Video Card Drivers

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Dear Readers,

I was wondering when installing new Drivers for the Video Card is it a must to uninstlal the Current/past versions?

Because I read elsewhere and everyone usualyl says to be sure to use DriverCleaner to uninstlal anything related to the video card so I wanted to be sure. As right now I just upgrade without uninstalling.

Also if it is recommended to use DriverCleaner can anyone give me a run through as to how to properly use that program?

Thanks

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Its best if you do uninstall, but you can install over the top.

To use driver cleaner "properly":

Install driver cleaner

Uninstall drivers normally

Restart comp

Press cancel when windows tries to install the drivers for your device

Run DC

Restart comp

Install new drivers

BTW, DC doesn't have profiles for every driver set. Make sure it does for your device before wasting your time.

Ahh....I have the same trouble in the last 2 months. My comp suddenly hang while I was browsing or when I try run a program, happen randomly. and then I screen turn to 8 bits and only black and white colour.

I tried to uninstall the driver and reinstall but the same problem occur....really annoying

SacredCultivator

Otay thanks, and from the other forusm they say for ATI video cards it is best to uninstlal with DC but if I have Nvidia(Which I do) it is otay to just install over the current version.. Is this true?

• Administrator

Its always best to uninstall and then install a fresh. No matter what it is your installing.

SacredCultivator

Alrights thank you,

and jsut to make sure to uninstall the drivers just go to Right Click>Properties>Adaptor>Uninsall?

• Administrator

Graphics card drivers usually come with other stuff too: Control panels etc . Try add/remove programs first, if not then uninstall the way you mentioned

SacredCultivator

Cause for me... when I see in Add/Remove is it Nvidia Drivers (And it is like everything my Audio/Chipset/etc.)

Ahh....I have the same trouble in the last 2 months. My comp suddenly hang while I was browsing or when I try run a program, happen randomly. and then I screen turn to 8 bits and only black and white colour.

I tried to uninstall the driver and reinstall but the same problem occur....really annoying

thats not good. have you install some harddrive like ram lately? my computer uses pc3200 ddr400 and i gotten some 1gb chips of that versin but they where not friendly on my system. had the 8 bit graphics of death.

normaly i only get the shitty graphics when i uninstall and reboot before installing the new drivers. i dont see why they cant make them so that you install the newest drivers adn it auto uninstalls the older ones and reboots at the same time.

but really something not right on your system.

SacredCultivator

Well did uninstallation of my drivers and tried out the drivers provided by tweakrus so hope that helps me even though ir eally do not know the changes but doens' matter.

thats not good. have you install some harddrive like ram lately? my computer uses pc3200 ddr400 and i gotten some 1gb chips of that versin but they where not friendly on my system. had the 8 bit graphics of death.

normaly i only get the shitty graphics when i uninstall and reboot before installing the new drivers. i dont see why they cant make them so that you install the newest drivers adn it auto uninstalls the older ones and reboots at the same time.

but really something not right on your system.

I just unpluged, did some cleaning a bit and plugin it back the video card. The same thing happen, just less frequently.

I didn't install new ram lately, only have new external HD. I tried to find new driver and the result was even worse...blank screen :)

I just unpluged, did some cleaning a bit and plugin it back the video card. The same thing happen, just less frequently.

I didn't install new ram lately, only have new external HD. I tried to find new driver and the result was even worse...blank screen :)

what windows xp version you using? amount of ram, and is your motherboard and bios setup for alrger harddrives. whats the two harddrives and your graphics card name

what windows xp version you using? amount of ram, and is your motherboard and bios setup for alrger harddrives. whats the two harddrives and your graphics card name

bb,

I'm using XP home (with the latest update), 768 RAM, ATI Radeon 9000, ST3600 (internal) and Seagate ST3250 with USB 2.0 device (external).

I don't know about my motherboard and bios setup...totally noob 'bout this.

edit - I can't use my comp at home at the moment it just hang when I started, even when startup program is not finished. I can only access nsane via campus or friends comp....oh it's sucks

thank's b4 bb

bb,

I'm using XP home (with the latest update), 768 RAM, ATI Radeon 9000, ST3600 (internal) and Seagate ST3250 with USB 2.0 device (external).

I don't know about my motherboard and bios setup...totally noob 'bout this.

edit - I can't use my comp at home at the moment it just hang when I started, even when startup program is not finished. I can only access nsane via campus or friends comp....oh it's sucks

thank's b4 bb

not even safe mode? im taking you mean windows xp home sp2 right?

I still can log in Safe Mode...yes Win XP home SP2

sp2 fixest the 2 harddrive problems with sp1. and you didnt have a1gb ram so that sp2 fix not a problem.

if you can do safe mode then im guessing you have done last good god restore? (what ever its called at F screen for picking what you want to do.

is your external harddrive a inclose one? or is it an internal harddrive in an external casing? internal ones used usually need the jumper moved. usually extrenal harddrive are firewire or usb2.0 your computer using usb 2.0 or old 1.1? my computer you had to go into bios and turn 2.0 on.

btw you still have this problem right if you disconnect the external harddrive? restore back a few months or windows xp repair with external harddrive disconnected

SacredCultivator

Just for future reference if I have WinXP Pro how do I access Safe moe becuase i tried both F1/F8 and those don't work =/

Just for future reference if I have WinXP Pro how do I access Safe moe becuase i tried both F1/F8 and those don't work =/

when you turn your computer on you click on F8 multi times. if you get the windows screen with the blue moving bar you got pass and going into windows xp normal.

usually F1 F2 or del takes you into your bios.

SacredCultivator

Oh Del is BIOS for me.. hmm got ot test out the F8 again next time.

Archived