Best Solution ..Hard Drive Imaging

HX1

Okay.. I am wondering.. I always rely on being able to use tools to get into my drive and get my files out.. I have made various backups of most of my files for programs..So I haven't used much of this software except for a few... I have quite a wide range of options.. and the reason I am doing this...

I am about to upgrade my personal system.. from XP SP3.. to Vista Ultimate.. then to 7 Ultimate.. ( 1.7 GHz Celeron, 2 GB RAM, 64 MB Video { DirectX 6 } ) ..Thing is I have a factory disk for XP SP3.. which restores it back precisely as XP..and if something should go wrong.. I would not want to loose program modifications or anything else of the like... So I would like to make an exact copy of what I have now..( 36.7 GB - This is only program necessities and programs and OS, no media or anything ) So that I won't loose anything and should it go wrong I can slap the factory disk in and re-install.. then lay an image over it.. basically a clone.. without needlessly doing all of the installs and work I have done that would take me forever to g through and harvest.. and/or refix..( Bluhh )

Is there a recommended method to doing this.. recommended software ( I have one that runs over $3,000.00 so don't be shy in that area. ).. Do you recommend a fresh install instead.. ( I have ran the Upgrade advisor ).. Is this going to work? Viable question..LOL..

Anyway your input would be very much appreciated.. :thumbsup:

Thanks..

EDIT: Removed 'One last look.. screenshot..' ( May put it back up I dunno )

• Replies 12
  • Views 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay.. I am wondering.. I always rely on being able to use tools to get into my drive and get my files out.. I have made various backups of most of my files for programs..So I haven't used much of this software except for a few... I have quite a wide range of options.. and the reason I am doing this...

I am about to upgrade my personal system.. from XP SP3.. to Vista Ultimate.. then to 7 Ultimate.. ( 1.7 GHz Celeron, 2 GB RAM, 64 MB Video { DirectX 6 } ) ..Thing is I have a factory disk for XP SP3.. which restores it back precisely as XP..and if something should go wrong.. I would not want to loose program modifications or anything else of the like... So I would like to make an exact copy of what I have now..( 36.7 GB - This is only program necessities and programs and OS, no media or anything ) So that I won't loose anything and should it go wrong I can slap the factory disk in and re-install.. then lay an image over it.. basically a clone.. without needlessly doing all of the installs and work I have done that would take me forever to g through and harvest.. and/or refix..( Bluhh )

Is there a recommended method to doing this.. recommended software ( I have one that runs over $3,000.00 so don't be shy in that area. ).. Do you recommend a fresh install instead.. ( I have ran the Upgrade advisor ).. Is this going to work? Viable question..LOL..

Anyway your input would be very much appreciated.. :thumbsup:

Thanks...

Hi Heath,

At the risk of starting a pissing contest, I can't help but ask why you want to do that (is it for the Vista/7 'eye-candy')???

Imho on your PC hardware Win7 will never perform nearly as well as WinXP (Vista would even be worse)!

That said, over the past few years I have used Drive Snapshot to create backup images of my WinXP system drive to an external USB drive. On several occaisions I have used those images to completely restore my system drive (for one reason or another). DS has always performed flawlessly - without exception! It makes perfect backup images of indivdual partitions or a complete hard drive (note that it's not intended for file-backups). Besides being extremely reliable, it is a very small and portable program (unlike most others of its kind)...

fresh is always better. but frankly, i would keep your computer as win xp sp3. nt 6 (vista) & 7 are not going to improve your system. you have old hardware parts. buy a cheap new computer and install it to 7 Ultimate then.

Acronis True Image work pretty well, to backup some files, or an entire hardrive.

It have save me many times the work to reinstall XP, after some bad windows updates, or programs problems after uninstall.

With it, you can do a full partition image, and add the change to it, from time to time (incremental.

So...

install Acronis true image.

make a "rescrue" dvd. (so you can use the program if XP fail to boot)

make a full image of the partition XP and your program are.

in option, choose to cut the image in 4.7 gigs parts if you want to burn them, and you can adjust the compression ratio in option too.

i suggest you also tick, in option, to check the image after creating it (to be sure it's ok)

Save the image on another hardrive or partition, or on dvds.

To restore the partition, boot from the rescue disk, and restore it via your image.

In a few minutes, this will restore your pc the way it was...at the moment you made the image.

Acronis True Image work pretty well, to backup some files, or an entire hardrive.

It have save me many times the work to reinstall XP, after some bad windows updates, or programs problems after uninstall.

With it, you can do a full partition image, and add the change to it, from time to time (incremental.

So...

install Acronis true image.

make a "rescrue" dvd. (so you can use the program if XP fail to boot)

make a full image of the partition XP and your program are.

in option, choose to cut the image in 4.7 gigs parts if you want to burn them, and you can adjust the compression ratio in option too.

i suggest you also tick, in option, to check the image after creating it (to be sure it's ok)

Save the image on another hardrive or partition, or on dvds.

To restore the partition, boot from the rescue disk, and restore it via your image.

In a few minutes, this will restore your pc the way it was...at the moment you made the image.

Acronis TrueImage is the best backup and restore software available. I create an image of my hard drive every week and I had to restore them a few times without any problems, of coarse it is best to have an external hard drive to store your images on. I use Maxtor OneTouch4 Plus (cost-efficient) to save all of my images, it is much better than having to do a complete re-install of Windows, several hours of Windows Updates and reboots, then re-installing all of your programs and personal documents.

There is no need to have to do a complete re-install when you use Acronis TrueImage.

Thanks. ;)

The performance hype is so untrue. I installed Win7 on a laptop with pentium M 1.6Ghz and 512MB ram, it runs fine. To me it seems even faster and more responsive than the default XP that was there. Do the normal performance tweaks and Win7 will work on those specs just fine. I don't see why you want to upgrade twice though, Win7 is fully capable of upgrading from an XP installation, AFAIK.

Well addresing the to Vista then to 7.. thing.. I was told by the upgrade advisor that I would not be able to upgrade.. and I believe this is because of the fact I am OEM.. ( pricing or something? ).. anyway it stated that I would need to do a fresh install.. so to clear up anyones questions about that point .. there you go...

About performance.. I installed 7 Ultimate on a ( your going to love this ).. ( HP 360n )..failing 80 GB HD, 512MB RAM, 1.6 GHz Athlon, with a 32 MB MOBO video chip .. I also have installed, on the same system,; on a second HD ( same thing ). Vista Ultimate..and 7 without any changes.. or optimization.. ran faster than Vista tweaked to best of my experience.. and running O&O Clever Cache Pro...( people usually can't believe I am running Vista like that )..The only thing I did was turn off the UAC/Action Center or w/e the hell its called this version for 7.. So I know my system with 4 times more RAM.. and twice the video ( which still half the recommended ) should out perform that..I won't have Aero.. and I will not be able to showboat the OS.. but I will also not be living in obsolete world.. within the next year.. as I really cannot afford to even buy a cheap system right now.. and the way things are looking for me not in quite a while..so I thought that maybe 7 would be that answer.. Plus I like the way it looks and feels.. maybe even better that Vista..but I mod everything anyway.. reference my current shot now.. below..( had this posted earlier 1280 x 800 screenshot.. of a few things I have done.. didn't show all of my stuff .. but was more of a general idea of what I enjoy about my system now...The icons are shown just show what explorer looks like..

I removed the attachment for space

The thing is that now even running ESS.. and everything I have lightening fast reaction times with XP, I use shortcut keys and I use everything from Media Creation software to Digital Creation software.. Native Instruments to SONY to Adobe.. ( If I was a professional I would be a little more than a triple threat..LOL.. to some degree ).. and I run several servers for personal use...The real thing that bothers me is wondering if I will loose video capability when upgrading..that part does.. because I lost it n the other one until I made some small alterations.. and finally I could get a better image..smoother.. so on ..My computer replaces about 5-10 major home appliances right now.. and to loose some of that wouldn't really be a good thing...

And truthfully its the same reason that I never upgraded to Vista though everyone was pushing me to do it..I honestly agree with the statement that my system is last generation...and I do know why the 'pissing contest' concern is stated.. There is a HUGE difference between the efficiency of 7 and Vista on the same hardware.. however on different hardware.. with other concerns .. Like mine the situation is different to consider..Usually causes a lot of type .. and discussion and winds up being one of those things you wish you hadn't have started.. one of the reason I found out more by just doing it.. than looking for the information.. after hours of reading.. I was glad to have the junk laying around to put Vista on for that reason..LOL..

I appreciate the input about the Video to upgrade from XP I will look into it! See what happens..

Do any of you use R-Drive Image, Genie-Soft Backup and Timeline..and FarStone Drive Clone/Server.. those I already have.. not installed ATM.. ( cause I have no need ) .. but I will be adding your suggestions as well.. but in this addition should I get rid of those? IYHO..LOL

Well it looks as though I must do a clean install.. re-install all of my programs.. and everything..even if I install Vista Ultimate and move to 7 Ultimate.. I still may have issues present in Vista carried over.. So I guess that answers part of the question. I was under the impression that I could upgrade from Vista to 7.. the way you can with XP to Vista..guess not..I also downloaded the free utility mentioned in the video for disk imaging. ( Macrium Reflect - Free ) Now the only problem is that I have only one external... or it will take about 10 DVD's..LOL

Here is a copy of the Upgrade Advisor.. Identified my System as XP Pro.. which it isn't.. which was odd.. and found 7 issues nothing major one update seems a little strange ( Dreamweaver ) but..the rest doesn't look that bad...Just hoping all of my other toys are ready for it too.. like some of the stuff that isn't showing up in the registry.. so on..One thing I didn't think about either was the Bit/Drive Encryption that comes with Ultimate versions.. reformat will be inevitable too..

If I were you, I would upscale my system from XP ----> Windows 7 but leave Vista out of it.

XP ----> Windows 7 could be undertaken in more ways than one. However, 2 wise options would be to either do a fresh install or go in for a dual boot. Either option should be preceded by a good disk snapshot. My preferred backup tool is 'Acronis True Image Home' - an important step here after having done the backup is to actually try to start a restore with whatever backup tool one has chosen to use (just to ensure that the snapshot is not corrupt.)

Good luck ;)

Thanks.. yeah.. dual booting would really be nice but my HD is 60 GB..and I have less than 19 GB left..so not a whole lot to grow on.. plus I don't think that my reinstall disk for XP will allow me to dual partition the hard drive..and I don't want to have to reboot into another OS to use a program..I mean I could do it with the disks I have.. but I don't think I could squeeze the same functionality into both OSes in that space..I guess its time for me to get the Ski-mask and go find some new hardware..LOL.. what I would have to do right now...not a lot of change jingling around here..

I think I actually outgrew this computer before it was purchased and it was actually purchased for someone who really did not have any real need for it.. so even then it was really not a whole lot..but thats something that someone who actually uses a computer would know about.. so.. anyway..it was something I don't think the individuals involved understood at the time.. and still don't..( probably never will ).

Now its my problem.. which should not have been to begin with..

Thanks for the luckshot..:thumbsup:

• Administrator

Heath, did you saw the video. If you see it again, you will see that a software has been mention but not described, it's a paid software, it may help you, it's called PCMover, it's paid but I hope you can get a torrent for it. ;)

Archived