Microsoft reveals new Windows 10 Start menu in accidental leak

steven36

Oops

https://s7d2.turboimg.net/sp/7fe6d5eb8b450024d8453f6b168eee9e/1563941266318473463367763702.jpg

Microsoft has accidentally released an internal-only version of Windows 10 to testers, revealing a new Start menu design. The software giant has distributed Windows 10 build 18947, meant for internal Xbox development, to Windows Insider testers using 32-bit devices. It’s an internal-only build from the company’s canary branch, and yet Microsoft has published it to all Windows 10 testers whether they’re in release preview, fast ring, or even slow ring testing.

Thankfully, it’s only released to 32-bit systems, which aren’t widely used, but it’s an embarrassing mistake for Microsoft’s Windows 10 testing efforts. This internal build appears to include a new Start menu design, that’s very early in testing, without Microsoft’s Live Tiles. It’s something Microsoft is testing internally, but it’s not clear whether Windows 10 will fully drop Live Tiles in the Start menu anytime soon. This new build also includes a GIF search tool within the emoji picker for Windows 10.

This isn’t the first time Microsoft has made this mistake. Back in 2017 the company released internal versions of Windows 10 for PC and mobile, and caused some devices to enter a reboot loop. Microsoft quickly spotted the mistake, and helped affected Windows 10 users with a device recovery tool.

Microsoft’s Windows Insider chief, Dona Sarkar, says the company is “looking into” this latest issue. We’ve also reached out to Microsoft for further comment, and we’ll update you accordingly.

Source

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter what , will keep using my superb Open-Shell.............:thumbsup:

Absolutely no matter what it is or what there is, but they should deal with substance and basical problems but not with cosmetic problems.

It is very strange that Microsoft is publishing announcements on Twitter. Really very strange.

16 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Absolutely no matter what it is or what there is, but they should deal with substance and basical problems but not with cosmetic problems.

It is very strange that Microsoft is publishing announcements on Twitter. Really very strange.

Announcements?  I see none Dona Sarkar is always on there talking   when they release a build that her Twitter page not Microsoft's

And how is it strange  they do Announcements all the time on there insiders page  do you live under a rock?

Selection 017

https://mobile.twitter.com/windowsinsider/status/1153718964498792448

is not star menu!

is just a special menu for insiders only, similar to the new search window with most used apps.

3 minutes ago, SPECTRUM said:

is not star menu!

is just a special menu for insiders only, similar to the new search window with most used apps.

It was not meant to be released at all to Windows it was for XBOX and they pushed it out on  32 bit insiders windows 10 it's not been tested yet .

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

It was meant to be released at all to Windows it was for XBOX and they pushed it out on  32 bit insiders windows 10 it's been tested yet .

Okay, then that clears all our discussion and views on this

Thank you for the feedback

9 minutes ago, cosy said:

Okay, then that clears all our discussion and views on this

Thank you for the feedback

If you thank Microsoft meant to release  a not tested version to the slow ring  you Windows 10 users are doomed ! I'm not a Windows 10 user at all .  The only Feedback I have is what Insiders said who test for them . I could care less if it fries  millions of insiders machines and them pushing out   :shit: like this it could very well happen . :tooth:

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

If you thank Microsoft meant to release  a not tested version to the slow ring  you Windows 10 users are doomed ! I'm not a Windows 10 users at all .  The only Feedback I have is what Insiders   said who test from them . I could care less if it fries  millions of insiders machine and them pushing out   :shit: like this it could very well happen . :tooth:

I'm a beta tester over so many years, but we do have our discrepancies over lots of issues in there.

I don't think this will make any effect to any machine in any case 🤣

1 hour ago, cosy said:

I'm a beta tester over so many years, but we do have our discrepancies over lots of issues in there.

I don't think this will make any effect to any machine in any case 🤣

All you people who act like Microsoft never makes mistakes and do no no wrong  blindly installing crap  and are not IT certificated  because they laid off there real testing department  in 2014 and use people who don't know what there doing  just so they can get builds faster is the reason people are leaving windows 10 .  Even people like Chris Titus who is a Microsoft Certified IT and makes a living installing and fixing Windows 10 in the filed  use Linux instead . 

I been testing  software  for 17 years  and i don't even use Windows 10 in over a year, so telling me your are a lab rat and do something for free witch Microsoft use to pay good money to do don't impress me at all. when i worked  at a plant that made computer parts as a Tech i got paid for it.  I'm not going to test software for no Big Tech Company for free who have billions of dollars I don't even like using there software at all anymore . They took a wrong turn in 2015 and using it was no longer worth the hassle, :lmao: 

The 1st year Windows 10 came out they were many insiders that were so naive they was running test build on the only PC they had many thought they were not going have regressions  and they went back to stable. Every time something really bad happens in insiders a bunch of insiders leave the channel    Me being a bleeding edge software tester  back then for open source have seen issues  brew over into so called  stable that botched people's PC that came out of testing in a update more than once. I don't consider messing my OS up fun even on my test PC  and don't condone it . 

The problem with windows now is they just add new features for the sake of doing it,  upgrades for no good reason. If  they would of  made Windows 10 more like Windows 7 they would  of got that billion users they wanted .But at the rate they going they want be a billion users left on all windows soon .There user base has been shrinking  for a few years now.  Insiders are Alpha testers and Consumers are beta testers  for Business who have no choice by law but to upgrade  to Windows 10 if they going keep using Microsoft Windows there. But as a Consumer you have a choice to not use windows at all.

Here is  more discussions on this

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/137195-microsoft-mistakenly-released-windows-10-build-18947-all-insiders.html?s=1fbb742c93eb5765b56088138cae3c43

https://old.reddit.com/r/windowsinsiders/comments/ch6ca0/windows_10_build_18947_is_being_pushed_to/

What i read  it seems to not have Live Tiles  like the other Start Menu  did and  It seems Microsoft has pulled it it now.

https://s7d6.turboimg.net/sp/82d20aadae4db4d3309aeae592b0937f/Selection_018.png

More people using test builds  on there main PC  what a circus show it is ,I read the Windows 10 news to give me something to laugh at. WTF do you have a VM at all of it  if you use it in your Main PC  ? On the stable channel  (with is really beta)  they is pages and pages of news here at this alone  about bugs since  it was released in 2015 its enough to make a normal person cringe  and people using a Alpha versions on there  main PC shows they don't know what there doing or have any concern about making Windows 10 really stable ,  They just using it so they can get builds faster .Businesses are waiting tell like 90 days after the it comes to consumers to install it  and insiders are just people addicted to installing stuff the consumers really don't want and wish they stop pushing out to stable.  Most Windows users are not technically inclined . If  they was they would not ware a reason not to use Linux shirt , because if your Technically inclined linux is very easy. They want a stable OS that not upgrade very often  . Many don't know how too even install windows and switch to using a smart phone instead.  they should give the consumer a choice not to upgrade  there version  if they don't want to   .:rofl:

Alerts and Notifications, click the slider bar next to Display notifications on desktop

By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report

This morning, Microsoft inadvertently released a preview build of Windows 10 to every ring of the Windows Insider Program. The incident was quickly resolved, but it serves as a cautionary tale. Here's how to respond if an unwanted update appears on your PC.

https://s7d2.turboimg.net/sp/cd9d34de1ac83fbd0a3c8ca7d0d291cc/stop-windows-update.jpg

Oops. Members of the Windows Insider Program got an unpleasant surprise this morning, as Microsoft accidentally released preview build 18947 to every Insider ring. The botched release, which had not gone through the normal vetting process from the Windows release team, even targeted Insiders in the Slow ring, which normally receives builds only after they've been validated by a large group of testers in the Fast ring.

The issue was first noted on Twitter by Zac Bowden of Windows Central, who also has noted several details of new features that were available in the build and presumably not ready for public release yet.)

The early build was removed from update servers roughly an hour later, but not before it automatically downloaded to an unknown number of PCs set up as part of the Windows Insider Program. Reached for comment, a Microsoft spokesperson said, "This was an error and we've since pulled the build."

For the 795 million or so PCs running Windows 10 that are running official Windows 10 versions and aren't a part of the Insider program, today's false alarm was a non-issue. But the incident offers a cautionary tale on how to respond in the event you find a Windows 10 feature update awaiting installation and you aren't ready to install it.

First, Windows 10 doesn't immediately restart after downloading a feature update. Instead, you see one or more prompts offering you the opportunity to schedule the restart and installation. Here's what you'll see on the Windows Update page in Settings:

https://s7d3.turboimg.net/sp/81c7828b075753eb4ddeedd41681fb88/accidental-update-18947.jpg

Two available options are obvious: Restart Now and Schedule The Restart. There's no obvious button to cancel the update, but you can do exactly that by clicking the Pause Updates button. That option clears any pending updates and results in a screen like the one shown here.

https://s7d3.turboimg.net/sp/9bb9157c8cd54c9b74175d0ae449c339/pause-update-18947.jpg

In this case, the seven-day pause is sufficient; you can click the Resume button any time within that seven-day period to check for and install other updates. If you want the pause to extend more than a week, click Advanced Options and select a specific date up to 35 days in the future.

Source

Live Tiles are going away, here’s the new Start Menu design

Early this year, we posted on a rumour that Windows Lite may come without support for Microsoft’s Live Tile system. Later, we reported another evidence indicating that Live Tiles may soon disappear on Windows 10 Start Menu. Today, the death of Live Tiles was almost confirmed, thanks to the new internal build which Microsoft released accidentally.

This new Windows 10 build 18947 comes with a new Start Menu design without Live Tiles. The Start Menu design may not be final, but one thing is clear, Live Tiles are going away! I think most general consumers will not miss Live Tiles as most of the Windows 10 apps didn’t support it.

Source: Live Tiles are going away, here’s the new Start Menu design  (MSPoweruser)