• Defraggler
    • O&O Defrag Professional
    • Total Defrag
    • Puran Defrag
    • Auslogics Disk Defrag
    • MyDefrag
    • UltraDefrag
    • Smart Defrag

I use Diskeeper Lite 7.0.418 for the HDD in general and PageDefrag (Copyright © 1998-2000 Mark Russinovich, SysInternals - www.sysinternals.com) for the Registry Hive and paging file system. Do it at least twice a week, depending how many programs I install and uninstall,etc. and my sys keeps running like a dream (when I first got it :D ).

The Windows Defrag used to take upto 6 hours when I was first using it, I know the more often you do it the quiker it is, but it used to be such a chore and now it takes ~6mins.

• Replies 137
  • Views 44k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use Diskeeper Lite 7.0.418 for the HDD in general and PageDefrag (Copyright © 1998-2000 Mark Russinovich, SysInternals - www.sysinternals.com) for the Registry Hive and paging file system. Do it at least twice a week, depending how many programs I install and uninstall,etc. and my sys keeps running like a dream (when I first got it :D ).

The Windows Defrag used to take upto 6 hours when I was first using it, I know the more often you do it the quiker it is, but it used to be such a chore and now it takes ~6mins.

you mean windows defrag took 6 mins at first and now 6 hours right? why thats because you got a lot more crap on your computer. please running other stuff while defragging doesnt help either.

btw what win version you using and any service packs? and the seize of your harddrive.

I use diskeeper...have 3 hard drives... two 80 gigs and a 20 gig on a usb stand alone box so i can take big files with me.....

masterripper

well i KNOW that diskeeper is the best, i have tried every single defrag app out there, literally, and diskeeper is THE best, it usally takes about an hour to defrag when you first install it, now it takes about 10 mins at the most. thats just my 2 cents.

O&O Defrag.

Works silently in the background and never have a trouble with it

SacredCultivator

O&O for me.. I was starting to feel left out with all those DisKeeper Users ><

you mean windows defrag took 6 mins at first and now 6 hours right? why thats because you got a lot more crap on your computer. please running other stuff while defragging doesnt help either.

btw what win version you using and any service packs? and the seize of your harddrive.

Honestly didn't do a defrag until put all the crap on first and yea then took 6 hours, did again 2 weeks later another 6 hours, became very much a CHORE. I never do other stuff while defragging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats why it was such a pain in the arse, no sys for 6 hours!

XP SP2 80Gb. But like I implied Windows Defrag sux and @ langa.com he discusses the benefits of 3rd party defrags (more time efficient, needs less "free HDD space", apparently Windows needs at least 15% of HDD free to shuffle and move files around to do the job whereas 3rd party can do the job using a lot less resources and quicker! If you don't believe go to langa.com and check it out! and Finally I know that Windows uses Diskeeper as its onboard defrag app but it is ver. 6 and a barebones app at best when you can source v.7.0.xxx for free and it craps all over the Windows ver!!! :D

From what I hear, Windows actually just uses a very shitty version of Diskeeper for their OS.

From what I'm told, Diskeeper actually developed the Windows defrag tool for them.

I personally use O&O Defrag. I switched because I felt like it had more options and was much easier to use.

Raxco PerfectDisk is another excellent defrag tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried O&O Defrag edition. didnt like it. It ran silently and all but it took FOREVER!

Until I get around to installing my diskkeeper again I will be using the Standard one :)

DISKEEPER IS THE WINDOWS XP DEFRAG!!!!

READ THE LICENSING!!!!

No need to use ALL Caps or shout. 99% in this forum can read English

DISKEEPER IS THE WINDOWS XP DEFRAG!!!!

READ THE LICENSING!!!!

Indeed it is but it is a barebones ver.6.xxx whereas v.7.xx has a newer engine and is a lot more efficient, keep using the XP version if you want but most software that comes with any OS is barebones and below average at best that is why it is so much better to use any 3rd party app!!!!

Ive never heard of that.

Do you have some screens?

Don't have screen shots but if you download Diskeeper Lite v.7.xxx you will find that it overwrites the XP version and becomes the system defrag app, try it out.

Guest Lingering

I used Diskpeer, O&O in past.

As far as I'm concerned Perfect Disk is the better space-clusters-system files optimizator.

Bold Eagle

For any interested I used O&O Defrag Freeware Edition v3.5 and it took greater than an hour. I had completed a defrag 2 days ago using Diskeeper Lite (took 6 minutes). I did another defrag ~2days later once again ~6minutes using Diskeeper Lite.

O&O Defrag Freeware Edition v3.5 > 1 Hour

Diskeeper Lite v7.xx >6minutes

Try it for your selves.

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect Disk is the best for offline defrag and O&O is the best for normal defrag. Using both. And diskeeper...well diskeeper doesn´t work for me (even the professional/premier version 10). B)

Guest BruceRoy

I also use O&O Defrag Pro version 6, and as Unbekannt, I tried Diskeeper 10 under 30 free trial. After two weeks, I did a defrag with Diskeeper and after with O&O Defrag which found 72 files not defrag. :P :( :)

• 1 year later...

I use to use Diskeeper 10 and that had a few new scheduling and running in the back features but I came to an end of the license so had a look round at others. Eventually settled on O&O 10. I like the more advanced defrag methods for hopefully improving access speeds and reducing further defragmentation. I think its a true x64 defrag too but not certain of that.

I did try Jkdefrag but wasn't foe me and I found Ultimate defrag just took forever and only seemed to be mess up the drive over and over.

Archived