Microsoft Confirms New Windows 10 Cumulative Update Issue, Recommends Full Reset

The AchieVer

The AchieVer

Microsoft Confirms New Windows 10 Cumulative Update Issue, Recommends Full Reset

The most recent cumulative updates for Windows 10 October 2018 Update, or version 1809, come with a newly-acknowledged bug that could break down language packs.

The most recent cumulative updates for Windows 10 October 2018 Update, or version 1809, come with a newly-acknowledged bug that could break down language packs.

According to official information published by Microsoft itself earlier this week, the issue only affects Asian language packs.

The official KB pages of the affected cumulative updates state the following:

“After installing KB4493509, devices with some Asian language packs installed may receive the error, ‘0x800f0982 – PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND.’”

Even though Microsoft claims the issue exists in Windows 10 cumulative update KB4493509, which was published on April 9, the same bug is also part of the other two updates for Windows 10 version 1809 that were released in early May.

The full list of cumulative updates that come with the language pack glitch is the following:

April 9, 2019—KB4493509 (OS Build 17763.437)
May 1, 2019—KB4501835 (OS Build 17763.439)
May 3, 2019—KB4495667 (OS Build 17763.475)Full reset recommendedAccording to Microsoft’s own workarounds, users should try to uninstall and then reinstall the language packs on their devices, as this could help prevent the issue.

However, the software giant also says that if this doesn’t work, you should reset your PC completely.

In the meantime, Microsoft claims it’s working on a full fix and promises to include an update in an upcoming release.

The next cumulative updates for Windows 10, including for the October update, are projected to land on May 14 when Microsoft begins this month’s Patch Tuesday rollout.

While the recommendations above could help resolve the language pack issue, I think that resetting the PC just to fix an issue introduced by a cumulative update is definitely not the most convenient workaround. If reinstalling the language pack doesn’t repair the bug, you should just uninstall the cumulative update completely and wait for Microsoft to ship a fix.

• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The AchieVer said:

“After installing KB4493509, devices with some Asian language packs installed may receive the error, ‘0x800f0982 – PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND.’”

Even though Microsoft claims the issue exists in Windows 10 cumulative update KB4493509, which was published on April 9, the same bug is also part of the other two updates for Windows 10 version 1809 that were released in early May.

The full list of cumulative updates that come with the language pack glitch is the following:

April 9, 2019—KB4493509 (OS Build 17763.437)
May 1, 2019—KB4501835 (OS Build 17763.439)
May 3, 2019—KB4495667 (OS Build 17763.475)Full reset recommendedAccording to Microsoft’s own workarounds, users should try to uninstall and then reinstall the language packs on their devices, as this could help prevent the issue.

These updates were pushed by Microsoft in my computer even if I'm not using any "Asian language". (Does this include Klingon, Quenya, Sindarin, Rohirric, Khuzdûl, or Black Speech?) So, presume they shouldn't harm my current funcionality and won't remove them, I prefer not to continue messing up my system and expect the full fix, "trusting" their promises to include an update in an upcoming release...

🤦‍♂️

kantry123

Updates were installed in mine too..although I’m not using any Asian Language, Windows is working fine till now and having no issues so far. So won’t bother to uninstalling the updates..

at this point Microsoft should carefully bake 1903 uodate to avoid silly mistakes they’re doing that eventually forces you to reset the PC. Which is ridiculous

BimBamSmash

Updating operating systems these days is like trying to find a way to cross a canyon in the dead of a night without a map or light, where staying put and leaving things for daylight time gives you the risk of wildlife coming after ye for dinner. Decisions, decisions.

Windows 10 1809 Language Pack Issue, Microsoft recommends Reset of PC

The three most recent cumulative updates for Windows 10 version 1809, KB4495667, KB4501835 and KB4493509 were not exactly bug free. Windows 10 version 1809 is affected by several issues currently, and Microsoft just added a new issue to the list.

The issue originated in KB4493509 according to the known issues listing on the official support page. The update was released on April 9, 2019 as part of April's Patch Tuesday. It appears that Microsoft did not resolve the issue in the two updates that followed for Windows 10 version 1809 so that KB4495667  and KB4501835 are affected as well.

windows 10 1809 bug asian languages

The issue affects systems with "some" Asian language packs installed.

After installing KB4493509, devices with some Asian language packs installed may receive the error, "0x800f0982 - PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND."

Microsoft notes that systems affected by the issue "may" receive the error "0x800f0982 - PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND". Pretty vague, especially since Microsoft did not even provide a list of language packs with that issue.

Microsoft lists two mitigation options:

1. Uninstall and reinstall the language pack that were recently added to the system.
  2. Check for Updates to install the "April 2019 Cumulative Update".

The second suggestion is puzzling. Considering that updates are cumulative and that April or May updates are already installed on the system, it is unclear why Windows Update would push an earlier update to the system (again).

Microsoft suggests, under the second option, that users should reset their PC if reinstalling the language pack does not resolve the issue.

If reinstalling the language pack does not mitigate the issue, reset your PC as follows:

1. Go to the Settings app > Recovery.
  2. Select Get Started under the Reset this PC recovery option.
  3. Select Keep my Files.

It is unclear why Microsoft does not suggest to uninstall the affected updates to resolve the issue. Could it be that the issue persists when that is tried?

Microsoft notes that it is working on a resolution for the issue and that it will include it in future updates.

Closing Words

The documentation leaves lot to be desired: it does not list language packs that are known to cause the issue, does not reveal how the error manifests itself, and makes a suggestion -- to check for updates to install an earlier cumulative update -- that makes little sense.

I'd try the language pack deinstallation and installation first, then the removal of updates affected by this. Depending on how serious the issue is, you might consider resetting the PC as a last resort unless you have a backup that you can restore.

If you have not installed the latest cumulative updates yet and have Asian language packs installed, you may want to wait with the installation just a bit longer (until the issue is resolved).

As far as Windows 10 version 1809 is concerned, could this become the buggiest version of Windows ever?

Source: Windows 10 1809 Language Pack Issue, Microsoft recommends Reset of PC (gHacks - Martin Brinkmann)

Archived