Windows 10 October 2018 Update Slowly Becoming Microsoft’s First Windows 10 Flop

The AchieVer

The AchieVer

Windows 10 October 2018 Update Slowly Becoming Microsoft’s First Windows 10 Flop 

Microsoft is getting ready to roll out Windows 10 April 2019 Update (version 1903), but in the meantime, the company has a hard time convincing users to install the latest stable release.

Microsoft is getting ready to roll out Windows 10 April 2019 Update (version 1903), but in the meantime, the company has a hard time convincing users to install the latest stable release.

Windows 10 October 2018 Update, or version 1809, was published in early October and pulled only a few days later due to a critical bug potentially causing data removal. The October update was then re-released in November, again with several known issues.

The number of bugs in this update is taking its toll right now, as the adoption of Windows 10 version 1809 remains incredibly low even so many months after its launch.

Data provided by AdDuplex shows that Windows 10 version 1809 currently runs on just 26.4 percent of the Windows 10 devices, while the nearly one-year-old April 2018 Update remains number one with 66.3 percent.The struggleThe October update recorded an increase of just 5 percent from the previous month, and it is currently the slowest adopted version of Windows 10 released so far.

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which was released in the fall of 2017, runs on 3.5 percent of the Windows 10 devices, while 0.4 percent of the systems are currently on 19H1 preview builds.

There’s a good chance that many users might actually skip the October 2018 Update altogether when the next feature update goes live next month, so their devices would switch directly from the April 2018 Update to the April 2019 Update.

Such a prospect should undoubtedly be concerning for Microsoft, especially as the company put a lot of effort into the development of the October 2018 Update. But on the other hand, this slow adoption is the result of the company’s very own mistakes, as the bug fixing process advanced painfully slow.

It remains to be seen if the October 2018 Update adoption improves in the coming months, but as things are right now, there’s a good chance many would just skip it and go straight to version 1903.

• Replies 2
  • Views 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1809 is such a mess. I Formatted the system and did a clean install with that, since I thought all issues might have got resolved at this point and for the last 1 week I had to struggle with Wifi disconnection issues. Only managed to fix it after following several troubleshooting and driver setting changes and what not. Pew, It's working ok right now. I'm hoping for any updates to come through at this point to fix everything.

Yes, 1809 is a mess, i have several drives that keep changing letters (so shortcuts) are wrong (annoying as hell), several webpages do not, some  will not refresh,  so yes, i can work around, but annoying as hell,  delay on outlook is like 12 to 13 s to start/open, desktop/taskbar icons some time disappear until restart. just a blank space, but i know what it is suppose to be and it works. MS spends more time at party's, than fixing, bragging how good the CRAP is.

Archived