Apple makes Macs run Windows XP

Lite

• Administrator

Apple has released software that lets users run Microsoft's operating system on its computers that use Intel chips.

Read More/ Source: BBC News

• Replies 5
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The technologies within Boot Camp would be included in the next version of Mac OS X, code-named "Leopard.", Apple confirmed in a statement.

Boot Camp provides an official solution for what hackers managed to accomplish in March, with one major difference: it does not destroy the existing Mac OS X data to install Windows. Users must provide their own Windows XP SP2 Home or Professional CD, and have at least 10GB of free disk space. Apple has included drivers, most importantly for the ATI video chipsets used within the Intel Macs.

Some features, such as Bluetooth Wireless keyboards and mice from Apple and the built-in remote control, will not work in Windows. The MacBook Pro's iSight camera and ambient light sensor will also not function.

"This is a win-win for Apple and Microsoft," Creative Strategies analysts Tim Bajarin said. "Apple should clearly be able to attract more "switchers" and on-the fence buyers to the Mac platform while Microsoft gets to sell full versions of Windows XP to Mac users."

"The obvious benefactor would be MacBook Pro, which could appeal to people interested in the sleek laptop but needing to run Windows," added Jupiter Research senior analyst Joe Wilcox.

"For example, JupiterResearh surveys show pretty good uptake of Mac OS X on the desktop, mainly as a Unix replacement. Those same businesses, many of which already have rights to Windows licenses through their enterprise agreements, could install Windows XP on Intel-based Macs. For that exec long lusting for an Apple laptop, Windows XP could make the difference."

Source: Beta News

This is really interesting ...

My next system sure would be a MAC... they cost twice as much wen compared to a PC...

Will wait for Leapord to be released.

Yeah, I read about that.. Its pretty tight. Makes me want to buy a mac for my next computer. Ever since I got mac running on PC, Ive loved it. Sorta lets me preview Mac before I take the next step to buy it. But now with Windows on it, the transition is even easier. :)

SliverSamuel

yea, i have a mac, but u can't play games like Madden '06 on it, its way too slow

ROMANTICGUY50
Yeah, I read about that.. Its pretty tight. Makes me want to buy a mac for my next computer. Ever since I got mac running on PC, Ive loved it. Sorta lets me preview Mac before I take the next step to buy it. But now with Windows on it, the transition is even easier. :)

Sounds interesting to me and would be worth trying. Hope it would have less problems with the Windows operating system does on a regular Winows PC does. Tired of all the fixes from Microsoft. Hope they get it right one of these days. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived