Question about DRIVERS

ESET Freak

Guys, I'm about to install Windows 7 on my Windows Vista machine, I would like to know whether the drivers are compatible with Windows 7? I heard Windows 7 won't have driver issues that faced by Windows Vista, but I just wanna make sure. Besides, can old drivers actually damage hardwares? I installed Windows 7 on an old laptop and it ran fine until last Friday when I start up the computer but the screen just went blank and I heard "tak tak" sounds, so I sent it for repair. I get help from My Digital Life forums and they said old driver might caused this, again I'm just trying to make sure.

• Replies 7
  • Views 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was the noise coming from the hard drive? I upgraded a machine to 7 Ultimate from Vista Ultimate.. without any real issues.. except the sound on this one. ( really old ) .. but after an update everything was fine.. I haven't really seen any hardware problems caused except with the instance of some codec issues which would lock a system or freeze it when plugging to the headphone jack.. ( from different pieces of equipment.. but I don't know if it was a permanent problem.. It would seem that prolonged use of something malfunctioning or operating incorrectly could over time cause an issue however..

I've done some fresh installs of Windows 7 on 5 machines in all. Basically I've discarded any software / drivers that came included with the original purchase of the machines and let Windows 7 find the necessary drivers. It has worked out very well.

@jalaffa: Thanks for that information. I was thinking of just upgrading my Vista machine, but perhaps now I'll do a fresh install like you have done many times.

Same thing as jalaf' post, but I recommend you guys to update the important stuff yourselfs.. Like the GPU drivers and the chipset drivers. It would perform a bit better. (at least most times..)

Just to share with you a problem I had with Vista and now I see it with Windows7 (but less annoying):

My secondary hard disk sometimes spins up and after 1 or 2 seconds it spins down again. Also it happened that I heard 3 sounds consecutively: spin up, spin down, spin up. During this time Vista Freeze. Some users thought that it was related to the update KB938979. But it was related to drivers

incompatibility with Vista.

With windows 7 I have again this problem with less frequency (two times a day).

I've done some fresh installs of Windows 7 on 5 machines in all. Basically I've discarded any software / drivers that came included with the original purchase of the machines and let Windows 7 find the necessary drivers. It has worked out very well.

I use DriverMax to backup my drivers before I install Windows 7 and restore them later, because I heard Windows 7 uses generic drivers and it might cause issues.

Archived