Report: 2019 will be the year Microsoft updates File Explorer with the new Fluent Design

The AchieVer

The AchieVer

Report: 2019 will be the year Microsoft updates File Explorer with the new Fluent Design

File-Explorer-1.jpg

Microsoft announced Fluent Design System a couple of years back and since then the company has been working hard to incorporate it. We have seen Microsoft adding Fluent Design to most of the Windows 10 OS as well as the first party Microsoft apps.

However, one big aspect of Windows 10 has been missing the Fluent Design which is the File Manager. Microsoft did a major overhaul to the File Manager with Windows Vista and was improved with Windows 7. Post that, Microsoft has made small changes but never did a complete overall.

It looks like 2019 might be the year Microsoft finally updates the File Explorer with the new Fluent Design. A new report suggests that we might be able to see the new File Manager with 20H1 which is scheduled to arrive next year. The update will apparently also increase integration with Microsoft’s various services and may herald the return of Sets.

That said, we don’t have to wait till next year to see it as Microsoft is expected to seed the updates to Windows Insiders with the new changes later this year.

File-Explorer-2.jpg

For now, we don’t have any idea on how the File Manager will look like but concept design created by Michael West shows what we can expect. We do hope Microsoft updates the File Manager soon and judging from the concept images, it’s safe to say that the File Manager will look great with Windows 10’s dark mode.

Source

• Replies 2
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those concept images looks really nice.
It does projects the future of operating system apps looking more like browsers rather than some thing they used to be, Progressing to an always online design world it seems. Looking good any way. :)

Changes to regular, day to day pieces of software are refreshing.

On 3/24/2019 at 6:51 AM, Screen said:

Those concept images looks really nice.
It does projects the future of operating system apps looking more like browsers rather than some thing they used to be, Progressing to an always online design world it seems. Looking good any way. :)

Changes to regular, day to day pieces of software are refreshing.

I am personally gonna have to disagree here as I don't see the point to this. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

To me, this actually looks worse.

What's more, I don't think a future where an operating system forces you to be always-online to use it is a good one. Especially because connections are never perfect and 100% stable and does tend to dip out from time to time. Likesay in bad weather or power outages, for example.

I am not surprised that I generally prefer Linux over Windows. But in truth, Windows is admittedly best for gaming (Which I do a LOT) and programs that only work in Windows, despite Linux's WINE, which doesn't always work.

But for anything not gaming or windows-only, I pretty much use Linux.

Tl;Dr: I think the current design is actually fine and there is no need to redesign it and fix what isn't broken and already looks nice enough. If they MUST go through with it (Which they apparently will), why not simply make it optional instead? Let the user decide or at least have the ability to revert to the old one.

Archived