Microsoft Quietly Includes Chromium Microsoft Edge in Latest Windows 10 Build

The AchieVer

The AchieVer

Microsoft Quietly Includes Chromium Microsoft Edge in Latest Windows 10 Build 

An unofficial build of the Chromium-powered Microsoft Edge browser is already available for download, and while everyone’s waiting for Microsoft to publicly ship a testing version of the browser, it looks like the company could be trying a different approach.

An unofficial build of the Chromium-powered Microsoft Edge browser is already available for download, and while everyone’s waiting for Microsoft to publicly ship a testing version of the browser, it looks like the company could be trying a different approach.

A report from German site Deskmodder reveals that Microsoft has quietly included the Chromium version of Microsoft Edge in the latest preview build of Windows 10 for Skip Ahead insiders.

This is Windows 10 build 18865, which is part of the 20H1 update scheduled to be released to production devices in the spring of 2020.

According to the cited source, not all users are getting the Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, as Microsoft is just conducted a very limited experiment. This means there’s a big chance you won’t be getting it for the time being until Microsoft makes it available for everyone in the Insider program.

By the looks of things, the new Edge is only available in Windows Sandbox, and it’s available at the following location:

C:\Users\WDAGUtilityAccount\AppData \Local\MicrosoftEdge

In other words, the Chromium-based Microsoft Edge doesn’t replace the existing version of the browser, and a shortcut wasn’t even created, so you have to dig in deeper in the operating system to find it.

While the folder mentioned above does exist on my instance of Windows 10 build 18865, the new Edge isn’t stored there, so I can’t confirm the report is accurate for the time being. However, given it’s said to be a very limited test, there’s also a slight chance only a small number of users are getting the browser.

No matter if the report is real or not, you can still try out the new Microsoft Edge version using the download link in the first paragraph. Just keep in mind that it’s still an experimental build and not everything might work as expected.

• Replies 1
  • Views 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can confirm that I have the same folder but there is nothing in it either. Who knows what they are doing, lol.

Archived