Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EADS

myidisbb

just got my thermaltake blacx duet that stuppor 2 2TB sata1 & 2 HDs. Sata 3 should work in it but i dont believe i will get the most out of the HD and they are still pretty new. ei Barracuda XT 2TB 7200RPM SATA Model ST32000641AS. $300+ but $250 in CAD on a-power.com for you canadains.

so im looking at Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EADS. $200 each

pcworld like the WD HD

My link

(can admin or mod fix the insert link box? its half way pass the left side of the screen. unable to drag it)

need some quick thoughts on this and any other HD you think be better. i am planning on buying 4 of them for my 2 blacx duets so i can do things while deployed to IN for 4 months usisng a laptop.

• Replies 12
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes but i have learn you cant trust a review. sites tend to say nice things so companies will keep sending free stuff

DONT buy the Barracuda XT.... its a pice of S*** :angry: Review

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green VS Black Review

Western Digital 2TB Caviar BLACK its the fastest.

Green=5400rpm

Black=7200rpm

^_^

DONT buy the Barracuda XT.... its a pice of S*** :angry: Review

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green VS Black Review

Western Digital 2TB Caviar BLACK its the fastest.

Green=5400rpm

Black=7200rpm

^_^

what that review failed to take into account is that the green 2TB is 32 MB buffer and the black one is 64MB. that can make a difference.

the green they dont really have a speed since they are using IntelliPower which has different speeds base on power usage. its meant to be green. if i can find the black at a reasonable price then maybe.

its close in the same price range. black costing $100 more then the green. lets see 4 HDs for $800 bs $1200. hmmm and considering they are giong to be on blacx duet docking stations using usb 2.0. im still loooking at the green.

now if it was to be a new desktop that also has sata3 in it then xt or black. if just sata2 then black voer xt. only looking at 430 differences between the two. i am planing on a new desktop next year. my avg been every 6 years. 91 386, 96 p2, 03 p4, 07 laptop. this doesnt count all the ones i found place on the curb on the base housing area since 99. i figure i pickup over 100. some of them even p4s. just never really had time to deal with them all. too much space taken up so they went mostly bye bye. greatest secret to gettign anything free is a base house area for the military.

thank you for your thought there. i still figure i got until monday to order them. would like other peoples thougths on this subject.

myidisbb: If only use the USB in the dock, the GREEN its perfect for you.

You can use the eSATA for faster transfers in the dock :dance2:

myidisbb: If only use the USB in the dock, the GREEN its perfect for you.

You can use the eSATA for faster transfers in the dock :dance2:

problem with the eSata in the dock is that it only does one HD unless one has a multi port version of it. besides my hp laptop doesnt seem to have eSata port anyway. i went with blacx duet docking station for the 4 TB ability each and the cost. i like to make my money goes as far as possible. when i do my desktop next year i will look at the latest toys then :P

giong to use each HD for a seperate subject and drive. one for anime, movie (tv shows also), data (games) and the fourth one havent figure if its going to be the newsleecher database and download drop site (or just keep the single blacx port one im using as it still and do something else with the fourth HD)

i have4 usb ports on the laptop. one being for the mouse.

Dont keep de dock tuned ON very long times...

I have this one:

main.jpg

And its very hot. :(

This happened to a guy :

n172000557_35672152_8024.jpg

:o

i been using thermaltake blacx one for a year. no heat problem with it nor the harddrive getting hot. they all support 2 tb but the boxes inthe store say 1 tb. talk to them and they said it would cost $500,000 to replace the boxes with 2 tb informatin like the website says. i did notice they changed the duet information ont he web site to say 2tb per bay. that was one of my questions to them. seems they realize the vague information wasnt clear. though if they was smart they would stick a sticker on the boxes saying supports 2tb now.

i think the HD and dock stays cool because their versin doesnt inclose half the HD like the one in your picture. just a 1/4 of it. i am using a 1 TB seagate 7200 confirm good firmware one in my dock

some informatin i found on the nexstar dock. though i think they fixed the problem. looks like they flooded google with links saying there isnt a heat problem in the design.

There are two serious mechanical problems with this enclosure. Vantec NexStar SX NST-285U2-BK is strongly recommended as a replacement ($19 on Amazon the last time I checked). The latter is really excellent Vantec product...

First of all two front screws that hold plastic cap with electrical circuitry on it are really too short and taking into account that the holes have one side sliced open in no way they cannot hold the plastic cover securely. You can use tape to fix that or find longer screws so this is a fixable problem, but its pretty annoying oversight of the designers. IMHO screws should be at least 1/3 longer: that would give them more chances to fix the cover properly. They also might benefit from slightly larger diameter.

The second problem is that the drive is not mechanically fixed in the enclosure: it just connected electically: All of the circuitry is attached to one of the plastic cap and at the end has a connector that snaps right into the hard drive.

This might lead to hard drive errors if for some reason this connection become loose or some conductor breaks due to mechanical stress. The electrical connection of hard drive is not designed to hold the drive mechanically. I think such design is simply dangerous if the enclosure is used while travelling. It's probably OK if the drive will sit at home connected to docking station. It also makes heat dissipation a problem and can lead to overheating.

update

went with Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EADS for $189 from PC Connections. i should orderd them monday instead of today. hopefully i get them before next tuesday. this weekend its update the programs on the laptop for my 4 month tcs. plus get skidrows cod mwc2. its supplosely got no stream crap left in it.

thank you all for your opinions and such. with cross fingers these 4 HDs will have no problems.

update.

released the HDs. what kind of tests should i run on them? western digital has the data lifeguard diagnostics file. i am diong a quick test on it. 5 minutes my azz.

doing ntfs.

released the HDs. what kind of tests should i run on them? western digital has the data lifeguard diagnostics file. i am diong a quick test on it. 5 minutes my azz.

You might as well try "chkdsk /f X:" (where X: is your WD 2TB drive letter) since CHKDSK comes free with Windows.

Do you have HD Tune Pro? I like to use it to test the performance of my drives. It also has an Error Scan function.

i was not initially happy when i noticed i had bought green drives, since they were slower, but they're also more silent..

also, according to some test they're not much slower.. but blue drives were supposed to be the same price, if not cheaper.. :frusty:

anyhow, for storage, it's all good..

I'd love to get an SSD to rly get some speed, but they're freakin' expensive and low capacity till now. :fear:

• 6 months later...

I got one of those WD 2 TB drives (the older EADS version) at Costco for $129. It came in the WD My Book external USB 2.0 drive enclosure. I broke it out of the enclosure to use in my Thermaltake Blackx hd dock. The green drive is very fast (and also very quiet) using the esata connection that my HP laptop has. I really like the combo of the esata HD Dock and the Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB drive. And $129 is not a bad price. I use it for backups and set an alarm that goes off 5 minutes before my scheduled backup starts so I can turn the dock on just before the backup starts and then turn it off when it's finished 10 minutes or so later.

Archived