Windows Defender Antivirus

DLord

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 few months ago, I've been using Windows Defender Antivirus without any problem.  I have tried different security products in the past and was always skeptical of trusting MS security products.  Obviously Windows Defender Antivirus has got much better in recent years but still falls behind major players.  That makes me wonder how necessary it is to move to a well known and major security product?  Is it really needed?

Just keep in mind that I have computer related education and I feel confident that most of the time I practice safe web surfing and downloading.

• Replies 31
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, DLord said:

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 few months ago, I've been using Windows Defender Antivirus without any problem.  I have tried different security products in the past and was always skeptical of trusting MS security products.  Obviously Windows Defender Antivirus has got much better in recent years but still falls behind major players.  That makes me wonder how necessary it is to move to a well known and major security product?  Is it really needed?

Just keep in mind that I have computer related education and I feel confident that most of the time I practice safe web surfing and downloading.

I Would Suggest you to Have A Good Antivirus Program Like Bitdefender Or Kaspersky, Last Week By Mistake I Downloaded A Patch for Revo Uninstaller  Containing  Win32/Neshta Virus From This Forum. Which Corrupted All Program on My PC & I Had to Do A Clean Installation 😪. Windows Defender Is Good But Not The Best.

1 hour ago, -DeLtA said:

I Would Suggest you to Have A Good Antivirus Program Like Bitdefender Or Kaspersky, Last Week By Mistake I Downloaded A Patch for Revo Uninstaller  Containing  Win32/Neshta Virus From This Forum. Which Corrupted All Program on My PC & I Had to Do A Clean Installation 😪. Windows Defender Is Good But Not The Best.

Were you using Windows Defender?  Was is updated, up and running?

1 minute ago, DLord said:

Were you using Windows Defender?  Was is updated, up and running?

Yes I Was Using Windows Defender & It Was On, Don't Know If It Was Updated or Not, Win32/Neshta Virus  Was So Powerfull That After My PC Got Infected. Antivirus Programs Were Detecting Each Other As Viruses. & I Had Two Operating System Windows 7, Windows 10.  Even Other Operating System Was Infected Without Even Running That Patch On it. Now I Use Windows 10 With Elementary OS (linux).

Always Use A Good Antivirus Program, If you Don't Prefer to Use Any Security Software other than Windows Defender, Than Take Regular Backup Of your Important Data to an External Drive. :)

Wow, thanx for the info and sorry for your ordeal.

Just one question, you mentioned "antivirus programs were detecting each other".  Does that mean that you were running two antivirus progs at the same time?

By the way, base on the following page on MS site, windows Defender is supposed to detect and remove Win32/Neshta:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/malware-encyclopedia-description?Name=Virus:Win32/Neshta.A

Yes I had Kaspersky . But I never Thought that Someone Will Put Such Virus Inside A Patch. So For Testing I Switched Off Kaspersky. Considering It Can Detect Patch As False Positive & will Delete Before Running it. 

windows Defender is supposed to detect and remove Win32/Neshta

May Be Patch Has Somehow Hidden That Virus From Windows Defender Untill It Got Executed, Good Security Programs Will Detect The Threat Before They Can Even Get Downloaded. 

16 minutes ago, DLord said:

Does that mean that you were running two antivirus progs at the same time?

After My PC Got Infected I Tried Several Security Softwares From AVG, Kaspersky, etc.

This Win32/Neshta  Does Some Registry Edits & Launch It Self Whenever an .exe file gets Executed That's Why The Antivirus Software's Were Detecting Each Other As Viruses. 

15 minutes ago, -DeLtA said:

The Antivirus Software's Were Detecting Each Other As Viruses

That usually happens when using them at the same time.

Actually you Can Not Use Antivirus Program Such As Bitdefender Or Kaspersky at the same time. But With Windows Defender You Can Use Any Antivirus.

And The Tools That I Told you From AVG or Kaspersky. These Are Portable tool specially Made for Neshta Virus. & Antiviruses were Not Only Detecting  Other Security Tools For Neshta as Viruses. Even Opening A Windows Program (Ex. Taskmanager ) were getting detected as malware.

I tried windows defender for several months without any issues, running now Kaspersky free and it is very sufficient for my needs.

@DLordI was an Eset fanboy for years, but came to my senses.

Third-party AV's disable the kernel protection WinDefender provides against boot-viruses, rootkits, crypto's; then you're at the mercy of the AV coder's competence... or incompetence.  

WinDefender is all that's required, also light on resources, frequent updates.

Limit scanning to C:\ drive. Exclude downloads folder & folders/install directories with cracks. Set default action to no removal, and no reporting to MS-- + restore anything it quarantines.

Much like any good AV.

I personally disable Windows Defender after each clean install. However, on my brother's PC, I have Windows Defender paired with MBAM Pro with a key that I don't use. They actually play nice with each other. No issues whatsoever.

Windows Defender is enough. If you want extra security you can use OS Armor and Sys Hardener : http://www.novirusthanks.org

Just set it thoroughly up with gpedit and don't forget to activate the realtime scan to "on write only" so that you won't notice performance decrease every time you open something.

32 minutes ago, jabrwky said:

Third-party AV's disable the kernel protection WinDefender provides against boot-viruses, rootkits, crypto's; then you're at the mercy of the AV coder's competence... or incompetence.  

Limit scanning to C:\ drive. Exclude downloads folder & folders/install directories with cracks. Set default action to no removal, and no reporting to MS-- + restore anything it quarantines.

Much like any good AV.

My heart is always balancing between Windows Defender and its great native security features and SEP that comes with an IDS. It's the only free IDS I found since BlackICE got bought then cancelled by Intel, but I don't know how good does it work if you install it without the AV component.

@DLord Whatever you Decide Either to Keep Using Windows Defender, Or to Use Any Other Security Software.

Virustotal is their. Always Do Proper Scanning Before Running Any Patch Or Medicine On your System :)

Try Kaspersky or ESET it didn't disappoint. These two antivirus always reliable from my experienced, also mine resource has been upgraded till now stick with Kaspersky and never trusted WinDef.

7 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

Windows Defender is enough in Windows 10.

Despite the fact Windows Defender has been improved specially over these last 3 years, I won't be agree.

For which reason ? Never forgot those 3 things :

• At first, I will advice to always check the Windows Firewall. MicroSoft didn't learn and until today has never rectify this trouble... Because the people must (or just need to re)configure the rules (for example it's very easy with WFC). Otherwise it's a terrible bad point and even today, that's why the people could believe it's a crap for a wrong reason...
  • Indeed that's right, it was improved but did you read the test (about ransomware, Zero-Day Exploit, etc) ? To resume, the result is always the same : Windows Defender is defeat by almost any good antivirus (such as Emisoft, Kaspersky, Gdata, Eset, etc).
  • A lot of the people aren't aware about these facts

PS : I will give just a fews examples

14 hours ago, IBNHAGAR said:

I tried windows defender for several months without any issues, running now Kaspersky free and it is very sufficient for my needs.

What about firewall?  are you using any third party firewall?

14 hours ago, jabrwky said:

Much like any good AV.

That is exactly my argument for using Windows Defender for past few months.

13 hours ago, -DeLtA said:

@DLord Whatever you Decide Either to Keep Using Windows Defender, Or to Use Any Other Security Software.

Virustotal is their. Always Do Proper Scanning Before Running Any Patch Or Medicine On your System :)

Very good advise indeed.

Just to mention, Virustotal rejects connections from my country.  They refuse to help protect us!

@DLord Windows Firewall is excellent. If you need scanning from Virustotal, try Tor. I use AdVor with Privoxy. PM for config instructions.

17 hours ago, Ecarion said:

Despite the fact Windows Defender has been improved specially over these last 3 years, I won't be agree.

For which reason ? Never forgot those 3 things :

• At first, I will advice to always check the Windows Firewall. MicroSoft didn't learn and until today has never rectify this trouble... Because the people must (or just need to re)configure the rules (for example it's very easy with WFC). Otherwise it's a terrible bad point and even today, that's why the people could believe it's a crap for a wrong reason...
  • Indeed that's right, it was improved but did you read the test (about ransomware, Zero-Day Exploit, etc) ? To resume, the result is always the same : Windows Defender is defeat by almost any good antivirus (such as Emisoft, Kaspersky, Gdata, Eset, etc).
  • A lot of the people aren't aware about these facts

PS : I will give just a fews examples

We are speaking about anti virus not firewall. They are totally different.

---

All the links show that Windows Defender IS actually enough (except malwaretips because I didn't find the test). It's right tthat some other best it, but by how many ?

av-test :

Industry average : 99,4 %

Windows Defender : 99.3 %

MRG Effitas : Windows Defender score 95.44% and 99.7% the next day.

AV-Comparatives : 99.6%.

I would say that if you catch some of the 0.X% virus, you searched for it.

---

About zero day exploit, it's not AV's role to protect an OS from them.

---

What's the issue with the default Windows Firewall rules ? It let no open ports.

i have conflict with kaspersky and windows defender.But now i messed up settings so windows defender always stays off.Tried all fixes

Many thanks to all for your input.

Based on everything discussed I think I'm going to keep using Windows Defender for the time being.

Have to confess that so far I'm pretty much pleased with all aspects of it, mainly being native to the OS.

Cheers.

Archived