Refurbished vs Used

Jime234

Hello all,
refurbished branded system vs used CPU + cheap mobo + RAM
which would be a better option ?
The refurbished mini tower systems online, with i5 3470, around 15k/- INR.
Used stuff: according to a local shop, basically its :
i3 3rd Gen CPU (used) + Cheap new mobo (Zebronics) + 8GB DDR3 RAM = around 9k/- INR.

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New is always better. But budget made me selected refurnished if available.

So far my experience with refurnished items have been excellent.

Usully the items I had looking are not longer available to buy new.

depends on what you want to use it for

for children i have given refurbished to get them use it as they want so they are familiar with it

for own use , long time , new.

You should post more details about the refurbished system. Brand of the refurbished system, power supply, ...

I've never heard of "Zebronics" and I guess it's not that good. I'd go for a motherboard from Gigabyte, ASUS, ASRock, maybe MSI, etc. instead.

Maybe this link is helpful:

https://www.lifewire.com/tips-for-buying-refurbished-computers-940072

If you are going to buy a refurbished system it is better to buy it from the manufacturer, such as Dell, or from a retailer who is an authorized seller of refurbished OEM systems, such as HPs.  These systems will come with a warranty, in Dell's case 1-3 years.  I have always recommended Dell Refurbished systems to friends that don't want to spend much.  One lady bought a cheap laptop from the outlet store, under $400, and a month after she bought it it died.  She called Dell, they did some troubleshooting over the phone and the next day they sent a tech out to her house with a new motherboard.  She lives a 3 hour drive from the nearest large city, really lives out in the sticks, and that kind of service is hard to beat.

17 hours ago, Threepwood said:

You should post more details about the refurbished system. Brand of the refurbished system, power supply, ...

I've never heard of "Zebronics" and I guess it's not that good. I'd go for a motherboard from Gigabyte, ASUS, ASRock, maybe MSI, etc. instead.

Maybe this link is helpful:

https://www.lifewire.com/tips-for-buying-refurbished-computers-940072

Sir, 

The refurbished rig, I would prefer a Dell "mini tower" to be exact.

And Zebronics is an al chepo brand here in my region, I too believe its mobo would be no good.

(it started small here, mainly with PSUs a decade ago, and now it has all sorts of e stuff to offer from components to peripherals)

I am a fan of ASRock and Gigabyte, would it be good to buy a refurbished mobo ?

2 hours ago, straycat19 said:

If you are going to buy a system it is better to buy it from the , such as Dell, or from a retailer who is an authorized seller of refurbished OEM systems, such as HPs.  These systems will come with a warranty, in Dell's case 1-3 years.  I have always recommended Dell Refurbished systems to friends that don't want to spend much.  One lady bought a cheap laptop from the outlet store, under $400, and a month after she bought it it died.  She called Dell, they did some troubleshooting over the phone and the next day they sent a tech out to her house with a new motherboard.  She lives a 3 hour drive from the nearest large city, really lives out in the sticks, and that kind of service is hard to beat.

Sir,

I love Dell mini towers, but I'm afraid the  manufacturer refurbished website is not available for my region. : (

And I have experienced Dell service personally, hats off to Dell ! 

16 hours ago, Jime234 said:

Sir,

I love Dell mini towers, but I'm afraid the  manufacturer refurbished website is not available for my region. : (

And I have experienced Dell service personally, hats off to Dell ! 

Dell's battery are one of the worst-of-the-worst. Hats off to that. But yeah, Samsung and Alienware have been good to me :) 

9 hours ago, nsan3 said:

Dell's battery are one of the worst-of-the-worst. Hats off to that. But yeah, Samsung and Alienware have been good to me :) 

Well lol, we are not talking about laptop batteries here. And I believe Alien ware is actually a subsidiary of Dell.

Any ways, Dell is known to include some high quality PSUs in their desktops. So, Hats off to that.  : )

• 2 weeks later...

Anything from cosmetic imperfections to hardware level defects can be fixed and covered under refurbishment. Personally I wont go for any refurbished item, but if there is no other option then look for manufacturer refurbished items. Depending on the Brand you may also get some warranty on manufacturer refurbished items. 

• 2 weeks later...

Usually, refurbished goods have a shorter warranty. I have not come across refurbished items which are enough cheap to chose them over new goods with full warranty. Also, the risk that refurbished items break shortly after warranty has run out is higher. Think of planned obsolescence. Many tech items break just a few weeks after two years. That's just my general opinion. If a refurbished item is half the price, it's worth to consider buying it.

Archived