NOD32 Instalation problems

mentallychallenged

mentallychallenged

Hi,

I am new so am not sure if this question is appropriate or appropriately posted. I have been trying to install the trial version (32 bit) Nod32 Antvirus but with no luck. The instalation keeps rolling back. I have uninstalled AVG (even cleaned the registry), Uniblue Power Suite (though it is not an antivirus) but no luck. Have written to the company-- I first tried to used the license numbers shared on some of the forums, but thought this could be the issue and hence went back to the trail version----still no luck.

Has anyone faced such problems.

I am currently running the online scanner---in the hope that will make the installation easy. That works but not the installation of the program itself.

Any pointers?

Tnks

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT: First try these...

If you run into any of these 'installation' issues.. ( My ekrn.exe service always gets stuck in my computer )..

1. I usually attempt to remove properly - Using the Uninstall link provided in the ESET Start Menu folder..( This is the big thing #1 ).. as instructed..Usually works... IF that is gone I try the Control Panel for removing programs.. IF that doesn't work..

2. Shred and delete all traces of ESET in your system.. ( I actually like to clean the registry too.. )

3. Use the uninstaller ( This is the big thing..#2 )provided by ESET at their site.. ( must be run in Safe Mode for 7.. )

4. Remove that ekrn.exe file for me.. and install new version...

I would make sure that you have un-installed all active protection in your PC.. Check the main sites for these programs for AV removers..Some have them and may be necessary to properly uninstall them..Then I would look for all program directories related to the companies and programs in your computer ( that you have removed, related to AV/Protection ).. in your Application Data folder, Program Files folder.. anywhere that may have files left behind..I would delete these files/folders.. Then use an uninstaller utility to remove any installers related to programs no longer used, or were previously used including ESET.. The uninstaller utility I am talking about is called Windows Install Cleanup ( also available at Microsoft Downloads ).. this is a little different from an uninstaller which will uninstall programs.. this removes the MSI files relative to installs that may be called and used instead of the new ones you are trying to install.. this can cause issues..so they make a remover.

You may also use Spybot Search and Destroy to scan your 'System Internals'.. this scan will look for files which use incorrect filenames or paths.. This can also clean up a few areas.. I would then recommend a Registry Cleaner which will clean your registry of any other entries pointing to any other files which may not either be there or may be incorrect..( You could also defrag your registry as well )

This should clean your system of any invalid entries..You should definitely reboot your system after all of this and see if your install goes as it should.. if not..there may be an issue with installing the drivers for ESET..( I think this may only be for ESS though ). You shouldn't have a real issue though.. I have had this problem before.. in fact I had to physically remove the main service EXE from my system.. and do manual cleaning to upgrade it..but I have not experienced this issue since version 3..It should be easy to address..

I've seen that rollback 2 times...

But the cause here was i usually delete many shit... and if you delete older MSI installer, then you can't uninstall previous version, so new installer gives a rollback to you.

I hate MSI installs more and more each time, but that system tend to generate a copy of original installer in one Windows subfolder, so when you want to uninstall it, uninstaller calls original installer. This method is maybe correct when you want to add/remove some components, but we all have lived without that shit for ages. It's very easy to store a LOG/DAT/INI/whatever file with your installed components/files/regkeys in order to uninstall or add/remove components in the future.

I avoid my rollbacks simply putting old version installer near new installer, which is weird at all.

• Administrator

You know .msi installer do suck. But you can extract the .exe file from the .msi by 7zip or WinRAR. That's what I've been doin from years.

mentallychallenged

Thank you so much friends for taking trouble to respond. The rollback was happening at the point, registration of software. Anyway, after repeated installations and removal I found the windows installer also got corrupted. So finally I reinstalled the latest installer (4.5). That solved the problem. I will bear in mind the trick mentioned by someone here of extracting the exe file using 7zip. That seems worth remembering for many other installations too. Many thanks again

• Administrator

You are welcome. If you have any more questions, etc; feel free to ask. :)

• 7 months later...

You know .msi installer do suck. But you can extract the .exe file from the .msi by 7zip or WinRAR. That's what I've been doin from years.

When I extracted the files from the .msi, I didn't see an .exe file.

You need some uninstall tools, go check the eset main website.I ' v seen some tools there,for avg, kis, norton,etc.

Archived