Law enforcement taps Google's Sensorvault for location data, report says

The AchieVer

The AchieVer

Law enforcement taps Google's Sensorvault for location data, report says

The database is for targeting ads and seeing how effective they are. But it's reportedly also been a treasure trove for police.

Google Maps, Mobile App can be seen on a mobile phone.
Nasir Kachroo/Getty Images

When law enforcement investigations get cold, there's a source authorities can turn to for location data that could produce new leads: Google.

Police have used information from the search giant's Sensorvault database to aid in criminal cases across the country, according to a report Saturday by The New York Times. The database has detailed location records from hundreds of millions of phones around the world, the report said. It's meant to collect information on the users of Google's products so the company can better target them with ads, and see how effective those ads are. 

• Replies 1
  • Views 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who would believe that so many people carry personal locators voluntarily.  Literally billions.  And if you voluntarily provide that data to Google, or anyone else, then why shouldn't law enforcement have it also.  It isn't as if the data was stolen or encrypted, you are providing it voluntarily.  You could opt out and not use a cell phone.  Landlines weren't such a bad idea looking back.  They were about 1000 times more secure than a cell phone.  My favorite thing to do when out in public is just to stop and stare at phone users and listen to their conversation.  If I get a dirty look or comment I just remind them they are having it in a public place and I have every right to listen to it if I want.  

Archived