Black bars

Betts1964

When I download a movie and view it, sometimes there are block bars at the top of the movie and bottom of it. Is there a way to change / convert it so they are no longer there? If yes, how  can I do it?

thx

• Replies 7
  • Views 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to a black bar once.  Great music!

1 hour ago, Betts1964 said:

When I download a movie and view it, sometimes there are block bars at the top of the movie and bottom of it. Is there a way to change / convert it so they are no longer there? If yes, how  can I do it?

thx

it depends on what your talking  about are you talking about actual  black bars were the encoder is to lazy to crop them   then its best to get from another encode group that's not lazy or potplayer can remove them with messing with some settings . but anything that is not 16:9 want ever fell the whole screen and are meant to look the way it is because that's the way they are at the  theater in there  original AR   if they been cropped they  never look good if you change the AR  to16:9 because that is stretching the video and butchering aspect ratios, only time  I  mess with it if it's 4:3 witch don't fell up sides of the movie i cant stand it so  i just zoom it to 16:9  some people says it's not good to mess with 4:3  but i don't  have  a 4:3 monitor   and don't fell like changing the display on my computer so i just zoom it.  Only time  changing aspect ratio works right is if someone who don't know how to encode butchered the AR by stretching it   and changing it back to it's original AR.(The way it's meant to look)

https://www.vlchelp.com/fix-stretched-video-in-vlc-by-changing-aspect-ratio/

Also I know  how to change it with  mkvtoolnix and i also know how to encode .

You can also use the TV remote control for the ratio.

There are also Open Matte versions for some movies.

Archived