Desktop Purchase

TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar

[Is this the right thread for this?] I am looking at pre-built desktops. This desktop at Micro Center looks good. [Micro Center is near me. The Powerspec is their inhouse. It would be close by for service] The specs seems good. I want to output to a 4K TV at times. Also, I want to do some heavy duty processing of UHD Blu-Rays - shrinking them down to BD50. I need the processing power to do chess analysis. My take on this is you need both superior hardware as well as software to do this.

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the shop/company is nearby, why not simply going there and see with them if there is a way to upgrade the model you're interested in? Maybe even be able to try your softwares there. 

TheEmpathicEar

1. I am just trying to get some feedback on the specific PC - hardware that I linked and then go from there. 2. I am not trying to upgrade anything. My existing desktop is very old and not worthy. i.e. Motherboard is too old.

Maybe some misunderstanding here. (2) It's not about upgrading your existing desktop, it's about meeting MicroCenter people in order to adjust the specs of the desktop you gave a link to ;)

About the specs themselves, witch soft are you planning to run? Those running the same (or similar) softs could tell you what kind of specs are require.

TheEmpathicEar

I am just trying to get some feedback about the PC I linked to in the OP. It's a starting point. Is it worth the $$? What are the advantages? Disadvantages? Intel vs AMD? Is a AMD processor with 8 cores as good as an Intel? etc.

57 minutes ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

I am just trying to get some feedback about the PC I linked to in the OP. It's a starting point. Is it worth the $$? What are the advantages? Disadvantages? Intel vs AMD? Is a AMD processor with 8 cores as good as an Intel? etc.

I would get AMD.  Also be sure to check out the power supply.  So often they skimp on that.  Make sure it is powerful.

TheEmpathicEar
1 minute ago, dhjohns said:

I would get AMD.  Also be sure to check out the power supply.  So often they skimp on that.  Make sure it is powerful.

The specs are there in that link in the OP. I think the power supply is 600 watts?

• Administrator

I'm not an expert in these things but looks good to me.

Having said, new AMD processors are coming. So better get those newer ones. For your things, AMD processors are perfect. Even more RAM would be better than 16GB. There is no HDD in it, you need higher spaced HDD for the work you are doing. As for power supply, 600W means anything, one needs a good quality power supply, not based only on watts but better models and companies there.

Buy AMD procesor Intel was strenght till LGA 2011 after it started build overpiced craps
but i preffer wait for thier "AMD" lates model which will coming soon

PC SPEC:
CPU: AMD
GPU: EVGA or ASUS
MOBO: Asus or Gigabyte
PSU: Seasonic
RAM: Kingston
DISK SSD: Crucial or Samsung / HDD: WD Red Pro
CASE: something in Cube style instand of casual Tower
example Thermaltake Core X5

Addtional stuff
Headset - AKG 240MK ii or ISK HD9999
Mouse Zowie or Logitech (evade razer)
Keyboard: Qpad MK-85 or Corsair k70 speed MX

You can see gear setup by pros from StarCraft 2
https://imgur.com/a/ixDhR

Little info about diferences in cherry MX
https://imgur.com/a/RJqM4

TheEmpathicEar
6 hours ago, DKT27 said:

I'm not an expert in these things but looks good to me.

Having said, new AMD processors are coming. So better get those newer ones. For your things, AMD processors are perfect. Even more RAM would be better than 16GB. There is no HDD in it, you need higher spaced HDD for the work you are doing. As for power supply, 600W means anything, one needs a good quality power supply, not based only on watts but better models and companies there.

I have a terabyte internal HDD for data, seperate from my system drive, in the my existing desktop. My plan was to move both this and a Blu-Ray writer to whatever new desktop I get.

@QuilvaI am trying to keep the cost down below $1000 for this desktop. I am assuming that the newest processors [for example] are going to cost much more.

You didn't mention what you will do on PC, bc if you wanna gaming pc you will need get graphic card from mid-high segment if you wannna get satisfaction from game (good details and fps)

And RTX 2070  cost aurond 500$ on clean.

Other way if you buy something more weak like 2060 RTX or sometinhg from older graphic card can be not enought to play news games even on minumu setting in current time and what about future... so sometimes its better add more $$$ and buy pc which will not usless after fresh bought and work well for next years....

Archived