Cleaner recommendation for android phone?!?!

mp68terr

Saw some topics about phone cleaners on this forum (ccleaner, avast cleanup, all-In-One Toolbox, etc...) with the specs always copied/pasted from the store (=always good).

Would like to know about phone cleaners in the real life, what would you recommend, what are you using to eliminate junk/apk traces from your android phone?

Thanks!

• Administrator

A lot of such apps for Android are crap. I prefer to do a lot of those things manually.

First, get this. Read each and every settings carefully. Get it's pro version if you want. Select the apps running in the background which you do not want. Enable aggressive doze.

Second step is, go into installed apps in settings of Android. There, go through all the apps, either uninstall or disable all the apps you do not want. For example, I have no use for certain Google apps which come pre-installed, so I disable some of them.

Third is, get this app. I do not know if it's available in your country, but if it's available, get it. Run it, look at all the suggestion it makes for removing duplicate files, unused files, big files. Carefully check things and remove things which you do not want.

Fourth is, if your phone is rooted, uninstall the OS apps from it. For that you can try the first or third option mentioned here. I have heard this is good too but it's not updated from some time I think.

• Like 2

All you will need (rooted or not) you'll find it @SD Maid Pro 🤓

I use SD Maid and all-In-One Toolbox on a rooted phone..

1. I use ES File Explorer Pro (or similar file manager) to back up rarely used apps to apk.. then copy the backups to a networked laptop using the said .apps

2. I use root uninstaller  to back up unused system and 3rd party apps to apk and transfer the apks to  a networked laptop using the said .apps

3. In the case of citical system apps it is best to freeze them using root uninstaller rather than uninstalling them and causing havoc to the OS.

4. If you want to backup settings use titanium backup root to save both app program and data states...

5 hours ago, DKT27 said:

A lot of such apps for Android are crap.

Thought so too, that's why I asked ;-)

Thanks for the comments/recommendations that came so far.

My old phone is rooted, is using a custom lineageOS rom and I tried to remove the main useless apps (including google play and the like).

depends what you are trying to use your phone with?

I'm assuming you want BASIC call and text functionality.. No installs or updates from the play store.. Not sure if you want no GAPPS on your phone

Yes, basic functionality. Phone, messaging/texting, browser and a bit of car navigation. No games, no TV/streaming.

(Good that) the playstore is not the only source for apps, and apkgrabber checks for updates, no gmail account... so useless google apps have been removed.

As for the GAPPS, got the pico version; did not try without GAPPS.

After trying some apps and deleting them I would like to clean the phone for stuff that (likely) remains.

• Administrator
On 5/5/2019 at 9:41 AM, mp68terr said:

Thought so too, that's why I asked 😉

Thanks for the comments/recommendations that came so far.

My old phone is rooted, is using a custom lineageOS rom and I tried to remove the main useless apps (including google play and the like).

Removal of such needs to be done right at the installation I think.