external IDE HDD is dead/dying?

d3v

This old IDE drive I dug out to replace my recently dead WD MyBook has kicked the bucket on me earlier today.

When powered on, it spins up but not without beeps and loud clicking noises. But is does spin up fine.

One or two drive recovery programs from Hirens DOS disk do recognise it, one of these programs reported a bad block at the beggining of the drive, but does not let me fix it.

It's connected to my laptop via a IDE/SATA to USB adapter.

Fucking wish my desktop was still alive so I could test it internally in slave mode.

Everything is going wrong for me technology wise. What a laod of shit this stuff is. 7 years of books, videos, music, software, game mods, game saves (not like I have use for these anyway since my £800 desktop suddenly decided to die on me) and documents gone with the MyBook now this shit happens to me. What pieces of shit these manufacturers are for not making their rip off priced stuff robust enough even for careful people like myself.

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi mate.

oh yes I am very aware that there are those places that will charge you an arm and a leg to recover data. Out of the question. Capitalism is a bitch.

You said "programs" can solve my problem.... which program do you speak of? sounds promising!

When digging myself out of problems like this, I always use several programs.

1. Partition Table Doctor
  2. NTFSDOS Pro
  3. Active@ UNDELETE
  4. Recover My Files
  5. Recuva

When digging myself out of problems like this, I always use several programs.

1. Partition Table Doctor
  2. NTFSDOS Pro
  3. Active@ UNDELETE
  4. Recover My Files
  5. Recuva

partition table doctor in windows mode managed to recognize but couldn't do a damm thing about it due to I/O errors. Here's a screen shot.

90973442.gif

thanks for suggestion dude.

Bad to hear your problems.. I had the same thing happen to a 10 year old drive..actually 13 years old now.. and I tried every major tool available .. there was no repair that I could do about the two bad sectors/blocks.. that were on the disk..Died while trying to give birth/reformat to/ and install a Linux Ubuntu OS.. so if your bootables won't repair it .. it may just be time to replace it..Usually age and read/write cycles to a drive sort of determine the overall life of the drives..Thats why I do just about everything I can to reduce that..right down to my habits when accessing data.. but yeah its never a happy experience..and you should be able to pull your data off of the drive long before it completely fails or gets any worse.. so hang on to it.. unless you've wiped o killed it..

:)

Been reading some comments on eBuyer regarding Freecoms "Tough"Drives as I am considering buying one to replace the two little bastards that died on me.

review by: Dr. Nasir Hameed

The drive stopped working within 3 months of its purchase suddenly after a clicking sound and I lost lots of valuable data. I did NOT even dropped it.

The whole reason i bought it was because it was supposed to be tough and had 2 years warranty.

and...

I dropped mine from my pocket and it stopped working, losing lots of valuable data.

The whole reason i bought it was because it is supposed to survive being dropped.

... what a fucking disgrace. Seems you can't trust any of these useless bastards to manufacture something that will last a decent length of time for a reasonable price.

I presume the LaCie "Rugged" equivilent will not be without such comments from it's buyers.

For fucks sake....

Well its true.. unless you sell your soul, you get stuck with a useless piece of $#!^... Trust me I know..soul intact.. If I ever had the chance to sign in blood.. LOL

I think I will buy a Freecom or a LaCie simply becuase there's nothing else I've come across that is as rugged enough to be packed away and tabbed with.

Thing is I will vow to religiously create a backup to a static external harddrive that stays on my desk at home and NEVER moves. A backup of a backup :blink:

That should minimize risk.

Thing is I will vow to religiously create a backup to a static external harddrive that stays on my desk at home and NEVER moves. A backup of a backup :blink:

That should minimize risk.

Sounds good. But you still need an offsite backup plan just in case something happens around your computer (fire, flood, lightning strike, etc).

it's a good idea but arn't USB flash drives mega expensive when they reach the 30gb+ threshold?

After reading yet more complaints about the Freecom and LaCie rugged drives I think what I might do now is buy a 3.5" internal SATA drive, test the living hell out of it with Spinrite and various harddrive testing tools then if it holds up good I'll buy a decent fan-cooled caddy to house it in.

What do you guys think?

Archived