Getting the error “unexpected error; quitting” in Win10 version 1903? Blame the latest cumulative update

Karlston

Getting the error “unexpected error; quitting” in Win10 version 1903? Blame the latest cumulative update

Yet another bug in this month’s first cumulative update for Win10 version 1903, KB 4517389.

Our own Mark Busby described the symptoms:

After installing KB4517389 on these Windows systems, when opening 16-bit applications an error message is displayed “unexpected error; quitting” …  After removing the update the application works fine once more.

An anonymous poster on AskWoody pointed to this Answers Forum post, which gives more details:

I have a Windows 10 Home 1903 32bit machine.

After installing the windows update KB4517389 any programs that were coded in Microsoft Visual Basic 3 no longer run and give the message ‘unexpected error; quitting’

This message appears to be part of VBRUN300.DLL

If I uninstall the update the programs work ok again.

I have tried running these programs as administrator but this makes no difference.

Microsoft hasn’t confirmed the bug – and the only fix appears to be uninstalling the latest patch.

Source: Getting the error “unexpected error; quitting” in Win10 version 1903? Blame the latest cumulative update (AskWoody - Woody Leonhard)

If you like this post, then react_like small.jpg this post.

• Views 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived