Google to restrict modern ad blocking Chrome extensions to enterprise users

steven36

Coming Soon .... The Dawn of the Web-Planet of  the ADGUARD !! :D 

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheEmpathicEar

I use AdGuard on Android. I have no idea how or how well it works on Windows.

1 hour ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

Chrome users [like me] would have to know how to migrate bookmarks, and possibly other things.

Most browsers allow importing of stuff from other browsers. Firefox is no different...

Switching from Chrome to Firefox

How To Import Chrome Data To Firefox: History & Bookmarks (and Passwords and Cookies)

6 hours ago, IronY-Man said:

Coming Soon .... The Dawn of the Web-Planet of  the ADGUARD !! :D

They a few caveat  with ADGUARD it's shareware , the masses will never adopt it in this  ill give you all my data in exchange  for free software and services world we live in today. They was paid AD Blockers  long before ADGUARD many witch are abandon-ware  now they was even crack versions and they blame that and this forum on they reason they made it free and abandon it  .

People  don't  like paying  and the masses don't visit warez forums to get some crack version  the  reason extensions  have millions of users is there free . Also ADGUARD only have a DNS filter and extensions you can use on Linux.  Outside of the warez  forums people are talking about using PI-Hole ,   DNS that block ads  , Host block  or switching browsers  but no one is talking about buying and AD Blocker  and no one is talking about pirating one  ether but pirates . Heck IE  always  had this problem and it's one the masses quit using it too. 🤣

The best we can hope for that this may spark a interest  with some open source devs that are not into blocking ADs  for a fee  to make some standalone adblocker software.:chug:

On 5/31/2019 at 5:00 AM, DKT27 said:

Expect a lot of people to switch to Firefox. A lot of them are switching already but they were in minority, now expect more to do so.

Remember, changes to Firefox addons made it problematic for regular users of Firefox, it does not deter Chrome users from switching to Firefox.

Having said, I do think such addons developers will find a way to make them work, but not as efficiently though.

just wondering but what was the reason firefox decided to kill off the old addons that simply worked? from what i understand, session manager was especially hit hard, and still hasn't recovered with a mature api for extensions to make good use of yet.

when i tried going back to firefox, the one CORE functionality i couldn't get to work is an extension similar to session buddy/the great suspender which are both capable of reopening windows sessions with multiple windows and tabs in the CORRECT original order.

Closest i got was session boss, but it had the problem of reopening them in an unordered manner making a mess.

now i'm using brave browser to weather out this storm. i can still use my chrome extensions normally, and it gutted out the closed source chrome coding (SUPPOSEDLY). And the brave dev promise to not let this crappy manifest 3 make it's way into brave browser.

• Administrator
On 6/5/2019 at 5:19 AM, Cereberus said:

just wondering but what was the reason firefox decided to kill off the old addons that simply worked? from what i understand, session manager was especially hit hard, and still hasn't recovered with a mature api for extensions to make good use of yet.

when i tried going back to firefox, the one CORE functionality i couldn't get to work is an extension similar to session buddy/the great suspender which are both capable of reopening windows sessions with multiple windows and tabs in the CORRECT original order.

Closest i got was session boss, but it had the problem of reopening them in an unordered manner making a mess.

now i'm using brave browser to weather out this storm. i can still use my chrome extensions normally, and it gutted out the closed source chrome coding (SUPPOSEDLY). And the brave dev promise to not let this crappy manifest 3 make it's way into brave browser.

Thing is, Firefox addons were based on a really outdated language, if you might call it. That language that was made more than two decades ago, which served it's needs during the time, was the biggest reason of the slowness and slow responsiveness of Firefox. Not only did that language give enormous powers to the addons which slowed the Firefox, the language was fundamentally such that it was the biggest reason behind the slowness of it. The loading of pages, the interface, all was slow due to one single thing. Now, you can change somethings in the language, but you cannot fix the fundamentals without breaking it completely - which would have broken all the addons either way. It was a thing that Mozilla had to do, not from now, from almost a decade. They and everyone in the browsers developers world knew that they will have to get rid of it, otherwise Firefox will never be able to stand the needs of the modern fast web. Just run a page loading test in the original Firefox addons version and newer Quantum versions, the difference is really big. So Mozilla knew that had to do it at some point of time, but they kept delaying it, knowing well that users might not like it, but they had to do it to stay relevant.

As far as individual addons are concerned, I am not aware much. But as far as API are concerned, I agree, Mozilla has been rather slow in implementing them properly and in a quick manner I think.

TheEmpathicEar

1. I always thought that Chrome was bloated too? 2. Is Firefox a good alternative to Chrome now? Or, will this still take some time? [Add-Ons are important to me here in this analysis. The only reason I am interested is the headline here]

• Administrator
1 minute ago, TheEmpathicEar said:

1. I always thought that Chrome was bloated too? 2. Is Firefox a good alternative to Chrome now? Or, will this still take some time? [Add-Ons are important to me here in this analysis. The only reason I am interested is the headline here]

Chrome was always fast. The problem it had is lack of sufficient customization and the overall belief that it used RAM like anything. Now using free RAM is a good thing, but using so much RAM in such a big scale either speaks that they made it purposely so as a feature to keep the browser fast or it speaks about lesser likely thing that is badly optimized browser - which is unlikely as Google develops it.

As far it's comparison to Firefox is concerned, while it's always upon individuals to decide, Firefox is gaining relevance more these days. Reasons are simple. Firefox is pushing more and more for openness of the internet and privacy of users and Google, if not Chrome itself seems to be going in the opposite directions.

Trying a different browser and getting used to it is never easy. I did not accept Firefox as my main browser for a long time, in the days Firefox was considered the best. So it takes time to get used to it.

Archived