formated harddrives

myidisbb

this is a 250 gb harddrive thats is internal eide but not the windows OS C:drive one. looking at using this one for games.

what do you all use for the settings?

primary, extended paritions or logical drive?

would you break it in half and if so make both primary or just one as it?

enable life and folder compression?

• Replies 4
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would use the fastest drive with the highest capacity as the primary HDD which will house my OS.. WinXP

If it is 250 GB ...

I would divide it as 75Gb primary (WinXP)

75Gb + 100 Gb extended (Storage)

2nd HDD for recovery.. create a Image of the OS on C:\ on the HDD

Easy and super fast recovery

I would use the fastest drive with the highest capacity as the primary HDD which will house my OS.. WinXP

If it is 250 GB ...

I would divide it as 75Gb primary (WinXP)

75Gb + 100 Gb extended (Storage)

2nd HDD for recovery.. create a Image of the OS on C:\ on the HDD

Easy and super fast recovery

on my computer i have a 120 gb sata that is c:. i have a free sata slot. i have 2 250 gb eide harddrive. i just undid the 3 pariations on one of them and made it a whle 250 gb in size. each harddrive you can make prim and extend and that logical drive that.

that stuff always confussing. the one harddrive use to have 3 partiations that was all prim. on the other 250 gb i have 1 prim and 2 extended.

also does enable life and folder compression? make a difference or really matter in the end?

this 250 gb is giong to be my game harddrive so i can fee up the space on my c:

on my computer i have a 120 gb sata that is c:. i have a free sata slot. i have 2 250 gb eide harddrive. i just undid the 3 pariations on one of them and made it a whle 250 gb in size. each harddrive you can make prim and extend and that logical drive that.

that stuff always confussing. the one harddrive use to have 3 partiations that was all prim. on the other 250 gb i have 1 prim and 2 extended.

also does enable life and folder compression? make a difference or really matter in the end?

One cannot have more than 1 primary on a HDD

1 Primary and the rest is extended...the extended can then have multiple logical drives( d:\, e:\, .... z:\)

Prefer not doing folder compression.. as uncompressing the folders will result in poor performance..

U dont need any compression with such huge HDDs

Use ur 120Gb HDD for game as SATA(150Mbps for SATA1, 300Mbps for SATA2) has better data xfer rate wen compared to EIDE (133Mbps max)

One cannot have more than 1 primary on a HDD

1 Primary and the rest is extended...the extended can then have multiple logical drives( d:\, e:\, .... z:\)

Prefer not doing folder compression.. as uncompressing the folders will result in poor performance..

U dont need any compression with such huge HDDs

Use ur 120Gb HDD for game as SATA(150Mbps for SATA1, 300Mbps for SATA2) has better data xfer rate wen compared to EIDE (133Mbps max)

windows xp computer managemanet

no it says "a primary partition is a volume you create using free space on a basic disk. windows and other operation systems can start from a primary partition. you can creat up to four primary partitions or three primary partitions and an extended partition."

you can partition a harddrive 4 times only with windows xp tools. 3 primary and 1 extended. an extended can then be use to make multi logical drives.

anyway i went with the whole thing as primary. and no file/folder compression. installed oblivion on the G: drive ;)

Archived