Bunch of Ubuntu systems locked out

d3v

Hi all,

I'm working in a place that has a dozen Ubuntu systems that need networking together but I keep being prompted for the "Root" password. The guy who set up all the machines initially never noted the password down so now I'm stuck!

Is there some way of determining the Root password or changing it altogether?

Using Ubunti v9.04

Thanks in advance guys.

• Replies 6
  • Views 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By default it's the same you use to login. If 'im not wrong the root account is off and through sudo in the console you are temporary switched to root to make or install something.

Read these and see if they help.

http://www.debuntu.org/recover-root-password-single-user-mode-and-grub
http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/howto-recover-root-password_54.html

Hi all,

I'm working in a place that has a dozen Ubuntu systems that need networking together but I keep being prompted for the "Root" password. The guy who set up all the machines initially never noted the password down so now I'm stuck!

Is there some way of determining the Root password or changing it altogether?

Using Ubunti v9.04

Thanks in advance guys.

Before i put any reply, lemme ask u since how much time are u using ubuntu?

hi all.

I have zero experience with Linux, but I'm slowly learning both by reading and by rummaging around their Ubuntu systems at the place in question. I'm volunteering, setting up a net cafe, it's good experience.

Thanks for the article links. One said that Ubuntu offers a "single user" boot mode, how do I make use of this mode? is there a key I need to press during POST?

Failing that, I'm downloading the Knoppix Live CD as it may come in handy in the future.

Another thing is when I downloaded GRUB, all it was was a folder with various files, but no clear instructions of how to burn it to disk. Isn't there a simple ISO of GRUB, jeez!

Thanks all.

If you are refering for what I say, is the default... during installation Ubuntu ask for a password... and thats it. Linux is not like Windows, the user account in Ubuntu is a Limited account.... when you need install or do something that require Administrator privileges you are asked for your password (the same you use to login) again or you open a console, and use the "sudo" command to temporary elevate your privileges to do something. (there is a free app for windows that make Windows accounts work like this called Surun). In a first moment i say for you download the new Ubuntu version (9.10) and begin again with it. There is a linux distro called "Mint" that is based in Ubuntu and is more easy to work (ubuntu already is easy but Mint come with more things pre-installed and some other particular things). I like alot too Opensuse and Mandriva. This 2 distros comes with a central control panel that manage pratically all options... making your life more easy. Take a look at it.

How you are setuping a LAN, take a look at synaptic for "gufw". Ubuntu have a skinless Firewall called UFW, disabled by default. Normally for enable it you use at console:

sudo ufw enable (enable it)

sudo ufw default deny (default deny incoming connections)

sudo ufw logging on (enable it to log)

gufw is a GUI for it... making more easy setup rules.

If you wanna more easy and default deny outbound control (by port/service not by application) you can use Firestarter. Is a nice GUI for IPTables but i'm not sure if it still developed.

if you go with gufw:

The GUI not permit work with ICMP. So you need use:

cd /etc/ufw

or

cd /etc

cd ufw

This is for you go to the ufw firewall folder

and use

sudo gedit before.rules (sudo because need adm. privileges, gedit is the "powered notepad" of linux, before.rules is the name of the file.) scroll for the icmp rules.... it's more to the end... search for the icmp echo reply- type8- is something like this and switch the "ALLOW" for "DROP" - need be capital letters and save.

after you use

sudo gedit before6.rules (is the ipv6 rules) and search for the same line and put DROP too. You can put to DROP others ICMP types... but i'm not sure what types you can switch off.... beware because you are in a LAN. Some types can be needed.

take care

Archived