Windows can't install Canon camera drivers

manpe

Hello.

Today, when I wanted to start comfortably loading my vacation pics to the computer, I found out that something has changed within the week. My Windows 7 can't install/use my Canon PowerShot A510 in any way. It was working fine before (a week ago as far as I know, on W7).

Before, under Device Manager, it said nicely "canon powershot a510", but now it says "MTP USB Device". When I connect my digital camera to the USB, it starts installing the drivers for MTP usb device, and then says that it failed. When I check under device manager what is the problem, it reads:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

After seeing that it mentions registry problems, I immediatelty restored my old registry (which dates back to 10th October, when I think it worked). Then I noticed that Windows Media Player was uncofingured for some reason, so I configured WMP... so it shouldn't be WMP's fault either.

I tried reinstalling the MTP USB Device driver through device manager several times, but it doesn't help. Canon's webpage doesn't contain any specific drivers for it also: they say that it's not needed.

Any ideas?

• Replies 17
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Faq.. can't link to these articles..

Try resetting your camera and reinstall the drivers..

Or, you could delete the driver thru device panel.. and then reboot.. Windows 7 may download the right drivers :)

The Faq.. can't link to these articles..

Try resetting your camera and reinstall the drivers..

Or, you could delete the driver thru device panel.. and then reboot.. Windows 7 may download the right drivers :)

Oh the horror... you have no idea how many times I've tried this basic little method. :( Windows 7 is the one applying this driver all the time (well, it actually doesn't apply it... because as you know, it can't).

• Administrator

He would never reset it. :yes:

ANW I don't have any ideas about cam connected to the PC. So can you see/open your Cam in my computer?

You know what I think you should try this tool called TestDisk, it may help you if you wanna get the data/pics back.

ANW I don't have any ideas about cam connected to the PC. So can you see/open your Cam in my computer?

You know what I think you should try this tool called TestDisk, it may help you if you wanna get the data/pics back.

Formatting/resetting the camera is out of the question. And something tells me that doing this wouldn't help a least bit. And no, I can't see the cam in my computer. I can see it in "printers and other devices", but there it just says that it's not working.

• Administrator

It might mean the same, in My computer or printers and other devices.

Use the tool. It's DOS based. My friend was able to get his data back, I hope you remember.

And this tool is specialized in gettin the data back. After you get it, you can reset it. ;)

Formatting/resetting the camera is out of the question. And something tells me that doing this wouldn't help a least bit. And no, I can't see the cam in my computer. I can see it in "printers and other devices", but there it just says that it's not working.

Resetting is not the same as format, if you reset the camera it won't delete any of the pics. Remove the card then reset it if you feel paranoid.

I think I know what you did wrong, check the camera settings for USB port, you probably moved it from regular setting to pict bridge or printer or some other wrong thing.

@DKT - I tried to use it, it only gives me to select my 2 hard disks. It doesn't recognize the camera at all.

@fl0ppy... - Your suggested tool is the same, it gives me a selection of my 2 hard disks, not the camera.

@Leet - I couldn't find a setting in the menu which remotely says what you told me. No USB settings. And I haven't changed the cam settings since... ever. They are the same as they were when it still worked.

It is probably a Windows error because I could load the pictures some days ago into another computer on Vista.

• Administrator

You are right, you should search registry.

ANW tell me is you Cam like Plug and Play?

You are right, you should search registry.

ANW tell me is you Cam like Plug and Play?

What should I search in the registry?

My camera connects through a wire directly to USB. Yes, I think it is PnP.

Get one of those cheap USB memory card adaptors/readers and use it to load your pics.

Today it started working randomly. I have no idea why... I messed around a little bit in the registry, deleted one entry (smth called UpperFilter) in a key which I don't remember.

Then at one point I booted Windows with "Last Known Good Configuration", which supposedly boots with the same registry settings as the last succesful boot. But Microsoft is Microsoft... it completely corrupted my system - I couldn't use my mouse or anything. Couldn't install video drivers also. For the first time in my life, I came to know about the usefulness of System Recovery... a very handy thing indeed ;) I will never disable it, contrary to popular suggestions to disable it. I got my system back up and running again, although I believe the camera was still not working even after going through all this hassle and almost rendering my system useless...

Well, now it is... strange ways this Windows has. But the ending is good, all is good ;)

What I learned:

* Randomness DOES exist in Windows

* System Recovery should be in the list of "10 most succesful M$ products"

* "Last Good Configuration" isn't really THAT good

* My cat likes to lick his ballacks when looking at a pic of sir Gates

• Administrator
* System Recovery should be in the list of "10 most succesful M$ products"

OK. OK. It may work for you, but it's not tttthhhhaaaaaattt good. Or maybe they have improved it in Windows 7. :think:

Everthin in windows has it's good and bad side.

In System Recovery, you have mentioned it's good sides. If you don't wanna see it's bad side - you should have some good space on your HDD, defragment your drive every week, remove the System restore points every 15days. And most important, stay away from the big viruses that can hide/copy themselves in System Recovery .

BTW you have a cat. :blink:

Forgot to mention. Congrats. :D

I'm aware of the downsides of the recovery also, the points you have mentioned... It's still better to have enabled if you're a crackhead like me :fear: And you can never know what unpleasant surprises M$ can have in store for you :ph34r:

• Administrator

Well said. But I cannot afford the space it takes on my PC. :(

Plus after surfin the System Volume Information, the folder on every drive that has all the system restore data that it restores, I found that it was doin nothin but backin up the files that I shift + deleted, now I don't understand why did it backup the files that I didn't even like them go go in the recycle bin. Shift + Delete removes makes the files deleted fully from your PC and makes them unrecoverable.

Now when it was on I had a virus on my PC that the foolish AVG was not able to remove. But it only detected it. At that days I wasn't knowin about the great MBAM. So I found that the best way to remove that virus/trojan is to shift + delete it. And it happened as I mentioned, a small virus had made a permanent place in the System Volume Information folder, and was continuously infectin my PC.

That's not all, I saw that my drives were always fragmented even after defragmentation, then I found out that it was because of that lame System Volume Information folder. :angry:

In one way it was not useful at all, every time I tried to restore by it, it gave me that senceless errors that it was unable to restore my PC from the previous state after wastin my time for 15mins.

That is why I disabled it completely.

Just a tip, if you use Ultimate Defrag, make 100% sure that you put all the System Volume Information folders in the custom lists of Archives.

Well said. But I cannot afford the space it takes on my PC. :(

Plus after surfin the System Volume Information, the folder on every drive that has all the system restore data that it restores, I found that it was doin nothin but backin up the files that I shift + deleted, now I don't understand why did it backup the files that I didn't even like them go go in the recycle bin. Shift + Delete removes makes the files deleted fully from your PC and makes them unrecoverable.

Now when it was on I had a virus on my PC that the foolish AVG was not able to remove. But it only detected it. At that days I wasn't knowin about the great MBAM. So I found that the best way to remove that virus/trojan is to shift + delete it. And it happened as I mentioned, a small virus had made a permanent place in the System Volume Information folder, and was continuously infectin my PC.

That's not all, I saw that my drives were always fragmented even after defragmentation, then I found out that it was because of that lame System Volume Information folder. :angry:

In one way it was not useful at all, every time I tried to restore by it, it gave me that senceless errors that it was unable to restore my PC from the previous state after wastin my time for 15mins.

That is why I disabled it completely.

Just a tip, if you use Ultimate Defrag, make 100% sure that you put all the System Volume Information folders in the custom lists of Archives.

Maybe it has been improved in Vista / 7 ? I also had a virus in the System Volume Information back in the XP days, ESET detected it but didn't remove it. Only disabling and clearing the restore data solved the problem. My post was made out of emotion... it was the first time (I think) I had to use System Restore, and it was very fast (mere minutes) and succesful. It completely eliminated all the problems I was facing. If I hadn't had it enabled, I would be facing a reinstall of Windows.

I had only one restore point, which was made after installing the Canon utilities. So I was hugely lucky to have installed the useless progs, which created a restore point. At least some good came out of them.

It has a good cause, but everything good requires an equal amount of bad... just to balance things out.

• Administrator

Again, well said. And yes they must have improved it in Windows 7.

Glad that it helped you. ^_^

Archived