Stop attacks from ddos

Sonar

Ive googled around and theres tons of apps out there... but not familer with those side of things.

I'm sure some one here has more knowlegde then me :)

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't found software other than some really good firewalls which offer IDS.. and filtering .. but this is not and never will be a full solution to the problem as explain in the three links I posted...but these pages sort of explains some things that may help inform..and give you an idea of what you may need to do, why..so on. For the most part hardware is used to prevent these attacks...Mitigation is the best known method ...

http://www.tutorial5.com/content/view/80/79/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDoS#Distributed_attack

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5879/ps6264/ps5888/prod_white_paper0900aecd8011e927_ns615_Networking_Solutions_White_Paper.html

If you have a router (hardware) / firewall (software) and a little bit of common sense, you need not fear DDoS.

Although, I think it's highly unlikely for an ordinary individual to be targeted.

Otherwise the attacker might have lots of time and resources ^_^

AFAIK normally only websites get targeted because there's no real point in attacking one individual especially that (D)DoS require a lot of resources.

Regardless, I don't know a sure-fire method to protect yourself form it but a H/W firewall/router coupled with a decent S/W one (Outpost, Comodo, Online Armor...etc.) should certainly help if you're being targeted...or just good old paranoid :D

Also, I think a dynamic IP address will make it more difficult to be targeted, that is of course assuming you're an individual not a website (domain).

• Administrator

I'm sure you must have read all the useful info above. To add to that info, Comodo firewall has a customizable DoS protection and settings.

As Biz mentioned it's highly unlikely for an ordinary individual to be targeted. That's why you don't need worry a lot about it.

And yes dynamic IP addresses do make a bit hard for the attacker, but it may not make it that hard if the attacker has it's job done by infecting your PC by a infection before he starts DoSin.

I'm sure you must have read all the useful info above. To add to that info, Comodo firewall has a customizable DoS protection and settings.

As Biz mentioned it's highly unlikely for an ordinary individual to be targeted. That's why you don't need worry a lot about it.

And yes dynamic IP addresses do make a bit hard for the attacker, but it may not make it that hard if the attacker has it's job done by infecting your PC by a infection before he starts DoSin.

I'm not sure which one it is Dos or DDos - but which ever it is they can lag my internet...

I'm using comodo but don't know where these settings are lol...

I'm also behind a (linksys befsr41 v3.1 router) I dont think i have many options to play with..

being on Virgin Media its kinda hard with the IP's as its static :(

I have read through the sites provided but thats just hundreds off words lol (which basically says not much can be done)

• Administrator

You may go on the Wiki link or I must make it simple.

DoS = Denial Of Service. It's the DoS attack carried out by a individual.

DDoS = Distributed Denial Of Service. It's the DoS attack carried out by many people together. Sometimes the other people are just infected by a bot that carries out the DDoS attack on someone else. And sometimes, hackers together do a DoS attack. As a good website will have a DoS protection it is not possible to keep it down only with a DoS attack, so they DDoS it.

Comodo's DoS protection is enabled by default, but you shouldn't touch it's settings if you are not known to it. As any of the wrong DoS options done can make your PC unable to connect the internet.

Still if you wanna see where is it in Comodo, it's in Firewall tab > Advanced(on the left menu) > Attack Detection Settings. ;)

If your internet is not runnin fast there can be many reasons for it. It's highly unlikely of DoS attack done on your PC. Unless, you have some foes or you have catched someone's eye. :sneaky:

You may go on the Wiki link or I must make it simple.

DoS = Denial Of Service. It's the DoS attack carried out by a individual.

DDoS = Distributed Denial Of Service. It's the DoS attack carried out by many people together. Sometimes the other people are just infected by a bot that carries out the DDoS attack on someone else. And sometimes, hackers together do a DoS attack. As a good website will have a DoS protection it is not possible to keep it down only with a DoS attack, so they DDoS it.

Comodo's DoS protection is enabled by default, but you shouldn't touch it's settings if you are not known to it. As any of the wrong DoS options done can make your PC unable to connect the internet.

Still if you wanna see where is it in Comodo, it's in Firewall tab > Advanced(on the left menu) > Attack Detection Settings. ;)

If your internet is not runnin fast there can be many reasons for it. It's highly unlikely of DoS attack done on your PC. Unless, you have some foes or you have catched someone's eye. :sneaky:

Its just 1 person who is doing it lol *not a group*, Ive opend up comodo i see the settings (not touched anything).

Firewall tab > Advanced(on the left menu) > Attack Detection Settings.

intrusion..

Default all 20

Misc..

just the top box ticked.

if i could change anything in there what would be the suggested numbers to put in?

• Administrator

To be honest I don't have any idea about the settings that are mentioned there. I saw in a pic posted here, on forums, by Biz that he had ticked all the mics options, but that can itself make your internet slow. I think Biz can give us an idea about the options. :think:

Well I feel that if someone is DoSin you, you will see that your connection usage would be very high. You can check it out in Task Manager. This is just my guess.

The explanations are available in the COMODO Internet Security Guide ^_^

Just click What do these settings do?

• Administrator

Thanx. How could I forgot that. :think:

Archived