The Pale Moon Project

Jota.Ce

I've seen this a moment ago...

Why settle for a basic build of your Firefox browser on Windows Operating Systems when you can have one that performs 25% faster? Mozilla does not provide optimized browser packages for Windows, while many Linux users get the advantage of a browser built specifically for their system. That needs to change! So, here is the Pale Moon project: Custom-built and optimized Firefox browsers for Windows Operating Systems. Make sure to get the most speed out of your browser!

Of course, getting a faster browser is not just about optimizing the compilation process (building a program from its source code), but also about carefully choosing features and how to choose the best setup. This means that this browser, however extremely close to Firefox, does not have all the functions that Firefox has. A few, carefully selected, features have been disabled that are not in high demand, and that do not interfere with the way web pages are displayed or function; all to maximize speed and efficiency of the browser. Please see the page with technical details to learn exactly what the browser supports, and what it doesn't support. In short, if you need accessibility features or parental controls, then please visit the firefox homepage and get the official, non-optimized build.

Homepage

Have anybody tried it to confirm if it's really faster ???

PS: I also hate cross-platform projects. Win win win is all i want (Linsux sux).

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting find.

Did a 10 minute test...

Had the portable version installed on my USB stick. I'm not sure if the plugins for idm, roboform, admuncher etc. works with it.

For speed.

JavaScript test from Celtickane.com http://jsbenchmark.celtickane.com/

gave 182 for my original 3.5.5 Firefox and 161 for this one. Higher score the better.

CSS rendering test http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/csstest.html

148ms in the original 147ms in Pale Moon

The Acid3 tests http://acid3.acidtests.org/

gave 93/100 and missing blue color in both.

Guess I'll stick with the standard one. But I'll have this one as a backup.

I'm a SeaMonkey user, not Firefox, but that guy says he made builds of Thunderbird and SeaMonkey some time ago, so i'll try for sure if he releases mine.

Anyway, i have to recommend reading his webpage, since there are 3 kind of things disabled, there are a list of supported processors (but i have an Athlon XP, so i'd need his special build, less tested), and he says he won't update as many times as official Firefox.

And... he says it's the first time he makes a portable version (and portable is not always equal to installed). I don't wanna say it's better without proofs (there are sunspider proofs by him, but i'd like to try myself)...

As for what i say (instead of what he says), if you remove code, that should be smaller and faster. But sincerely, i prefer better feel when using it much more over than speed rendering javascript or similar, so i could end throwing this away if it's only faster under heavy javascript loading (which isn't so common i guess). And as i prefer better feel, i use SeaMonkey, where i feel free xDDDDDDD

I already tested the SSE2 FF and also didn't notice anything different, THE only thing I care about is memory usage because it's the main problem in FF and so far nothing changed it, at least not for the better!

I will be checking this out eventually.. surprised to find my Celeron was SSE2 capable.. Thought it wasn't.

SSE2 is old ! (Since 2001 for Intel... :rolleyes: )

++

Well this was bought around 2005 from a company named Everex.. which no longer exists.. Yes single core and a POS.. Not SSE3 capable..along with a bunch of other problems..

I use a custom build of Firefox, but not this one.

@Bizarre

:please: May I ask what build of FF you use & where is it available from?

I would like to try it also, specially if it is portable.

special builds here are for old computers if you can't run firefox just UPGRADE YOUR COMPUTER SON!

You have no idea what you're talking about..."son"!

I already tested the SSE2 FF and also didn't notice anything different, THE only thing I care about is memory usage because it's the main problem in FF and so far nothing changed it, at least not for the better!
Try AFOM Plus Firefox extension - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14024It works for me. :)

Will give it a try, thanks.

@KotaXor:

You'll only experience 3 to 5% increase in speed.

Barely noticeable, but for me even small increase in speed counts :)

I'm getting sick of this, FF is getting worse every day, takes ages to start (speedyfox didn't help much). Any suggestions? I'm using AFOM, could it be the problem?

I tried AFOM and about the only thing I noticed was a drop in Virtual Memory usage.. but for me with 2GB of RAM it not really an issue.. The special builds, IMO should only effect processor usage.. ( more efficient hard to notice for some ) maybe a slight decrease in Memory.. but with AFOM.. I found that FF seem to get 'stuck' quite a few times so I removed it..I notice just slight improvements but within actual usage I also found the previously mentioned downside..

Archived