Sony Vaio VGN-Z890 and VGN-Z790 Review

Naota

Hey everyone... I wrote these two reviews on these two z-series sony laptops... i hope they help u all make a decision. I'll put the pro's/cons in this post so you get the main idea.

Full Article on VGN-Z890

Pros: High quality construction. Attractive, Successful Patented Hybrid Graphics System (requires no reboot), lightweight and slim design. DDR3 Memory, great battery life, HDMI Connectivity with Audio Transmission, Windows 7, Very Portable.

Cons: Same outdated video card as previous VGN-Z790 model, highly priced. Lots of bloatware, slightly fragile design, quiet speakers.

Key Takeaway: The VGN-Z890 does not offer any substantial changes from its predecessor, the VGN-Z790, but when a laptop is already this good, it is understandable. This laptop is still one of the most powerful ones in his weight class.

Full Article on VGN-Z790

Pros: Extremely light weight, attractive design, ddr3, decent video card, reasonably priced upgrades, wonderful keyboard, good battery life, HDMI Connectivity With Audio, Hybrid Graphics(Without Reboot) Eligible for the Windows 7 Upgrade

Cons: Extremely HIGH price to start with, expensive upgrades, no option to upgrade video card, Sony puts loads of 3rd party applications on Operating System, a little fragile, Weak Video card. No VM support (see miscellaneous section)

Key Takeaway: The VGN-Z790 earns its stripes as the executive laptop. This laptop is great for business trips but comes at an executive price as well.

• Replies 5
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thanks for these detailed reviews. I noticed earlier that the price for the latest Z series laptop also increased here in Canada.

I don't know I am still looking for a cool replacement to the Dell that had the 20" screen and detachable keyboard.. That I was going to get as my desktop and then they discontinued it.. all I could find were parts on eBay.. I don't remember the model number but it was top of the line several years ago.. kind of big ( full 20" screen ) but you could get some MAJOR power and options.. I need to find something that cool..

Yeah, I saw that Dell 20" on a TV show quite a few months ago. It seemed pretty nice.

As for the Sony VAIO Z series, they are too expensive in my opinion. I guess it's good for an executive that goes on business trips.

Wow, thanks for these detailed reviews. I noticed earlier that the price for the latest Z series laptop also increased here in Canada.

I stumbled into Sony's Vaio VGN-Z890 webpage VIA google and saw this laptop about 1 month before it came out on the Canada website.. and yeah it was even cheaper! I tried ordering a laptop with the best configuration cause the site's "build your computer" wasn't adding up the upgrade prices to the total yet, but the checkout function didn't work. </3 haha.

Archived