What would you go for?

AshTheGamer

Hello everyone, I was looking at buying a computer mainly for gaming (GTA IV) Type games.

Now I don't want to speed a lot for a super Hard core system.

PC 1:

Primo Predator" Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.66GHz @ 3.00GHz DDR2 System

Price: £329.99 inc VAT

Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.66GHz @ 3.00GHz

Processor Cooler Intel Approved CPU Cooler

Power Supply Corsair CX 400W ATX Power Supply

Memory Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX Dual Channel

Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM

Optical Drive LG GH22NS40 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L Intel G31 DDR2 Motherboard

Sound Card High Definition 7.1 OnBoard Sound Card

Warranty 1 Year Onsite Collect & Return Warranty

Case Coolermaster Elite 335

PC 2:

Dell XPS 430 = Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.5GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)

Price: £599.99

Components

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.5GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 - English (32 BIT)

Microsoft® Works 9 - English

1 year of coverage included with your PC

No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English

No Accidental Damage Support

Display Not Included

Hard Drive 500GB Serial ATA non Raid (7200 Rpm)

3072MB 1067 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [3x1024]

16X DVD+/-RW (Read/Write DVD, CD)

1GB NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT220 graphics card

Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)

Dell Laser Mouse USB (6 buttons scroll) Black

Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio

19-in-1 Media Card Reader

Accessories

No Speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)

Services & Software

DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year

Also Includes

English Documentation with UK/Irish Power Cord

D11X301

XPS Desktop 430 Order - UK

1 year of coverage included with your PC

Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic

Resource DVD - (Diagnostics & Drivers)

Now what would you go for? Would PC 1 be able to run GTA IV and other games smooth?

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

If you already have a okay PC. Buy a good graphics card. You would be able to play any GTA game(guess so). As my cousin doesn't have a fast PC or a great graphics card, but still he can play GTA IV without any problems.

• Administrator

Oh. I see. But I think you should go for i5. I know you will need some extra money for it, but I will feel that the Core 2 Duo will get old fast.

Both are nuked..

Build your own one with a good GPU card and if you want an i5. (around 150€ here)

if ur going for a Quad, go for the Q9550 2.83Ghz (12MB CACHE - 1333Mhz FSB) processor,because of the bigger cache size.the price difference is not so much.

I would recommend building ur own pc and not taking a pakage,if u get short of money,u can leave out things like the CD/DVD writer,and buy it latter,when u have cash,u can also reduce the amount of RAM or the hardrive cause u can always buy them later.And kick out the Vista,DataSafe Online Backup etc.u wont have to buy these things if ur building ur own pc instead of taking a pakage.

But dont compromise on the technology,take a processor that lasts longer,and the motherboard should be a tough one..experienced users suggest Asus.The difference between Quad Q9950 with a tough motherboard and i5 with motherboard is less,and i5 is much advanced tech wise

check out the AMD's Lohengrin suggested to me,when i asked,they offer gud prices.

Gud Luck

if ur going for a Quad, go for the Q9550 2.83Ghz (12MB CACHE - 1333Mhz FSB) processor,because of the bigger cache size.the price difference is not so much.

I would recommend building ur own pc and not taking a pakage,if u get short of money,u can leave out things like the CD/DVD writer,and buy it latter,when u have cash,u can also reduce the amount of RAM or the hardrive cause u can always buy them later.And kick out the Vista,DataSafe Online Backup etc.u wont have to buy these things if ur building ur own pc instead of taking a pakage.

But dont compromise on the technology,take a processor that lasts longer,and the motherboard should be a tough one..experienced users suggest Asus.The difference between Quad Q9950 with a tough motherboard and i5 with motherboard is less,and i5 is much advanced tech wise

check out the AMD's Lohengrin suggested to me,when i asked,they offer gud prices.

Gud Luck

Core2Quad? *sighs* that's by far THE worst choice you can make, and for the last time just because a CPU has a large cache it does NOT necessarily mean it's better than the alternatives.

Anybody who wanna upgrade or buy a new PC, do NOT buy Intel unless you gonna get i5/i7, anything less is a waste of money, and you can quote me on that!

Anybody who wanna upgrade or buy a new PC, do NOT buy Intel unless you gonna get i5/i7, anything less is a waste of money, and you can quote me on that!

I kinda agree...

I was thinking about building one as people have said its cheaper but is it worth the hassel?

Gud Luck

Core2Quad? *sighs* that's by far THE worst choice you can make, and for the last time just because a CPU has a large cache it does NOT necessarily mean it's better than the alternatives.

yeh..the diffence in price between a Quad and i5 is minimal...i5 will do,if not an AMD.

I was thinking about building one as people have said its cheaper but is it worth the hassel?

Yeah it is, may I suggest you check my thread (also in this forum section) "Core i5 750 vs Core i7 920" it should give you an idea.

Also you might wanna check the thread karachidude made "hardware upgrade" you'll find some useful information there :)

+1 with others

If you want to buy a mid-range (or high end) configuration you must go for I5 or I7 (s.1156 or 1366) !

++

Building your own computer cost more money. Where did people get this idea that building you own is cheaper? Think about it. OEMs buy large quantities of parts so they get huge discounts. With that discount, they pass the savings to you.

Why would OEMs pass the savings to consumers?

Competition. If HP doesn't pass it on, Dell will. With the savings, people will buy more. If you buy components that are not compatible, your are screwed. For example, you get DFI motherboard, with Intel SSD, with Nvidia, with Windows, with Gskill memory. You turned on the computer and BSOD. You go to DFI, DFI says it is Nvida, Nvida says it is the memory manufacture, Gskill says it is DFI, DFI says is Windows. It is always Windows. Build your own if you have money and time.

Most of the times, OEMs configure their computers a certain way because of compatibility.

Between the choices, I would go with DELL Quad Core.

Newer technology processor at a slower speed is still much faster than an older technology processor at a higher speed. This is an example, my Atom 1.66?? 1.5 GB Ram is much faster than the P4 @2.8 MHz with 2GB Ram. Both are using Win7. I kid you not. Also, an Atom can run Vista too and using Win7 did not make it any faster.

+1 on this.. My idea was to build a system with the most up to date tech...build a custom box.. ( if I got into the details you would be interested in theory..but it would take a lot of typing ) It was going to have dual processors..3.2 GHz Quads.. ( server-board ) and upgradeable to 16 GB of RAM.. This was to be able to stay ahead of advancements within the next several years..I wanted to build it flat.. ( not technically in a box ).. at minimum one SSD ( which were not even available yet.. ) I was going with one or to 2 GB Video PCI's..with dual monitors...So I would have plenty of power to do anything from 3D creation and modeling to .. who knows.. and I would not have to look back or upgrade for awhile..Over-clock it if possible and do some minor changes and forethought and really get into the numbers on it..before I finalized everything..

Then I priced 1 ( one ) processor...$3,000.00+ each..The board was upwards of $1,200.00...Which was like two pieces to the puzzle..So technically I came to the same conclusion, though in my case.. I sound like a power hungry 1's and 0's dictator...( sucking up old IBM's everywhere through the T1 )..LOL.. But its true.. for the time and money you will spend, the changes in how you use a system, the life of the parts, a GOOD configured system through one of the companies..can run you less money.. be there a lot quicker.. have better support and compatibility..a warranty...and in a year, maybe 3 or 4.. you can feel comfortable with replacing it with newer tech.. ( at which point mine would probably be last gen's monster and be in need of several very costly maintenance upgrades )..

So its like a car.. You have to consider you maintenance costs.. and have some forethought to what you are doing.. you might not see it now.. but maybe say five years down the road..maybe even three.. Save the self-built for when you have it to experiment..or you actually have the need..( I still wanna build it though )..Plus my main 'STOP and think what your doing first..' came when I thought about how technology may change just in the next three years and the rate at which that change has been increasing.. and the factors about why.. which comes from a lot of random digging..

Box, If you buy something from for exp. Dell.. You'll get some systems for not so expensive. BUT the thing is.. you have to pay for the brand to. That's why it's sometimes a big difference.

For example that Dell monster pc.. (orange thing), If I made the same one, it would cost me (in Holland) almost 150€ less..

(Yea I checked it, when I bought my pc..)

i would again recomment an i5 with a P55WB motherboard,it would cost the same.I am waiting for some cash,i will buy it soon.Amen

Box, If you buy something from for exp. Dell.. You'll get some systems for not so expensive. BUT the thing is.. you have to pay for the brand to. That's why it's sometimes a big difference.

For example that Dell monster pc.. (orange thing), If I made the same one, it would cost me (in Holland) almost 150€ less..

(Yea I checked it, when I bought my pc..)

That is what I usually do too. See what OEMs have to offer, and see if I can get almost the same for less. However, in this case, there are only two options: PC 1 or PC 2. For sure, you will pay for brand names if you buy Sony or Apple and get even less.

Dream System

There was this case. A mother wants to by her son a computer. The son told mom that he wanted to buy an Apple because it was a good brand but really expensive. The mother was reluctant but gave the son the money to buy an Apple computer. The son took the money, went to the store and bought a PC. The mom realized this and asked the son why you got a PC and not a Mac. The son told mom, I wanted the extra money to make my PC super fast.

+1 on this.. My idea was to build a system with the most up to date tech...build a custom box.. ( if I got into the details you would be interested in theory..but it would take a lot of typing ) It was going to have dual processors..3.2 GHz Quads.. ( server-board ) and upgradeable to 16 GB of RAM.. This was to be able to stay ahead of advancements within the next several years..I wanted to build it flat.. ( not technically in a box ).. at minimum one SSD ( which were not even available yet.. ) I was going with one or to 2 GB Video PCI's..with dual monitors...So I would have plenty of power to do anything from 3D creation and modeling to .. who knows.. and I would not have to look back or upgrade for awhile..Over-clock it if possible and do some minor changes and forethought and really get into the numbers on it..before I finalized everything..

Then I priced 1 ( one ) processor...$3,000.00+ each..The board was upwards of $1,200.00...Which was like two pieces to the puzzle..So technically I came to the same conclusion, though in my case.. I sound like a power hungry 1's and 0's dictator...( sucking up old IBM's everywhere through the T1 )..LOL.. But its true.. for the time and money you will spend, the changes in how you use a system, the life of the parts, a GOOD configured system through one of the companies..can run you less money.. be there a lot quicker.. have better support and compatibility..a warranty...and in a year, maybe 3 or 4.. you can feel comfortable with replacing it with newer tech.. ( at which point mine would probably be last gen's monster and be in need of several very costly maintenance upgrades )..

So its like a car.. You have to consider you maintenance costs.. and have some forethought to what you are doing.. you might not see it now.. but maybe say five years down the road..maybe even three.. Save the self-built for when you have it to experiment..or you actually have the need..( I still wanna build it though )..Plus my main 'STOP and think what your doing first..' came when I thought about how technology may change just in the next three years and the rate at which that change has been increasing.. and the factors about why.. which comes from a lot of random digging..

My..my..my. I am going to say this you the best way I know how. I have been there and done that twice. I still cry at night thinking of the money I wasted. If I had known then what I knew now, I would have not been so_______ (you guys fill in the blank).

Checked MSI Gamers?

http://global.msi.eu/index.php?func=prodpage2&maincat_no=135&cat2_no=271

:rolleyes:

Archived