IE Messed Up

Samurai

Alrighty, I was downloading some updates for XP earlier today and instead of asking the usual "Do you wish to open or save this file?" it's opening .exe files, and .zip's without asking me. I don't know if I've clicked "don't ask me again" or something but I'd like it changed back :nono:

Obviously I don't want to run software I download immediately and I'm sure there's a setting to change it back but I can't find it.

Anyone know where I can find this option? :P

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you have to do that under the file extension manager in WINDOWS explorer :P

Tools > Folder Options > File Types (tab)

just go to the file extention, highlight it, click the advanced button, and check "confirm open after download" :nono:

i can't seem to find EXE listed on mine, but IE might set it since it changed it on you :P

It wasn't that :P

I just tried a .zip file and it opened it straight away.

:P *cough*thatswhyyoushouldusefirefox*cough* But I know there are some IE only sites :nono:

Well I use Firefox 95% of the time but yea this was one of those IE only sites...

In any case nsane was right. I had to go into the advanced tab, which for some reason was disabled the first time around, and it was named 'Restore'.

Working fine now :P

• 4 weeks later...

If you need to view an IE compatible site I would recommend getting Maxthon aka (IE2). You can check it out at www.maxthon.com. It is a lot more secure but is built on IE so you shouldn't have any bad time viewing the website. Its actually a great browser and its a good challenger to firefox.

• Administrator

Maxthon (and ALL IE "shells") are open to the same holes as IE (aswell as more....).

Alrighty, I was downloading some updates for XP earlier today and instead of asking the usual "Do you wish to open or save this file?" it's opening .exe files, and .zip's without asking me. I don't know if I've clicked "don't ask me again" or something but I'd like it changed back :rolleyes:

Obviously I don't want to run software I download immediately and I'm sure there's a setting to change it back but I can't find it.

Anyone know where I can find this option? :blink:

Thanks in advance.

you did get it from the real windows site right?

i have my update set to just tell me if there is something to download and install. i then go to the actually site and d/l and its install then.

check the actually update file in add/remove programs section and delete it.

Archived