Memory and shopping question

PsychoticxBloodxLust

PsychoticxBloodxLust

Yay i know i have been to the community for a while but i havenot really had much time for myself latly but here is the question

I'm rebuilding my Beast

New board, new cpu, new memory

Board asus something socket am3 not am2+ with compatiblity though firmeware update for am3

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 125w

Ram DDR 3 can't decide 6gig of triple channel or 8 gigs of dual channal? (pros and con's of both?)

What do you guys think?

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PsychoticxBloodxLust

Hello.

Wiki

=> Dual channel only ! (Triple channel is only on Intel plateform)

++

so see if i go ddr 3 dual channel they will unclaock to the max speed of that of ddr2 if i read that right unless i single channel sticks not a big deal as i'm sure that has been fixed by now though bios updates

maybe you could help me find the mobo that is equal or better then that of the asus crosshair formula III i'd perfer the board be native am3 and use nvidia graphics and be from asus my head is killing me from looking at so many boards and trying to compare features

• Administrator

Make sure you know that you will need two mem sticks to make use of dual channel architecture and three for triple.

If you want to use Native AM3 board then you also need to use DDR3. Dual channel for max memory bandwidth, this does not affect speed for normal applications, only ones that need extreme memory bandwidth. Dual channel is the best way to go, just get a dual channel kit, they come with matched pairs already.

Also you shouldn't waste money on extremely low latency RAM, if you get a good deal take it, but otherwise the benchmarks only suggests small improvements from low latency ram these days.

When you say you want to use nvidia graphics I don't know if that means you will want to use SLI in future but in that case there is one and only ASUS board for you:

ASUS M4N82 Deluxe. That board uses the latest NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI chipset so it has better OC features and support for the AM3 CPU.

I don't really like nVIDIA chipsets because they use many times more power than AMD chipsets and deliver same performance.

The best board is the ASUS Crosshair III Formula.

The second and only comparable board to the Crosshair III Forumula would be the ASUS M4A79T Deluxe.

Not to be confused by the M4A79 Deluxe which is the same board but with DDR2 support instead.

Best to dump the nvidia graphics altogether and get a Radeon HD5970 or HD5870. The nvidia video card will work with any of the boards perfectly, just no chance of SLI if you use the amd chipsets.

PsychoticxBloodxLust

If you want to use Native AM3 board then you also need to use DDR3. Dual channel for max memory bandwidth, this does not affect speed for normal applications, only ones that need extreme memory bandwidth. Dual channel is the best way to go, just get a dual channel kit, they come with matched pairs already.

Also you shouldn't waste money on extremely low latency RAM, if you get a good deal take it, but otherwise the benchmarks only suggests small improvements from low latency ram these days.

When you say you want to use nvidia graphics I don't know if that means you will want to use SLI in future but in that case there is one and only ASUS board for you:

ASUS M4N82 Deluxe. That board uses the latest NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI chipset so it has better OC features and support for the AM3 CPU.

I don't really like nVIDIA chipsets because they use many times more power than AMD chipsets and deliver same performance.

The best board is the ASUS Crosshair III Formula.

The second and only comparable board to the Crosshair III Forumula would be the ASUS M4A79T Deluxe.

Not to be confused by the M4A79 Deluxe which is the same board but with DDR2 support instead.

Best to dump the nvidia graphics altogether and get a Radeon HD5970 or HD5870. The nvidia video card will work with any of the boards perfectly, just no chance of SLI if you use the amd chipsets.

well after serching more i was actually looking at the Crosshair 3 and for as far as sli on less you have the money there is really no reason to pay 1000 for 2 of the latest cards for crossfire or sli i look at it as being a simple way to buy another 3-4 year card that you already have in order to beef preforamance for newer games.

I have aprently been misguided by the different chipset's i always thought that amd chipset were for amd/ati graphic and nvida for nvidia but again i have been dumb.

looking at my current config would i would be able to use my current gpu with the crosshiar III if i understand all this correctly

well after serching more i was actually looking at the Crosshair 3 and for as far as sli on less you have the money there is really no reason to pay 1000 for 2 of the latest cards for crossfire or sli i look at it as being a simple way to buy another 3-4 year card that you already have in order to beef preforamance for newer games.

I have aprently been misguided by the different chipset's i always thought that amd chipset were for amd/ati graphic and nvida for nvidia but again i have been dumb.

looking at my current config would i would be able to use my current gpu with the crosshiar III if i understand all this correctly

Yes your NVIDIA XFX GeForce 9800 GX2 XXX Edition will work just fine with the Crosshair III or any other board for that matter. Notice when you buy the video card the system requirements are PCI Express 2.0 Slot and power cable, no mention of board specific chipsets and stuff like that. Any video card works in any motherboard once it has the correct slot. The only time you need to match chipset with video card brand is when you want additional features like crossfire or SLI.

happy shopping.

Archived