner and delete all outdated junk.
Download Wise Care 365, and run PC checkup and delete all what it finds, then run Privacy protector and delete all what it finds, then run System Tunup and run Common Cleaner, Select All (bottom) and run it, then run System Cleaner and clean (use default if You don't know, what to select) junk, then run Registry Cleaner (select all items) and clean all (it makes automatically backup).
If this all is done, download Advanced System Care (download) and Run all what is recommended, but do not run Startup Optimization and System Optimation - these two are for advanced users... Even free version is enough good, if You dont have activation key to use pro version.
If this all is done, Your computer should run normally, if something after that also craches, must check Windows files and system
For this You must run as administrator:
cmd.exe and then sfc.exe /scannow
After that You'll get log file, where is what was repaired, what was not 
You can see this file if You run this command

@echo off
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
Start notepad "%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
exit

but You can  open it also manually, it's located in this folder

%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log

If all this is done, let me know the results, then we can decide what and how to proceed. 

If You said, that it updated from Home to Pro, there may be needed also update some drivers, or some drivers may be till not installed.

Good luck.

Forgot one little thing, open task manager and post this screenshot. Sometimes happens,  that CPU won't run in maximum speed and then is needed to do some changes in settings to make it run as should.

Here is on example, what I mean

Spoiler

CAUMOvC.jpg

zanderthunder
On 10/26/2019 at 7:22 AM, erp-ster0 said:

for SSD, recommended to use Auslogics Disk Defrag instead of built-in defragmentation program in Windows. Auslogics Disk Defrag has an option to optimize SSDs instead of regular defragmentation, cause it uses special algorithms that safely optimize your drive and help extend the SSD's service life.

Plus, I won't recommend doing regular defragmentation on SSD as it will affect your SSD's life.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:32 PM, Tickler said:

More than 10000 errors and warnings in the administrative events.

Could be a clue, don't you think, especially the errors? Find those occurring at or around the time of your laptop crash and see if these happen again.

An isolated event is probably nothing to fret over. But when you get a moment, you might want to consider trying to reduce those 10,000 errors just a little...

🤣

On 11/5/2019 at 12:32 PM, Tickler said:

I will stop playing games on it because it smells like something is burning when I run the games for half an hour or more.

FFS, lol...

😱

Archived