DirectX 11 Comes To Vista

Bolt_Gundam510

Bolt_Gundam510

by Justin Kerr

Microsoft launched Windows 7 with full DirectX 11 support, but until now, Vista users running ATI’s newest 5000 series cards were left out in the cold. Its not like you’ve been waiting months to play the newest DX11 titles, but at least you now have the comfort of knowing that you don’t need to upgrade your OS in order to take advantage of your new GPU.

DirectX 11 isn’t a massive leap forward over the DirectX 10.1 found in Vista SP2, and in fact, is actually a superset implemented using WDDM (Windows Display Drive Model). Windows XP users will need to continue making do with DirectX 9 because it is not compatible with WDDM, and Microsoft has been pretty clear that this isn’t likely to change anytime soon.

The platform update KB971644 should be delivered to Vista users automatically via Windows update. Now all you need is an Radeon 5870. DirectX 11 support in Vista seems as good a reason as any don’t you think?

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what needs to be made now is a hack to make win xp be allowed to install dx 10 & 11. there is no reason for it not to be allowed especial after vista bombed

Thanks for the link. Now I am reading this report : Windows 7 Review: XP vs Vista vs 7 in 80+ Benchmarks

• Administrator

@myidisbb: In one way I think it's not possible, but on the other side it can be possible if someone takes interest in doin so.

@myidisbb: In one way I think it's not possible, but on the other side it can be possible if someone takes interest in doin so.

im thinking a loader to install the software one downloads from somewhere. loader have to bypass the installing dx 10 & 11 OS checking. i think it would be pretty easy compare to all the people that worked to make este better for us users. if someone or a group would do that it would keep win xp alive for ever and piss ms off some more. just like wmp 8 hack to make you able to make mp3 files without paying for the addon

• Administrator

Will it work even after bypass? I don't think so. It may need some big tweaks to make it work on XP. I know this because I searched whole google on how to install DX 10 or 11 on my XP some months ago.

Will it work even after bypass? I don't think so. It may need some big tweaks to make it work on XP. I know this because I searched whole google on how to install DX 10 or 11 on my XP some months ago.

it would have to do some reg tweaking.

one problem would run into afterwards is that some games check which OS you are using too and will not install if requirements not meant. so it would have to tweak it to say its vista or 7 while being still xp sp3

• Administrator

It will need more than just a reg tweak. It will need additional files(lot of them). ANW it's just a guess.

About that second paragraph, you are right, and as you know, XP doesn't have Vista or a Windows 7 mode. :lol:

• Administrator

Indeed. :thumbsup:

Now I'm just waitin for someone to try to make/tweak for DX 10-11 to work on XP. ;)

Archived