Computer Won't Boot From Any USB Flash Drive

uffbros

I have a friend's HP Envy computer with Win 10 Home. He called and said the computer won't boot. It just sits with the HP Logo on the screen. Tried to reboot and it goes into diagnostic mode and fixes nothing. I tried 3 different USB install flash drives that work on my rig and it just boots to the HP Logo screen. I went into the BIOS and everything is ok. I took out the ram modules to see if it was ram...not that. I tried both Legacy and UEFI install drives..no boot menu. This machine has a SSD for the boot drive and a SATA 7200 rpm mechanical drive. I swapped out the boot drive with another 2.5" mechanical drive and get same results. I have tried everything..I been doing this for 22 years. The computer is only a year old. If it was motherboard I wouldn't get into the BIOS would I? I tried all 5 USB ports front and back. What would a shop check next? 

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hello,

have you checked whether "secure boot" is enabled or not ?

if so, you have to disable it.

if you intend to install windows in legacy bios, make sure to disable UEFI in the bios and don't forget to save the changes before leaving the bios.

1)  Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port and turn on the computer.

2)  Immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

3) Press F9 to open the Boot Device Options menu.

4)  Use the up or down arrow key to select the USB flash drive, and then press Enter .

NOTE: If you cannot select the USB flash drive from the Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Support in BIOS. For detailed instructions, see the Disabling Secure Boot on a notebook computer (Windows 8). After saving the changes, the computer will request that you confirm the changes... Accept the changes by typing the four digit code and pressing the "ENTER" key.

You may also have to set "System Configuration" > "USB3.0 Config in Pre-Boot"  to "Auto" in the BIOS.

What are you trying to boot with ?
Try a new Linux Distro burnt to the USB with Unetbootin or similar.

HP comps need usb 3.0 drivers slipstreamed into the drivers of the windows drivers on the usb boot drive.

Especially if its an AMD comp.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:12 AM, uffbros said:

I have a friend's HP Envy computer with Win 10 Home. He called and said the computer won't boot. It just sits with the HP Logo on the screen. Tried to reboot and it goes into diagnostic mode and fixes nothing. I tried 3 different USB install flash drives that work on my rig and it just boots to the HP Logo screen. I went into the BIOS and everything is ok. I took out the ram modules to see if it was ram...not that. I tried both Legacy and UEFI install drives..no boot menu. This machine has a SSD for the boot drive and a SATA 7200 rpm mechanical drive. I swapped out the boot drive with another 2.5" mechanical drive and get same results. I have tried everything..I been doing this for 22 years. The computer is only a year old. If it was motherboard I wouldn't get into the BIOS would I? I tried all 5 USB ports front and back. What would a shop check next? 

take the ssd and try it on your rig

But I took the SSD out of the equation and put in another working drive to troubleshoot and same results.

13 hours ago, roninmma said:

HP comps need usb 3.0 drivers slipstreamed into the drivers of the windows drivers on the usb boot drive.

Especially if its an AMD comp.

It's an intel processor....Also my other computer is identical to this one except for the model is slightly different but same componets basically. Mine is a 750-520 and his is a 750-524. I never need USB 3 drivers added to install .iso. Win 10 I'm sure has them already

Strange indeed... the pc should boot from the bootable usb drive when requested to do so!

In order to try to use something as close as possible to what was installed/working on your friend's machine, are your USB boot drives also based on win10/win10pe?

Archived